Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Is gun control really the problem with 300 million guns in this country

Posted 11 years ago on Dec. 14, 2012, 9:08 p.m. EST by Shayneh (-482)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

That's right - there are approximately 300 million guns in the USA - FBI reports around 200 million are owned by private citizens the rest are owned government and law enforcement.

So, you say we need more "gun control". If that were the case with 200 million guns owned by private citizens, wouldn't there be thousands upon thousands of killings each and every day if gun ownership was creating the problem?

Please explain that if you can - guns aren't the problem - it's society -

14 Comments

14 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by quantumystic (1710) from Memphis, TN 11 years ago

so the availability of guns does not play into the gun violence unfolding nightly on your tv screen. wow you have your head so far stuck up your ass you believe your own shit. guns are the problem. the availability of semi automatic weapons with extended clips and munitions designed to destroy as much flesh as possible has nothing to do with the mass killings we see on a reoccurring basis. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID OR SOMETHING? guns are the problem. specifically the ability to purchase a weapon of enormous power. there is no need for semi automatic weapons. none whatsoever.

[-] 1 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

You want to talk about semi automatic weapons - lets talk about all the violent interactive videos games out there that encourage the user to "destroy with great graphics" people using automatic weapons.

Studies have shown that children, teens and those in their 20's exposed to that kind of violence makes them immune to what they think really can happen in life. It has been proven that continuous exposure to violence only begets violence and promotes ideas on how to do it.

So, don't give me this crap about the mass killings that just happened - how do you think this individual gained his knowledge to do what he did.

He didn't get it from the NRA nor a firearms training course - he got it from continuously watching and interacting with violent games

Here is a rating for "house of the Dead" video - notice what got the best rating and notice what didn't - And you can be sure there are hundredths of interactive violent movies out there that have "great ratings for violence and graphics but less concern about content.

http://reviews.wize.com/wii-games/p514851-house-of-the-dead-overkill-pre-order-13#t=36900

So unless you can prove otherwise don't talk about a subject you know nothing about. It's not the gun stupid it's the "violent user" and his ideas on how to be violent.

[-] 1 points by quantumystic (1710) from Memphis, TN 11 years ago

your argument is pathetic. other countries have large youth populations that play the exact same games and watch the exact same tv shows and movies. your argument is ridiculous. japanese kids are obsessed with playing the same games, canadian kids watch the same tv/movies why are they not going out to kill masses of people. ill tell you why. they don't have an ar-15 they can gain access to by killing someone or just stealing it.

[-] 2 points by outlawtumor (-162) 11 years ago

Excellent post. Hard for even the most ardent gun grabber to argue with your extremely valid point. But then logic and facts never stopped them before.

[-] 2 points by GypsyKing (8708) 11 years ago

So we're supposed to listen to a guy named outlawtumor's advise on this subject?

I don't think so.

[-] 1 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

I have been around guns all my life - when I was growing up and the question was asked - What are guns used for - the answer always was "hunting" be it a rifle, pistol or semi-automatic.

In todays society when you ask that question of the younger generation - not all though - the answer you get is "to kill someone or for protection".

A lot of how the younger generation regard firearms has to do with proper teaching in use, and understanding the responsibility associated with gun ownership. The vast majority haven't been proplerly taught.

I own around 23 firearms of different caliber, and different types. I also do all my own reloading. I don't have fany fear of owning any of them because I learned the proper use of them - be it a revolver, pistol or rifle

I think it should be mandatory for younger kids in middle school to be taught the proper use of a firearm. That would take away the "curosity factor" and it would teach them to respect it instead of looking at it as a toy.

From what I udnerstand the Boy Scouts of America have a program in place just for that purpose.

[-] 2 points by outlawtumor (-162) 11 years ago

Yes you're are right. Guns have been vilified for years now by the media and politicians. Kids grow up without a healthy respect for firearms or any experience at all. They're taught to fear guns and to look down at people how own them as "nuts". This has been a long time in developing along with what seems like a complete lack of respect for the sanctity of life. Life has been cheapened and violence has been glorified. Perhaps the senses of young people are being dulled and numbed to the idea of killing and destroying? Great post,thanks.

[-] 1 points by VQkag2 (16478) 11 years ago

Guns should not be feared?

Gun safety is important. Sounds like that is what you're talkin about. This new tragedy is looking more like the shooter was mentally unstable.

Is there anything we can do to minimize the mentally ill from getting a hold of a family members legal guns?

[-] 1 points by rayolite (461) 11 years ago

People kill people not guns. Your point is well made. Our society is led by our government. The government is secretly infiltrated. Mental health care capable of intervening which is also acceptable to those afflicted, or healing to their condition, ALSO WILL REVEAL SECRETS that the infiltration of government does not want to show.

Is there any wonder why our society has these problems?

Lack of gun safety I think is really the issue. If he was mentally unstable and trained with gun usage (as the news currently claims) then he should not have been in a homewith guns.

His Dr's should have known, the mother (RIP) shares the responsibility for this tragedy if she knew of his mental problems, & had the guns accessible to him.

So the sane people who know of unstable people near guns must be punished with jailtime if they do not act. The lifethey save might be there own.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by LeoYo (5909) 11 years ago

There are people trained to handle hazardous waste material. There are people trained to handle virulent pathogens. Since people can be trained to handle these things, should everyone be allowed to come into possession of such things so long as they have the facilities and training?

Unlike knives, which individuals in China resort to to also kill and harm multiple persons at a time, guns are instruments specifically intended for killing whether for application to humans or to other animals. Like hazardous waste materials, there's no need to own them no matter how many people can be claimed as being responsible for their ownership. After all, if there were an actual defensive need for them, wouldn't we be hearing about the successful use of the 200 million guns owned by private citizens?

The problem is society but gun ownership in no way decreases that problem. There will always be unstable people and there will always be the means of utilizing random objects as instruments of harm to multiple parties. What is going to be beneficial to a society? Having a society in which unnecessary objects specifically intended for killing are accessable to unstable individuals or having a society in which unstable individuals are limited in the killing power of the objects they use to harm others?

[-] 2 points by Shayneh (-482) 11 years ago

Well, if you can figure out a way to stop "violence" it isn't going to happen.

With regard to the 200 million "successful use gun owners" you will never hear about them because they aren't looking for recognition.

So, do we stop drunk drivers from kiling people, or people texting who kill people - what about a person who uses a baseball bat to kill someone - the list goes on and on.

What has to be recognized as you mentioned is there will be those who will kill regardless and those who won't.

How to change that - I would say it starts at home - and I am sure you know that. It all starts with home and family - if that is fragmented then nothing else external to that matters.

But again it still won't solve the problem with those who have mental problems or disorders.

I made a recommendation on another post to give physiological exams to all children when they reach the age that they could hurt somenone - then again at 18 and again at 28.

If they are on perscription drugs then the testing is to be done every year until they are off of them.

So, we have options - the question is how far do we as a society want government to take this when in fact the problem lies within everyone of us.

[-] 0 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

When Columbine happened it was only 100 million, I think I will see a billion one day.