Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: HR 1084---------A Fracking Issue

Posted 12 years ago on March 4, 2012, 12:06 p.m. EST by Nevada1 (5843)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

H.R. 1084 the Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals (FRAC) Act, would again put hydraulic fracturing under regulation of the Safe Drinking Water Act. This bill introduced by Representative Diana Degette last year, has been recommended to committee. Let's push HR 1084 to the floor, by contacting our Representatives in Congress.

66 Comments

66 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by timirninja (263) 12 years ago
[-] 1 points by Lollerkoff (2) 12 years ago

Why are people using the F-word so much here? D:

[-] 1 points by timirninja (263) 12 years ago

cause they seek and tired of posts like this: http://occupywallst.org/forum/when-is-violence-necessary/#comment-668885

[-] 1 points by Nevada1 (5843) 12 years ago

Hi tim, Goes to a link, then another link, then a UTube. Live rural and am on old phone line, and can't load video. Best Regards

[-] 1 points by timirninja (263) 12 years ago

all links works just fine. It has entertainment purpose. One direction are cutting the edge from the top of the pyramid, another direction (my understanding) goes to protest against Fracking industry https://secure.sierraclub.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=7674 And the same time my controversial thought about Fracking Issue. A Fracking Chemical Appears in Wyoming Aquifer: "has caused their water to turn black and smell like gasoline" - Well in that matter is clearly predictable that we have ecological catastrophe, but Hey, Life is dangerous thing any way (if you follow first direction you'll see 2pac video) http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/11/fracking-chemical-appears-wyoming-aquifer/44915/ Thank for your question

[-] 3 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Yes. Excellent post, Nevada.

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (5843) 12 years ago

Hi GirlFriday, Thank you. Nice to see you. 1084, a valuable tool. We can apply pressure and push this through Congress. Best Regards

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (5843) 11 years ago

Desperate trolls out today.

The truth is getting out there.

Please see foodandwaterwatch.org

Petitions and info about critical water and food issues.

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1084

To repeal the exemption for hydraulic fracturing in the Safe Drinking Water Act, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 15, 2011

Ms. DEGETTE (for herself, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. POLIS, Mr. ACKERMAN, Mr. BERMAN, Mrs. CAPPS, Mr. CONNOLLY of Virginia, Mr. ELLISON, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. FARR, Mr. FRANK of Massachusetts, Mr. GRIJALVA, Ms. HIRONO, Mr. HOLT, Mr. HONDA, Mr. KILDEE, Mr. KUCINICH, Mrs. LOWEY, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. MCCOLLUM, Mr. MORAN, Ms. MOORE, Mr. NADLER, Mr. PALLONE, Ms. PINGREE of Maine, Mr. SARBANES, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. STARK, Mr. TONKO, Mr. VAN HOLLEN, Mr. WEINER, and Ms. WOOLSEY) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

To repeal the exemption for hydraulic fracturing in the Safe Drinking Water Act, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. REGULATION OF HYDRAULIC FRACTURING.

(a) Hydraulic Fracturing- Section 1421(d)(1) of the Safe Drinking Water Act (42 U.S.C. 300h(d)(1)) is amended by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:

`(B) includes the underground injection of fluids or propping agents pursuant to hydraulic fracturing operations related to oil, gas, or geothermal production activities; but

`(C) excludes the underground injection of natural gas for purposes of storage.'.

(b) Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Chemicals; Medical Emergencies; Proprietary Chemical Formulas- Section 1421(b) of the Safe Drinking Water Act (42 U.S.C. 300H(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(4)(A) Regulations included under paragraph (1)(C) shall include the following requirements:

`(i) A person conducting hydraulic fracturing operations shall disclose to the State (or the Administrator if the Administrator has primary enforcement responsibility in the State)--

`(I) prior to the commencement of any hydraulic fracturing operations at any lease area or portion thereof, a list of chemicals intended for use in any underground injection during such operations, including identification of the chemical constituents of mixtures, Chemical Abstracts Service numbers for each chemical and constituent, material safety data sheets when available, and the anticipated volume of each chemical; and

`(II) not later than 30 days after the end of any hydraulic fracturing operations, the list of chemicals used in each underground injection during such operations, including identification of the chemical constituents of mixtures, Chemical Abstracts Service numbers for each chemical and constituent, material safety data sheets when available, and the volume of each chemical used.

`(ii) The State or the Administrator, as applicable, shall make the disclosure of chemical constituents referred to in clause (i) available to the public, including by posting the information on an appropriate Internet Web site.

