Posted 8 years ago on Nov. 18, 2011, 1:15 p.m. EST by Rico
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
We speak much of politics, but frankly I see only one real political action for us: Get the Money OUT of Politics and Break the Two Party System ! See my proposal at http://occupywallst.org/forum/we-the-people-in-order-to-a-proposal/ .
OUTSIDE politics, we have incredible power to shape the face of Corporate America via the "votes" we cast with our dollars. We borrow money to buy foreign goods then complain the bankers are rich and we have no jobs. We buy based on "sticker price" alone and chose the product made overseas with slave labor rather than American products just to save a buck or two. All our corporations out-sourced their manufacturing overseas to remain competitive in the mind of the "cost is king" shopper. See my post at http://occupywallst.org/forum/the-power-of-the-people/ .
Christmas is the time of year when most companies make the bulk of their profits, and we can SHAPE American business by our choices. I urge OWS supports to follow the guidelines below AND use their social networks to encourage everyone they know to do the same.
1) Buy American products whenever possible, even if they cost a bit more. Your willingness to pay a little more means you ascribe real VALUE to your beliefs.
2) Buy said American products LOCALLY whenever possible. I know it's less convenient, but we are losing "brick-and-mortar" jobs due to our fondness for on-line shopping. We now have such a large mass of low-skilled labor (we can't ALL be Engineers) that even those lucky few who DO get jobs suffer from depressed wages due to all the competition at the lower end of the job market.
3) Shop at "Mom-And-Pop" stores when you can.
4) Use cash as much as possible. Next, use your ATM or debit card, but get some cash back for the next purchase. Avoid Visa/Master-Card altogether if possible, even if you pay it off every month (you're still pumping a LOT of money through them).
5) Avoid computerized self-check lanes. Yes, they're convenient, but they are also eroding yet another class of jobs people need. Again, your willingness to wait a little so these stores hire more people and buy fewer computers means you ascribe VALUE to your beliefs.
6) If you MUST shop on-line, please use site such as www.americansworking.com , www.made-in.us.com , www.madeinusaforever.com , www.proudamericantradingpost.com , www.stillmadeinusa.com , www.allusaclothing.com , http://www.lehmans.com/store/USA_Made , American shoes at www.shopnewbalance.com/ ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Balance confirms they're American ), etc (note several suggest the hand made products at www.etsy.com ... please choose those made in the USA). You may find these sites useful for simply IDENTIFYING products. You can then go to the manufacturer's web-site and find out what "brick-and-mortar" stores carry them so you can buy locally per item 2 above.
Please post any additional web-sites where people can find more American made products. Wherever possible, please identify what "brick-and-mortar" stores carry them.
Please get the word out ! Put American products on your own "wish lists" and ask everyone you shop for to do the same. Use Twitter, Facebook, etc. to spread the word as far and wide as possible. Please use http://bit.ly/vof9WH to link to the main post so I can keep track of how well we're getting the word out.
Our power to CHOOSE what we buy is the one bit of power the capitalists leave us. They can't take it away without becoming "Socialists" ! We've been playing by THEIR script till now, but we have the POWER to shape the face of American business using our power to CHOOSE what we buy.