Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Why is California paying over $5.00 a gal for gasoline?

Posted 11 years ago on Oct. 22, 2012, 8:41 p.m. EST by Shayneh (-482)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I'm just curious and want to know if anyone can answer this question.

I have always said that we can control the cost of gasoline in this country if we produce more oil and refine it by building more oil refineries.

However, everyone disagrees and don't want to believe that so they want to blame high gasoline prices on global supply and demand.

So, if that's the case why is California is paying over $5.00 a gallon and the rest of the country paying a little over $3.50 or more?

Oil prices have come down a few dollars over the past few months so I would think that Californias prices should have come down too.

So the question is why did the gasoline price go up in California when the price of a barrel of oil has come down?

15 Comments

15 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by hchc (3297) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

The game is rigged.

[-] 1 points by SparkyJP (1646) from Westminster, MD 11 years ago

If you factor in the true cost of a gallon of gas — war for oil, environmental destruction, tax subsidies and tax breaks and oil market speculation — then the true cost comes to about $14 per gallon.

By the way, for 30 years, the U.S. Congress votes down bills that would remove billions in tax subsidies and tax breaks each year for the oil corporations. Who says billions in bribe money is wasted?

[-] 1 points by Shule (2638) 11 years ago

Did you also add in the cost for building and maintaining roads, paying traffic police and state troopers who are essential for keeping drivers behaved, jail space and rehab for drunken and other reckless drivers, ambulance and accident clean up costs, light bills to keep streets lit, etc.?

[-] 1 points by SparkyJP (1646) from Westminster, MD 11 years ago

We will have these costs whatever fuel is used.

True, but that is also what needs to be included when driving a vehicle down a road. Right now the money to cover those costs is largely gotten from elsewhere; essentially subsidizing the cost of driving. The more fair and reasonable place to obtain those monies is atop the price of each gallon of gas.

[-] 1 points by freewriterguy (882) 11 years ago

its because our government is taxing oil companies 117 million dollars a day which in turn is passed down in cost to us at the pump, which has another 47 to 65 cents a gallon imposed upon us by our police state government.

[-] 1 points by DebtNEUTRALITYpetition (647) 11 years ago

I recently paid 4.49 for premium leaded. California has a few built in taxes, and they periodically have fires that shut down plants at key times causes price spikes.

November starts the winter blend, which should cause prices to drop. Either way, lower cost gasoline encourages the purchase of gas guzzlers, which is about the dumbest thing we could be doing these days.

[-] 1 points by DanielBarton (1345) 11 years ago

taxes and EPA regulations among other things

[-] 0 points by Shule (2638) 11 years ago

I'm not so sure high gasoline prices are really all that bad. Maybe the State of California is trying to give you a hint; i.e. you should drive less.

For all pollution and other detrimental side effects caused by driving autos, and the general the overconsumption of petrol, if would be a good idea if folks started getting the hint.

[-] 1 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

With regard to you comment to "high gasoline prices aren't really all that bad" - tell that to those folks who spend an hour on the road each way each and every day -

Yup, I hope they are listening. They shouldn't be doing that. There are ways around it. I bet a lot of those folks are driving single occupancy in large SUVs also.

[-] 0 points by TheRazor (-329) 11 years ago

California has failed to build adequate refinery volume to handle gasoline demand.

[-] 0 points by Grimreaper2 (-318) 11 years ago

Part of the problem is the state Air Resouces Board. They are answerable to no one. They decree we have special formula gas.

[-] -1 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

So I guess the bottom line is that if we buid more oil refinereis gasoline prices would come down - right? '