Posted 10 years ago on Nov. 7, 2011, 5:30 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
On November 23rd, the Congressional Deficit Reduction Super-Committee will meet to decide on whether or not to keep Obama's extension to the Bush tax-cuts - which only benefit the richest 1% of Americans in any kind of significant way. Luckily, a group of OWS'ers are embarking on a two-week march from Liberty Plaza to the Whitehouse to let the committee know what the 99% think about these cuts. Join the march to make sure these tax cuts for the richest 1% of Americans are allowed to die!
The 20 mile a day/2 week march from Liberty Square to DC is set to leave this Wednesday, November 9 at noon. On Wednesday we'll be leaving Liberty Square and marching to the New York Waterway/Hudson River Ferry and onward to Elizabeth, NJ. This is our ﬁrst stop. Everyone is welcome to join this two week march. If you'd like to participate, but can't commit for two weeks you're welcome to join us for the day or help send us off!
The march is being organized by a few of us here at OWS. We will be in DC by Nov
23 for the Congressional Super Committee meeting. This committee has the power
to keep the Bush tax cuts (that only beneﬁt the top 1%) or let them expire. We want
to be there to ﬁght for the 99%! We will also be connecting with Occupy Philly and
Occupy Baltimore along the route, and, of course, Occupy DC!
A major draw for this march is to encourage more people in rural communities to get involved as well as bring spreading the word along the highway. We are hoping people will join the march along the way; whether for an hour, a day, or the full two weeks, we feel its imperative for OWS to be involved in the historical signiﬁcance of long distance marches to support, promote, and encourage economic and social equality. We will be walking from 9am to to 5pm (banker hours) and will hold nightly GA's and/or discussions at 7pm in each town where we camp. We will be spending two days off at Occupy Philly and Occupy Baltimore. We are hoping a few people from these occupations will join us in the march to the White House and Occupy DC!
Our route is as follows:
- 11/9/11: Liberty Square to Elizabeth, NJ
- 11/10/11: Elizabeth, NJ to New Brunswick, NJ
- 11/11/11: New Brunswick, NJ to Trenton, NJ
- 11/12/11: Trenton, NJ to Andalusia, PA
- 11/13/11: Andalusia, PA to Occupy Philly
- 11/14/11: DAY OFF AT OCCUPY PHILLY
- 11/15/11: Occupy Philly to Wilmington, DE
- 11/16/11: Wilmington, DE to Newark, DE
- 11/17/11: Newark, DE to Rising Sun, MD
- 11/18/11: Rising Sun, MD to Bel Air, MD
- 11/19/11: Bel Air, MD to Occupy Baltimore
- 11/20/11: DAY OFF AT OCCUPY BALTIMORE
- 11/21/11: Occupy Baltimore to Laurel, MD
- 11/22/11: Laurel, MD to Occupy DC
- 11/23/11: Occupy DC to The White House for Super Committee meeting