Posted 5 years ago on June 15, 2012, 9:40 a.m. EST by ericweiss
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Sociopaths are usually defined as people displaying anti social behavior which is mainly characterized by lack of empathy towards others that is coupled with display of abnormal moral conduct and inability to conform with the norms of the society. Some of the other characteristics that sociopaths may display are stealing, lying, lack of remorse for others and towards living beings, irresponsible behavior, impulsive behavior, violating rights of others, and much more. People suffering from Sociopathic disorders tend to be superficially very charming and believable. They also tend to display behavior which include manipulation of people around them, desire to be in control of everything and everyone around them that usually leads to grave consequences and shallow emotions. SOCIOPATH SYMPTOMS AND TRAITS: For a person to be diagnosed as a sociopath he or she must have at least three or more of the below mentioned symptoms.
- Displays heightened levels of deceitfulness in dealings with others, which involves lying and conning others without remorse.
- Is so glib about lies, that the person may not know when they are lying.
- Inability to abide by the social norms.
- Displays complete lack of empathy for others – family, friends, even animals - and their situation for which they are responsible
- Laughs seem cold & planned
- Displays no feelings or shallow feelings only
- Displays impulsive, self centered behavior
- Displays no concern for safety of others around them
Research has revealed that since a sociopath never conforms to the rules of the society, he or she is not bothered about the consequences of his or her actions or lies. Such people are also able to inspire like minded people. Some of the other traits that are common in sociopathic people are that they are usually very intelligent and have a superficial charm and they are able to attain great success using unscrupulous methods. Thus they can also never learn from their own mistakes. SOCIOPATH RELATIONSHIPS: Sociopaths are known for their superficial charm, calculative and controlling behavior, which is one of the main reasons why they are able to decieve people and charm them with their smiling faces and good natures in a relationship. Relationships with sociopaths are really difficult to maintain as sociopaths are also masters of deceit and manipulations and they tend to take whole control of the relationship and the other person involved, leaving them feeling inferior. Sociopaths also never learn from their previous mistakes and they tend to commit the same mistake over and over again. They also never hesitate to manipulate their partners to gain control and power in the relationships and as they are remorseless, they use any means and methods possible to retain their control in the relationship and gain more power. Warning signs:
- inconsistencies between what a person says and does over time
- excuses or subject changing, when caught in a lie
- laughter that is obviously “canned” or even rehearsed
- no feeling of shame when caught an embarrassing situation or lie
- dodging the question, answering it in a way that doesn’t really answer it
- ability to sense vulnerabilities and motivated in using them for personal gain or pleasure, manipulate without remorse
- seeing any social situation as a contest or a test, with the goal of personal gain
- ability to understand rules & laws and judging them as a part of “the game”, but no ability for empathy or emotional understanding behind the rules
- disregard for safety of self or others
- cruelty to animals