`(iii) Whenever the State or the Administrator, or a treating physician or nurse, determines that a medical emergency exists and the proprietary chemical formula of a chemical used in hydraulic fracturing operations is necessary for medical treatment, the person conducting the hydraulic fracturing operations shall, upon request, immediately disclose the proprietary chemical formulas or the specific chemical identity of a trade secret chemical to the State, the Administrator, or the treating physician or nurse, regardless of whether a written statement of need or a confidentiality agreement has been provided. The person conducting the hydraulic fracturing operations may require a written statement of need and a confidentiality agreement as soon thereafter as circumstances permit.

`(B) Subparagraphs (A)(i) and (A)(ii) do not authorize the State (or the Administrator) to require the public disclosure of proprietary chemical formulas.'.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.1084:

Hi Matt, Thank you for post. Best Regards

This is a good thread.

Hi RogerDee, Thank you for link. We can't drink gas. Water is too precious to put at risk. Best Regards

Petroleum companies are preparing to sell fracking gas from the Marcelles Shale overseas. So, land destroyed, water poisioned, faucets flame, all under the guise of energy independence and lower cost for Americans.

[-] 2 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

We all need to push hard on this one. This is an important one to win.

Hi therising, Yes!

[-] 1 points by Nevada1 (5843) 11 years ago

New petition on Sierra Club site.

Everyone should see GASLAND.

Good Sierra Club petitions regarding frack and XL pipe

http://t.co/dqTtodo

http://t.co/ncebvn5

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

HR 1084 IH

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1084

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 15, 2011

Ms. DEGETTE (for herself, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. POLIS, Mr. ACKERMAN, Mr. BERMAN, Mrs. CAPPS, Mr. CONNOLLY of Virginia, Mr. ELLISON, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. FARR, Mr. FRANK of Massachusetts, Mr. GRIJALVA, Ms. HIRONO, Mr. HOLT, Mr. HONDA, Mr. KILDEE, Mr. KUCINICH, Mrs. LOWEY, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. MCCOLLUM, Mr. MORAN, Ms. MOORE, Mr. NADLER, Mr. PALLONE, Ms. PINGREE of Maine, Mr. SARBANES, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. STARK, Mr. TONKO, Mr. VAN HOLLEN, Mr. WEINER, and Ms. WOOLSEY) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. REGULATION OF HYDRAULIC FRACTURING.

(a) Hydraulic Fracturing- Section 1421(d)(1) of the Safe Drinking Water Act (42 U.S.C. 300h(d)(1)) is amended by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:

`(B) includes the underground injection of fluids or propping agents pursuant to hydraulic fracturing operations related to oil, gas, or geothermal production activities; but

`(C) excludes the underground injection of natural gas for purposes of storage.'.

(b) Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Chemicals; Medical Emergencies; Proprietary Chemical Formulas- Section 1421(b) of the Safe Drinking Water Act (42 U.S.C. 300H(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(4)(A) Regulations included under paragraph (1)(C) shall include the following requirements:

`(i) A person conducting hydraulic fracturing operations shall disclose to the State (or the Administrator if the Administrator has primary enforcement responsibility in the State)--

`(I) prior to the commencement of any hydraulic fracturing operations at any lease area or portion thereof, a list of chemicals intended for use in any underground injection during such operations, including identification of the chemical constituents of mixtures, Chemical Abstracts Service numbers for each chemical and constituent, material safety data sheets when available, and the anticipated volume of each chemical; and

`(II) not later than 30 days after the end of any hydraulic fracturing operations, the list of chemicals used in each underground injection during such operations, including identification of the chemical constituents of mixtures, Chemical Abstracts Service numbers for each chemical and constituent, material safety data sheets when available, and the volume of each chemical used.

`(ii) The State or the Administrator, as applicable, shall make the disclosure of chemical constituents referred to in clause (i) available to the public, including by posting the information on an appropriate Internet Web site.

`(iii) Whenever the State or the Administrator, or a treating physician or nurse, determines that a medical emergency exists and the proprietary chemical formula of a chemical used in hydraulic fracturing operations is necessary for medical treatment, the person conducting the hydraulic fracturing operations shall, upon request, immediately disclose the proprietary chemical formulas or the specific chemical identity of a trade secret chemical to the State, the Administrator, or the treating physician or nurse, regardless of whether a written statement of need or a confidentiality agreement has been provided. The person conducting the hydraulic fracturing operations may require a written statement of need and a confidentiality agreement as soon thereafter as circumstances permit.

`(B) Subparagraphs (A)(i) and (A)(ii) do not authorize the State (or the Administrator) to require the public disclosure of proprietary chemical formulas.'.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.1084:

Hi Matt, Thank you for posts. Best Regards

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

Looks like fracking will have to report to the safe water board

I vote yes

Love this thread.

