Posted 3 years ago on Oct. 30, 2011, 10:51 a.m. EST by agnosticnixie
from Laval, QC
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
- Before posting, please ask yourself if you're actually making a contribution to on-topic discussion.
- Upvote comments you feel follow the first guideline.
- Downvote comments you feel do not follow the first guideline.
- Don't respond to threads that suck.
- If things go towards flame wars, please consider stepping back.
The following will not be tolerated:
- Safer Space. Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc. content is subject to moderation. We understand that many such behaviors are unfortunately common in society (like calling things "gay" or "retarded") so bans will be reserved for the worst/repeat offenders.
- No Platform. Conspiracy theories, will be removed immediately and the spammer will receive a swift global network ban. Fascist propaganda, will be treated with the similar actions. In that we are very specific about what fascism is: the word has a meaning.
- Stay On target. Off topic posts, low content posts, worthless posts, bumping, etc, will be moderated and removed. Repeat posting of the same off topic posts and spamming of links that have nothing to do with the subject at hand (case in point the Dylan bullshit) will be banned outright. Similarly posters who constantly post off-topic nonsense are straddling the line very close to a ban.
- We do not support an election campaign for 2012. At all. We have removed election material for Obama, Paul, Warren, Paul, Cain, Paul, Perry, Paul, the green party, Paul, Nader, Paul, and did I mention Paul? The spamming by the Ron Lawl 2012 fan club was getting out of hand. We will continue to remove such material and any call for the Paul 2012 campaign will, at this point, be considered spamming. End of. We're tired of hearing about it. Main street debates are also largely off topic.
- Red baiting will be moderated, as this is not 1952 and we are able to debate ideas without insulting anyone even slightly to the left as though they were Stalin reborn. Similarly, people on the right are not necessarily nazis.
- Trolling will be squashed whenever possible/reported/found out.
- Posting people's personal information on the website is prohibited.
- The continuous spamming of lies from various sources (like the non story about turning away the homeless, which was, as mentioned, a lie, or the mythical 500,000$, which a) doesn't exist, as our donate page can attest, and b) the 300,000$ account is being used constantly to pay for food, equipment, etc. (already on top of helping other occupations with more difficulty fundraising) will fall under spamming.
Please email email@example.com when people are breaking the rules.
When sending a complaint, you should always include the offending comment's permalink so that the moderators don't have to hunt for it. Click "permalink" under the offending comment. This will highlight the comment in yellow and give you a URL that leads directly to it. This URL will be given in your browser's address bar. Copy it, and paste in your complaint email. For example:
Notice the end of the URL (#comment-573579).
If you want to question a ban, also email abuse, we're open to discussion and at least one ban did get reverted; what you don't do is make a slew of sockpuppets. That's the best way for future bans to be immediate and without second thoughts.
There is lag between posting and viewing comments. Don't assume that because you don't see your comments immediately they're being removed. For one it makes you look like a complete ass when the comment finally shows up, especially if you posted 3-4 copies of it.
The points you see and the upvote/downvote thing is tied to the like/dislike buttons. If you hit like on someone's comments, it's +1, if you hit dislike, it's -1. Also rules apply to news comments.
Due to software limitations forum posts are limited to about 5,000 characters; that's about 1-2 pages of text. If your posts really need more, you can finish the post in the comments (which can actually take about twice that amount).