Forum Post: OWS THINK TANK, OWS Advanced Research Projects Agency (OARPA), Creative, Off the Wall, Strategies
Posted 6 months ago on Nov. 6, 2012, 12:52 p.m. EST by Middleaged
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Like to try inutitive thinking while I write.
Thinking I have been indoctrinated as much as anyone else about what we must not think about by both the Left and the Right.
Everyone here has Looked for Trends in Politics and Corporate Shennanigans, Looked at Risks and Fears, Looked at Solutions, argued about Ideology, Discussed Education, Many are teaching and speaking, Networking, building communities, starting local thinking global awareness...
Not sure if there is a Simple Ideology that expresses what everyone wants, but it is worth many attempts.
A) Love People, Care for your community, Look for Grassroots Solutions, beware of Financial Schemes, beware of Politicians, beware of deregulation, take care of the environment, Don't Make war, Preserve Individual Rights/Civil rights/Privacy Rights, Preserve Social Safety nets, Make Health Care and Education Afordable.
B) Same as A above, but believes everyone has to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.
C) Same as A above, but wants to deregulate businesses and expand petroleum drilling and Fracking, wants to increase investment in defense, and wants to Cut taxes.
Well ...I guess that approach doesn't get us very far, but think most people would support Ideology A as many of us like Thrid Party Platforms (in my opinion).
So if Ideology A is enough of a start, then What Ideas for Strategies that are completely Off the Wall are worth kicking around. We all have ridgid Ideas of what is Right & Wrong. Put aside those Ideas for a minute.
For Instance the Socialist Karl Marx and Friedrich Engles back in 1848 (or something like that) predicted the Corruption that the USA has become within the Capitalist System.
But to me, there is no place in the US to Discuss this ...or even honestly Look at Capitalism and Socialism. We have had socialism since like 1935 in the USA (OASDI). SS is the #1 most popular government program in US History. Anyway the Point is We have capitalism & Socialism and we have to have Regulations to Fight Corruption.
So you are the OWS Think Tank.
The Problem: Bankers and Money Interests have taken Control of the US Congress, US President, and Federal Regulatory Agencies. In another sense it is Corporate Federalism, or Fascism (marriage of government and corporations...but correct me if I am wrong). A symptom of the Siezure of the US Government is the Global War on Terrorism and the Making of War.
My Limited Understanding of Grassroots Solutions
1) Libertarians: Want to reverse Federalization and Return Power to the States... somehow dismantling federal systems and authority.
2) OWS and G8 Protestors have raised awareness for over a decade, but have gained 1 Million Supportors (or much more...correct me here).
3) Many Million People are Teaching the Kids about War and Government Corruption, and the Financial Crisis. Looks like much of Grassroots and OWS is about Educating and Learning. Buy Local, Shop Local, Bank Local.
4) The Petition Drives should keep going. Petitions teach people and reach people one on one. Eventually Petition Volunteers will Educate more and more people that never got educated or were exposed to OWS.
5) Many Smart People are magnifying the Total Force and Impact of OWS by using their Law Skills, Financial Skills, Becoming a Congressional Watchdog, and by doing Research Reporting and Writing. An Effect to deter competition is a point of Law. And Conflict of Interest is a Point of Law. Refusal to carry Out Duties to Prosecute Fraud and Criminal Activity is a Crime. And I keep thinking there are laws similar to RICO Laws about Racketeering that can be applied (Matt Taibbi???).
6) Mortgage Bubble Collaspe and 2008 Financial Crisis caused a backlash that has educated Millions of Americans about Banking, Finance, Economics, Politics, How Washington Really Works, How Campaign Finance Works, How Lobbying Works, Who Lobbyist Are, US tax System, Corporate and Hedge Fund Tax rates, Etc.
7) And these Crisis have in effect Created by Backlash... Networks that Oppose Corruption in the US and In the World. OWS Protestors are now connected to Media, Money, Publishers, Writers, Film Makers, Regulators, Educators, and Acedemia.
8) The USA is now Smarter having gone through the pain of the 2007-2008 Crashes. We can't go back to being Blissfully Ignorant - Not all the way back. Way TOO Much Money was Lost for the US to get all snuggly and warm again. Many Voters will be questioning the IMF and WB not to mention the WTO, NAFTA, CAFTA, TPP, and NATO... as well as all the old Military bases in Germany, South Korea, and Japan.
9) If you Predict we are in a kind of Civil Rights Movement right now and accept that suppression of protests has worked somewhat ...then that sort of leads into Strategies. I personally don't know anything about protest preparation and protest strategies. But think increasing Media attension is the stated problem. Video Work and Film are probably very effective (again I don't know)
Summarizing A) Protest Strategies B) Video and Film Strategies C) Education Strategies D) Petition Strategies E) Network Strategies F) Lawyer & Financial Expert Strategies for Laws and Lawsuits G) Grassroot Community get-togethers H) Government Watchdoging I) Reports and Published Investigations J) Townhall Meeting with Congressmen to Ask them about Corporate Welfare in an Agenda set to only Talk about Corporate Welfare K) Public Criticism of government particpation in specific agencies and organizations. L) Third Party Candidates M) Participation in Political Party Third Party N) Warn People with Pension and Retirement Plans to see how funds are invested and to see if the funds have been fully invested in by Employeer or State (Public education about Zombie private equity funds in pension plans) O) Focus on Corruption P) Learn More about Taxes, tax abatements, Corporate Tax rates and Corporate Welfare Q) Ask Where is the Next Bubble, where are the financial guys going to strike the Economy Next? - Then Sound the Alarm to get your community out of the way of the financial Bubble R) Start an OWS Think Tank, write down Objectives, Goals, Strategies, Mission.
I have Pretty Much Failed here to Brainstorm any new Strategy, but I remembered a couple I just heard
Mission: Take Back Congress
Objectives: A) Get rid of bankers working as regulators B) Get rid of Giethner, Bernanke, Holder, Schapiro, Grunberg C) Get Money out of Politics D) Reinstate Glass-Steagall,
Strategies, Listed Individually for Objectives.
Goals, Prosecute Fraud, Promote Conservitive Accounting and Auditing prosedures in the US, Keep Bankers out of Government Jobs, Use the SEC and FDIC to Prosecute bad behavior in banking, Use FBI to prosecute Major Fraud, regulate the shadow banking areas,
Bill Black testified against the Keating Five and prosecuted with others 3000 cases against bankers in the 90s. The Result is Congress won't go after their Big Campaign Contributors any more. Worse, Obama has Scared Whistleblowers away from blowing the Whistle.
Local Law Enforcement have been federalized to a degree. They have been added to alert networks, given new equipments, provided contacts to regional fusion centers for emergency coordination, established relationships and formal relationships to glue them to the federal machinery. This complicates any effort for States to try to pull back from federal control or federal systems.
Some people believe we are indanger of another collapse from Un-Regulated Derivatives (Unregulated and not even Transparent for people to see and total up into Dollars) which could be $1 Quadrillion Dollars World Wide. This is part of the Case for more Banking Regulations. And this is the kind of thing that Marx and Engles were warning of being a danger in Capitalism.