Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: what obama should say? fdr from 1936

Posted 11 years ago on July 11, 2012, 6:33 a.m. EST by flip (7101)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

We have not come this far without a struggle and I assure you we cannot go further without a struggle.

For twelve years this Nation was afflicted with hear-nothing, see-nothing, do-nothing Government. The Nation looked to Government but the Government looked away . . . Powerful influences strive today to restore that kind of government with its doctrine that that Government is best which is most indifferent . . .

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace — business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me — and I welcome their hatred.

19 Comments

19 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by bensdad (8977) 11 years ago

I heard Carville last nite - he brought out a totally obvious point - that became clearer as the last few months shoved the health care debate in front of us again - Obama must NOT discuss things from the macro-economic / government jargon perspective. EVERYTHING he says MUST SPECIFICALLY tie to people

[-] 2 points by flip (7101) 11 years ago

right but that points out one of the basic problems wiht our leaders - what they say and what they do are too often different. Winston Churchill pointed out that, "words are easy and many, while great deeds are difficult and rare"?

[-] 1 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

is this the clip you are referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4hc6NKL54M

here's the same clip, better upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5mLW0UjRA

[-] 2 points by bensdad (8977) 11 years ago

OMG - another OWS traitor - you watch that damn liberal msm msnbc
stop cluttering you mind with facts :)

thanQ!

[-] 1 points by 1sealyon (434) 11 years ago

FDR talked a good game but when he needed heavy lifting where did he turn? He turned to the very businesses whose hatred he claimed to welcome:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/business/in-freedoms-forge-us-industry-as-war-hero-review.html?_r=1

[-] 1 points by flip (7101) 11 years ago

not sure what your point is -fdr and keynes were very explicit in stating that they were saving capitalism. fdr was born into the ruling elite but none of that changes the truth of what he said. and who would you turn to to build the tanks and planes needed for ww2 - migrant workers - bakers? many of those businesss made huge money during this period and they realized how they could profit from government contracts - thus the cold war is a response to the country sliding back into recession after ww2. doesn't change what fdr did or said. we need him now - or a better version

The point is that FDR was no different than any politician that uses populist rhetoric to get elected (the hatred speech was made just prior to his third run) but knows that the foundation of the US economy is business. In fact big businesses were given special preference for war contracts.

If FDR was such an enemy of monopolies why did he champion the biggest monopoly of them all, the US Fed Gov.

did you read what i wrote? doesn't look like it. he was a capitalist - we all know that - the difference in monopolies is that one is a private tyranny (a huge authoritarian sociopathic monster - that would be corporations if you were wondering) and the other is (at least in theory) or could be under democratic control. that is why silly sealyons and republicans hate it so much. here is chomsky on the subject - keep in mind you are one of the beasts no matter that you shill for them (the ruling elite, that is) - "Well, that illustrates one of the dilemmas of dominance that I had in mind. one problem is how do you control the domestic population. The great beast, as Alexander Hamilton called the people. They're always a problem. The beast is always getting out of control. One of the main problems of governance, I'm sure you study this in all of your political science courses, is how do you keep the great beast in a cage?

Can we live without the insults?

good to hear - it was silly of me

No, just flipant.

very nice

[-] 0 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

So? He was still correct that they hated him, and still correct that he welcomed the hatred.

That doesn't make it wrong to ask them to help! In fact it is masterful. And in the end those hateful corp interests did just fine.

Peace

There was no hatred, it was in fact a love fest.

Check out this reference. Interesting facts: 139 executives at GM alone died on the job trying to win WWII. Overall There were 20 times the number casualties at American Corporations than there were in battle.

Heavy lifting indeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/business/in-freedoms-forge-us-industry-as-war-hero-review.html?_r=1

[-] 2 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Oh yeah those poor corporations.

Who cares!! It's just meaningless numbers. percentages, statistics.

Let them make some financial sacrifices NOW!!! That might impress me. Stop standing in the way of improving the peoples lives.

People ahead of profits.

Peace

It is interesting how much the US was able to achieve when the Nation pulled together in pursuit of a common cause.

[-] 1 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

We need that again. The only group not "pulling together" are the wealthy.

Greedy selfish bastards!

Sorry

Peace

Alienating a group with pejoratives does little to inspire unity.

[-] 2 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Yes you are correct of course. I am wrong. And I apologize again. Truth is there is a group of "millionaires for the 99%" so they're not all greedy, selfish bastards.

Only some.

Peace

[Removed]