Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: George Orwell 1984

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 15, 2011, 11:32 a.m. EST by NewEnglandPatriot (916) from Dartmouth, MA
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

To all out there.. Any readers of this novel or watchers of this movie see it coming true in a way? It might not be that bad yet; however we are trending in this direction. See how the TV is the control point, how they sanitize the news and destroy the past. Put it into context, the condemning of the "revolution" in this fiction is how the establishment media is bashing OWS and anything that opposes the status quo. If you haven't seen it or read it I suggest you do. If this does not get turned around soon this is where we will be. Everyone is numbered. Everyone has a "record" Your thoughts????

83 Comments

83 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 5 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

You're damned right. It is like 1984. We have the details of the banking criminals, and will force them into jail. Every one of them. Occupy people - get those dossiers out - photo, complete detail the lot! We will get the banksters!!! Count on it!!

[-] 1 points by NewEnglandPatriot (916) from Dartmouth, MA 12 years ago

I am glad Corzine are finally getting investigated. I hope they expose this mess, and the European takeover. The are using loopholes in our laws to back door us with money, then using money to control the power. We must tell them NO. And we must not stop and go back to sleep. This needs to continue until everyone is brought to justice, laws are changed and we are back on track. They will threaten us with many scare tactics. Call their bluffs and hol accountable. Everyone esp. politicians. Once the jig is up maybe we can put them back into submission. Lets rip apart these monoploy giants like GE, etc You and I pay more taxes they paid 0???? With profit ?? Because of green payouts, and developments. Come on GE owns almost every sector, let them borrow to develop and pay their share.. BS If they create jobs, I want to work give me a job????? The government serves the people NEVER FORGET!

[-] 3 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

Exactly. If one crook is nailed, he or she brings down a whole lot of other crooks. These people are all selfish. They will save their own skins and chuck their friends to the wolves. These bank executives are vermin and must be put in prison.

I just saw Corzine on stream a little while ago, he was sweating, stuttering, um, um, This is priceless. He is another fall guy. He was close to getting away with it. Perhaps this movement drawing attention to the financial system raised awareness. I happened to get involved a bit, and started reading more online, listened to Alex Jones (no bashing hear me out, I know he can be out there sometimes) Gerald Celente's money got wiped, NY pension funds had issues, there were a lot of things. The MF global scandal was spread worldwide by Gerald through RT, AJ and others. He got little attention at first. I was linking videos articles, we all helped get the message out. People were making fun of Gerald cause he is wealthy. Well where do we draw the line? People like me were out there reminding those that don't get it - he is upper level 99%, but still one of us. He knows his crap, reports the facts - we need watchdogs to keep the elites in line. Gerald had been pointing the problems out all along. I think this movement opened more eyes into what is going on on Wall St, FED, Euro collapse, etc. I am a firm believer that there is a power behind conscious awareness and this movement is a big factor. We must put the balance back into the force.

[-] 2 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

Great. I hope Gerald manages to finger the guys who got him in this mess. They are the ones we want, and the ones behind them. It sickens me that the banksters defrauded pension funds, nearly wiped out some of them. These shonky securities salesmen and saleswomen should be banged up in jail along with their greedy bosses and the slimey ones taking kickbacks. I can hardly imagine how evil these bastards are. They are more evil than any of us can imagine. Their monstrous crimes - crimes against us, the 99%.

Well we need Glass stegall, as that is what protected the little guy. The deregulation of all sectors, banking, energy, open boarders, food, benefits to everyone but those who really need them - allowed those markets to boom. Then bust. If they left this crap alone we would have had long term steady growth. It would have been slow, no greed no recessions and we would be doing just fine

[-] 0 points by TIOUAISE (2526) 12 years ago

I understand your anger and in fact share it. But I draw the line at calling another human being "vermin" - no matter how criminally they have behaved.

Sociopaths? Yes. Vermin? No.

[-] 1 points by karanjag (1) 12 years ago

I don't think we or anyone needs TV or any mainstream media outlet to control the thought of the masses. I think that excuse is no longer valid with the advent of blogs, youtube and other many other online outlets. The problem becomes how do you filter the information yourself and know what is true and what is false. In other words, one has to educate oneself and has to obligation to get information from alternate sources.

