Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Pentagon to buy 1500 Chevy Volts !!!

Posted 11 years ago on Sept. 12, 2012, 7:09 a.m. EST by zerowageslave (2) from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Cuz no one else will.

31 Comments

31 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by podman73 (-652) 11 years ago

the ele. has to come from somewhere......it doenst magically pop out.

[-] 1 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Let's pass a law saying all govt vehicles must be zero emmission then we'll have volts everywhere.

Hows dat?

[-] 1 points by SteveKJR1 (8) 11 years ago

Yah, and you better shut down the power going to you house because there won't be enought electrical power to go around.

Let's generate more electricity to cover the additional load!

[-] 1 points by zerowageslave (2) from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 11 years ago

Math? Facts? Logic? Reason? There's no room for that here! Go away.

[-] 1 points by SteveKJR1 (8) 11 years ago

You haven't a clue as to just how bad the power grid in this country is. Why do you think there are "brownouts" during the hottest time of the summer?

10 years from now if nothing is done about preparing for this this country will shut down and you will be without your electronic pleasures of life - you can take that to the bank - if you can get in with the power off.

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 11 years ago

we had a lot more power failures in the 70s

[-] 1 points by zerowageslave (2) from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 11 years ago

No, really Steve? You don't think I know this.

I think you should be directing this at others here. Believe me, I get it.

"The more the plans fail, the more the planners plan" - Ronald Reagan

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by zerowageslave (2) from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 11 years ago

I'm a tax payer and I don't like your central planning crap that's bankrupting the country.

Think with your head, not your heart.

http://www.usdebtclock.org

[-] 1 points by alva (-442) 11 years ago

gm has shut down production on volts for a month. lack if sales.AND it cost twice as much to produce what it sells for. all in all,...a money losing venture.

[-] 0 points by SteveKJR1 (8) 11 years ago

Am I hearing you right - continue to produce something that makes no profit?

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by SteveKJR1 (8) 11 years ago

I can't fund it I'm not working - guess someone else will have to carry my financial burden.

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by Orwellwuzright (-84) from Lockeford, CA 11 years ago

Why not? Can't everyone use a car with a practical range of 70 miles? All government vehicles should be like that.

[-] 0 points by alva (-442) 11 years ago

a volt costs about $90,000 to build, GM loses about $49,000 on each car. gm is headed toward bankruptcy ,.........again.

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

Chevy Volt costs $80K to build? Not true, says GM

Late last year, the Internet went wild with the "news" that each Chevrolet Volt that was built cost taxpayers $250,000. That figure was completely untrue, of course, but the question of how much GM is paying to make each Volt is as close to a perennial one as we have 'round these parts when it comes to the new generation of plug-in vehicles. The latest figures, which come to us via "auto industry consultants who spoke with Reuters," suggest that, currently, each Volt costs GM around $80,000, or at least somewhere between $76,000 and $88,000.

That 80k breaks down this way: Each Volt currently has $56,000 in fixed costs – $18,650 in development costs and $37,350 in tooling costs – as well as $24,000 in parts and labor, according to the consultants. With each Volt sold, the $56,000 will drop by a little bit, but it's a slow process. Reuters says GM has invested an estimated $1.2 billion into the Volt program so far and when you divide $1.2 billion by the 21,500 Volts sold in the U.S. so far, you get $56,000. This does not take advertising and marketing costs into account, or the number of Volts (and Opel Amperas) sold overseas. In response, GM issued a statement clarifying just how much Reuters is relying on current sales numbers to get to the $80k number, saying, Reuters' estimate is "grossly wrong." The full statement is available below.

What GM isn't saying is how much, exactly, it costs to make a Volt. But Doug Parks, GM's vice president of global product programs, did admit that the Volt is a losing proposition, financially. He told Reuters, "It's true, we're not making money yet. ... [It] eventually will make money. As the volume comes up and we get into the Gen 2 car, we're going to turn (the losses) around."

[-] -1 points by alva (-442) 11 years ago

the volt is an expensive failure so is the buyout of GM and the UAW,

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

The employees of GM and the employees of their parts suppliers would likely disagree with your sentiment. Yes the Volt could be so much more then it is - but at least it is a step in the right direction.

It is a rousing success. We saved a great American manufacturing insustry. a million decent hard working American families families were saved from economic misery.

The volt and all EV is the future. The old 19th century fossil fuel tech must be abandoned and outlawed!

"it's the only way to be sure"

you're dumber than dumb,...................perfect "useful idiot" for ows and obama.

Your offensive personal attacks betray the weakness of your arguments.

If you can't debate in a respectful, civil way with substantial postions you should just admit defeat like an adult.

Please refrain from schoolyard bullying tactics like your candidate Romney.

[-] 0 points by Orwellwuzright (-84) from Lockeford, CA 11 years ago

^^ What he said.

[-] 1 points by shoozTroll (17632) 11 years ago

The Volt is a real world test bed and badly needed at that.

We don't really need more "hemis".

[-] 1 points by notaneoliberal (2269) 11 years ago

Materials cost for the volt is 20,000-32,000. Development cost are not generally amortized over 1 year. http://www.examiner.com/article/bob-lutz-on-the-real-cost-to-make-the-chevy-volt-reuters-article-preposterous

why is the price so expensive

what resources are necessary that are so rare that it cost 90,000 to build?

perhaps 50,000 toilet seats

[-] 1 points by DanielBarton (1345) 11 years ago

its the batteries the technology has not reached a phase where it can be distributed at a reasonable price but the present administration pushed it. The project was destine to fail before it took off the ground

they had cars that got 52 mpg back in the 70s

[-] 0 points by DanielBarton (1345) 11 years ago

and we have cars that get a 1200 mpg now but they are unpractical and too expensive for everyday use

here is the one im talking about http://grist.org/list/four-cars-built-by-teenagers-that-get-over-1000-miles-per-gallon/

also what car are you talking about

[-] 0 points by hchc (3297) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

Rare earth elements are so hard to mine, and so hard to process, thats where most of the costs come from.

Why dont you ask GM? Why dont you ask the UAW?