[-] 1 points by GypsyKing (8708) 12 years ago

So do I!

They troll, we post more. They make threats, we post even more.

[-] 2 points by GypsyKing (8708) 12 years ago

There would be no way for me to overstate my emphatic agreement with that!

Hey Dick, Drink some fracking fluid. It is safe to drink, and you will not have to get that heart transplant.

Got the Troll Seal of Approval validating the cause, from the Troll Fracking Commission.

[-] 1 points by PopsMauler (182) from Chicago, IL 12 years ago

Thanks a ton for posting Nevada1. I didn't know anything about fracking until reading it here. Way to reach out and spread awareness!

Hi Pops, Your are welcome.

A crime against humanity. A crime against all living things.

Please see the documentary "Gas Land". Everyone needs to see this.

Best Regards, Nevada

[-] 1 points by PopsMauler (182) from Chicago, IL 12 years ago

I will check that out as soon as I can Nevada. Thanks for the suggestion!

[-] 1 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

Absolutely. Thanks for posting this!!!!

Cheney needs to drink the water for a year or two. That should jump start his heart.

[-] 1 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

:-)

Hi therising, Your post is missing.

[-] 0 points by DumbDick (4) 12 years ago

It's on top of his head.

Edit: Oh, I thunk you said "point" not "post". I can see his post. It's sticking out of the ground and has some barbed wire running to a couple others.

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

FreeDiscussion is a dirtbag.

No reason to respond except to point out that in can be nailed in 20 minutes by clicking on the comments tab.

[-] 0 points by FreeDiscussion5 (12) 12 years ago

I guess you dont have anything else to do. Charge batteries?

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Are you afraid?

[-] 1 points by FreeDiscussion5 (12) 12 years ago

Yes,,, why? Am I on Fear Factor?

You have only used one filthy word on me today. Last night you must have lubed up pretty good. For an 80 year old,,, you sure are active.

[-] 0 points by GreatBallsOfFire (11) 12 years ago

Goodness Gracious!

[-] 1 points by infonomics (393) 12 years ago

Do realize that you just cited someone for excessive reading? Excessive reading is not the problem we have in America; rather, it is the absence of reading that we should be concerned.

[-] -1 points by JesusDemocrat (193) 12 years ago

on the taxpayer dollar no less

as well as though she should

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

How so?

Hi GirlFriday, Thank you for being here. Do they really think they can scare us? Best Regards, Nevada

[-] -3 points by leonardsova (-24) 12 years ago

drill baby drill

[-] 3 points by shoozTroll (17632) 12 years ago

Oh boy. A dated bumper sticker.

How astute.

[-] -3 points by leonardsova (-24) 12 years ago

You clowns are going to march right off the cliff, with your failed leader Obummer

[-] 3 points by shoozTroll (17632) 12 years ago

Another one late to the party.

Bush already ran us over the cliff.

You should pay more attention.

[-] 3 points by Nevada1 (5843) 12 years ago

Hi shooz, Another troll is more validation that our cause is just, and how frightened the frackers are of us. The troll has motivated me to keep this post high on page for a while. The troll posts are helping to do that as well. Best Regards, Nevada

[-] 2 points by shoozTroll (17632) 12 years ago

I have no problem with that Nevada........................:)

I'll give it a bump myself..........................:)

Thank you shooz.

[-] 2 points by shoozTroll (17632) 12 years ago

I'll believe fraking is safe, when they start fraking under their gated "communities".

Agree.

[-] -3 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Hi DKA, Excellent, the fight is on.

[+] -4 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Hey Nevada 1

I'm placing this all over in regards to protecting our environment. I put it out on Facebook and Twitter also. Everyone support HR 1084.

Got to get the word out. Make direct action available to those who will take part.

Thank you DKA, Let's go viral with it.

[+] -5 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

One can only try.

Hey?

3/04/2012 - take action

It should be regulated under clean water - Safe Drinking Water Act. How could it not be? That would be insane. Let corporations decide money over life? I shudder to think. I will back this measure wholeheartedly. I will see what I can find on movements and actions to participate in. Thanks for posting this. It needs serious and immediate attention. Thanks Nevada 1.

Protect us from fracking petition.

http://action.sierraclub.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&id=7674

It should be regulated under clean water - Safe Drinking Water Act. How could it not be? That would be insane. Let corporations decide money over life? I shudder to think. I will back this measure wholeheartedly. I will see what I can find on movements and actions to participate in. Thanks for posting this. It needs serious and immediate attention. Thanks Nevada 1.