[-] 1 points by infonomics (393) 12 years ago

2 + 2 = 4 but not for the genuflecting corporate sycophants, who always remain flexible for they are not called sycophants for nothing.

[-] 1 points by jomojo (562) 12 years ago

A statement from Memphis authorities reaffirming their policies relating to their citizens' right to lawfully protest, could help prevent another abuse of power. Quotes below are from the epilogue of the book "Protectors of Privilege: Red Squads and Police Repression in Urban America" by Frank Donner (a civil liberties lawyer)

"...Mayor Wyeth Chandler ordered the police to burn all the files of the Domestic Intelligence Unit (DIU, as the local red squad was called) and to abolish the unit altogether."........"In compliance with the mayor's order, 180 boxes of files were reportedly destroyed on September 10, 1976, at the very time the ACLU was in court to obtain a restraining order to preserve the files..."..............."embarrassing documents were unearthed in the basement of a building formerly used by the red squad that had escaped the mayor's destruction order..."...........(result:) "...a restrictive settlement decree used as a model in other litigation and legislative efforts." Source: Google Books http://books.google.com/books?id=FR1ogMhofc0C&pg=PA348&lpg=PA348&dq=memphis++Wyeth+Chandler+destroys+files+kept+on+citizens&source=bl&ots=Ia1MVqF-Uv&sig=dBd_54kwj0uQ_ddhEDIMn0P4qyE&hl=en&ei=kbeNTpzKKsuPsAKzopCgAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

We already have the number it just has not been tattooed ( bar coded ) yet.

We are very close to seeing the establishment of a police state. Then the tattooing may begin.

[-] 0 points by NewEnglandPatriot (916) from Dartmouth, MA 12 years ago

We were "securitized" When social security was created. We were "collateralized" at that time as well. We were required to register for birth and selective service. IRS was created. The plans were set in motion. The number will be a smart ID card, then under guise of ID theft reform/prevention the chipping will be forced or you cannot participate in commerce. Mark my words, mark of beast is coming. And I will have no say, the younger generation and those in fear will demand it. The rest of us will have no choice like the forced healtchare reforms shoved down my throat here in Massachusetts. It is coming...I have had dreams of this crap, there is always an needle between my finger & thumb , and I wake up. . Usually when this sort of thing happens to me it is in near future....Open your minds, analyze your dreams....I know how to force autoimmune response using my thoughts. If I keep thinking about a rash and concentrate I can get one. I can force allergic reaction and I will be exempt. There will be a few ways out. This will be mine....Hone your discipline, mind over matter, focus on love, good, all positive and you can win....

[-] 1 points by Windsofchange (1044) 12 years ago

Here check out this commentary. It pretty much sums up the fact that our Government is looking to get more and more control over our us and over our every day life. No doubt we are living in an Orwellian society.

http://www.wpix.com/videogallery/66806863/News/IT’S-ALL-ABOUT-CONTROL#pl-62886862

Law of averages....More population/overcrowding = more stress & crime. More crime, loss of values, more control required.....It is unfortunate that it is getting worse. The 7-11 near me in a good area got robbed, a couple more banks got hit, pharmacies, etc all this year. Even Comcast in Fairhaven,MA a good area got hit....Not far from me. New Bedford is the center of population in this area, next is Fall River. South/West End New Bedford and most of Fall River has gangs for some time, and has crime is moving to suburbs - where the money is. Times are tough for many, and its getting worse. I think they are going overboard with the streetlight microphones and cameras though... I am glad I live in the outskirts..I will be moving to a less populated area sooner than later. There was a win for us though, the smaller stores that were taking EBT/SNAP food benefits for cig/liquor purchaes got nailed. There was a sting, which I am for - they need to crackdown on this stuff, however the big brother/patriot act will eventually exploit whatever they deem as illegal behavior. Innocent people will be targeted eventually.

I am afraid that when the heat gets turned up even more with this bad economy, we will witness the breakdown of our society. I don't think it takes much for ticked off & desperate people to start rioting and looting. I would love to move to the country away from what would be "the thick of the action".

