Posted 11 months ago on June 3, 2012, 8:37 p.m. EST by Middleaged
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
We are Boiling Frogs, What Models Do we have to Fix Jobs, add manufacturing?
The US Model that going to College will give you a job is based on Capitalism, Production, and Consumerism: 'Age' of Industrialization and Corporate Power. We depend on Energy, Use tons of Resources to support our 'Conspicuous Consumption', Our trade with the world produces tons of pollution, the economic system relies on money flow, consumption, trade, 'Political Status Quo', and a work force that follows country and business leaders in exchange for wages.
The Weaknesses: A) Coporations have 'Outsourced' manufacturing, telecommunication customer service, natural resources, consumer textiles, clothes, toys, household products, office equipment, home furnishings, food, and furniture. B) Consumption of world's natural resources is 'Unsustainable' anyway C) Current Banking System causes inflation of home prices, consumer goods, and transporation systems D) Current Banking System funnels money toward risky investments, private equity firms, hedge funds, and complicated and risky Derivatives E) Current Banking System Lobbies the Federal Government on behalf of corporations and loose regulations F) Wealthy have learned to set up Shell Companies and 'Off Shore' Profits to Avoid Taxes and Liabilities.
Any Other Possible Models Other Than A Mixed Economy in A Limited Republic (Congressional Represenatives, Capitalism with Social Programs and Social Safety Nets)???
Doesn't seem likely there can be any other Political-Economic-Social System in the USA. But Everyone understands Constitutional Amendments can change the US Model (Whatever it is today).
Platform or New Model Ideas:
1) People are Asking for Limits On the Powers of New York Banks. Checks and Balances and Limits of the Power of Banks ...CAN make US Banks work for Main Street ...AND All Levels Of Government. We have Checks and Balances in the Federal Government to Limit the Powers of Office and Institutions.
2) Protect Our US Manfuacturing. Do you think Germany ignores the need for strong National Manufacturing sector and the needs of these corporations? Germany has many social programs to educate it's people, get them to work, and make the labor force sustainable.
Specific help for Controlling Banks:
1) Make Banks become "Utilities" like water or electric with profit controls, leverage controls (less than 10 to 1), fractional reseve controls (minimum on hand assets), Interest Rate controls (Student Loans at either 6% or 8%, Small Business Loans either 6% or 8%), Off Balance Sheet transaction controls (to make explicite what is allowed and what is prohibited), and transparency of credentials for bank loan officers and mortgage specialist.
2) New York Investment Banks would be controlled under a catagory for all US Banks that must have transparency over all investments, Investments must have independent Ratings, Independent Ratings must rate the investment based on compensation packages of executives to illuminate expensive benefits, deferred wages, deferred taxes, under funded pension funds, expensive pension and union benefits.
3) New York Banks would have caps for Risk High Yeild Investments based on total corporate capitalization (dollar value of the bank), derivatives produced by bank would be limited, derivatives held by the bank would be limited, and fractional reserve or bank assets backing investments would be controlled below $1 to $35 dollars invested (leveraged).
4) Bank privilages to create money (debt) would hinge on rules of incorporation to show a public benefit. Lending to Main Street or to Small Businesses and Small Business Startups.
5) Control and Audit the Federal Reserve (Checks and balances). FED Lending globally leads to inflation.
6) Checks and Balances for Shadow Banking. Private Banking is not regulated and represents 'systemic risk' to a) Future financial crashes b) Taxpayer liability c) Inflation by increasing the money supply or US Debt.
7) US Individual Savings Accounts Interest Rates should be minimum 5% or 6% since the government bailouts and fractional reserve banking have inflated the dollar.
8) We should have more transparent economic and banking data to include tracking the loss of full time jobs, loss of higher wage jobs, number of people that have given up on looking for a job, number of US Tax payers that don't pay taxes, who are wealthy that pay low tax rates, what kind of income or carried interest was earned that was not taxed, how many US Taxpayers differed wages during the tax year, money lent to small businesses, small manfuacturers, growth of the GDP attributable to financial transactions - so that we can subtract it, Cost of Living and Inflation data which is inclusive of beef, fish, gasoline, car prices, and house prices.
9) Make Shell Corporations Illegal.
10) Make Lobbying Congress Illegal. We can all contribute $5 at most. No corporate campaign contributions. Politicans can use the internet at very low cost to put out their message. And news reporters will love putting them on TV in interviews for free...
Specific help for Jobs:
1) Creating an Environment For Starting Small Businesses (The new financial bubble is investing in small businesses and small manufacturing in the USA)
2) Create Incentive programs in K-12 through small Grants of $2000 - $4000, and in Colleges and Tech Training Schools of $5000 - $6000 to test new inventions, create contests in science, agricultural labs, greenhouses, etc.
3) Go to a Tariff system on imported Goods (start at 1%).
4) Stimulate manufacturing with "Economics Free Zones" in states and cities across the USA which would remove barriors to businesses, reduced taxes, reduced liscenses, reduced certifcation requirements, no unions, reduced sales tax, reduced production tax, reduced capitol investment tax, maybe customers would not have to pay sales taxes either.
5) Stimulate manufacturing by providing small grants to trade schools and to students toward teaching them about business and how to start a manufacturing enterprise (laboratories, agricultural plots, energy and alternative energy testing projects, chemistry projects, hazardous waste control technology).
6) Stimulate manufacturing by identifying banks that would lend to new businesses, establish new small business federal loan programs at federal loan rate of 6% or 8%, identify technologies that will be trends in the future and will be focus of federal loan program (waste disposal, recycling, energy, autos, mass transportation).
7) Stimulate business creation with additional public works programs, and energy technology programs grants, loans, reduced production tax, sales tax, capitol investment tax, for businesses with capitolization below $10 Million Dollars that will produce energy or manufacture capitol equipment utilized in the energy industry.
8) Construction projects to put in more sidewalks, biking paths, along roads where it is dangerous to walk beside traffic in towns or between towns.
9) Make all Student Loan Interest Rates go down to either 4% or 6% to end the predatory rates from financial organizations who get their money for free or nearly free (Fractional Reserve Lending) and who now use profits to Lobby Congress.
10) Break up the TV/Cable Radio Monopoly with Antitrust Law. No media owner/corporation/cabal should have the power to advertise talking points and call it news.
11) Fully Fund Social Security and Demand that Funding be found for all underfunded US Pension Plans within 18 months...possibly with public funds. Some pension plans may have to be shut down or benefits re-stated to be transparent and realistic.