What we are seeing right now with robberies and murders wouldn't even be the tip of the iceberg when all hell breaks loose (and there is no more law and order). At that time that is when we will see many people arrested under NDAA. Marshall law will be used to try to get some law and order back. Look at what happened months ago in London. I am afraid that that will happen over here.

Yes, at some time there will be innocent people suffering under NDAA. There have been already cases of innocent people searched and arrested under The Patriot Act. I keep saying if you want to know where NDAA will be going, look at what happened in the last 10 years under the Patriot Act.

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

The looting is already happening. Stealing of aluminum siding, copper wire and plumbing. It's ramping -up in Cleveland. The Corporate media even gave it some coverage on 60 minutes. Maybe that is how they are going to push the Cleveland action as something necessary in a neighborhood near you.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/cleveland-say-it-aint-so-tearing-down-vacant-house/

[-] 1 points by TIOUAISE (2526) 12 years ago

"I don't think it takes much for ticked off & desperate people to start rioting and looting."

Sad but true. That's why it's ESSENTIAL at this time to give people HOPE - not the false hope peddled by Emperor Oblabla - but the REAL hope embodied by OWS and the likes of Bernie Sanders, Michael Moore, Chris Hedges, etc.

Agreed. When people don't see the light at the end of the tunnel, they will act out (of fear, anger, and desperation). Yes, they need to be given hope. When I first heard about OWS, it gave me hope. There was such a need for this movement. We needed people to get out there protesting against the over the top corruption and greed going on. I am happy to support his movement.

Ditto!

But they MUST stay on message. That extremely divisive post on Mumia was imo a VERY BAD idea:

http://occupywallst.org/article/mumia-abu-jamal-my-friends-ows/

I know, they are backing the wrong pony there. A lot of people believe this guy was rightfully convicted.I wouldn't mind OWS backing Project Innocence and try to bring awareness to the innocent people who are thrown in jails due to sloppy police work, racism, or whatever else. I would definitely support that, not backing this guy Mumia abu Jamal.

Btw, I use to be for the death penalty, but had a change of heart. I can honestly say with seeing how many people Project Innocence got out of jail because of lack of evidence or DNA is alarming. I am glad that I changed my stand on the death penalty. Nothing more terrible than innocent people being put to death for crimes they never committed.

"I wouldn't mind OWS backing Project Innocence and try to bring awareness to the innocent people who are thrown in jails due to sloppy police work, racism, or whatever else."

Completely agree. And I too find the death penalty abhorrent. Even when the person is not innocent, I feel that the death penalty actually TEACHES VIOLENCE to the whole country. No wonder all other Western nations abolished it a long time ago.

I realized that a good while ago. I came from a household that strongly believed in the death penalty. After doing some deep soul-searching I realized that it is wrong. Even the worst person out there who has committed the most heinous crimes against others--should not be put to death. As a christian, I believe that Jesus if alive today, would speak strongly against the death penalty.

I wish more people did some deep soul searching and see for themselves why the death penalty is all wrong.

Agree.

Because of the innumerable distortions and betrayals of Chritianity, I for one don't consider myself a Christian, but rather a Christic, i.e. one who aspires to walk and dance and sing with Jesus - and I think the death penalty would have been deeply abhorrent to him. To me it is the very antithesis of Christic (="Christ-inspired").

There is a scripture in the bible that states "itching ears hear what they want to hear." I think that this is the problem. You have hate-mongers like the Westboro Baptist Church think that they are God's representatives and spew hatred where ever they go. There are other less severe examples, but anyone could see that WBC are filled with vile hater who have no love in their heart, and most importantly--Don't represent God.

I find Christianity in general is so tainted with neurotic garbage like sexual guilt, that is in many ways an unwholesome religion.

Did you know that in the very first paragraphs of his famous "Rule", Francis of Assisi promoted HATRED OF ONE'S BODY? Theologians are now openly speculating about his "self-hatred" problems.... About time!

The more I love Jesus, the less I like Christianity. But obviously I have nothing against Christians as such - or any others, for that matter. My only quarrel is with a doctrine which I find unhealthy and profoundly alien to Yeshua - the REAL, unadulterated Jesus.

This is part of why they are doing this. They will round up the bad people. The thing is even once the mess is cleaned up they will not lax back. That is the problem I have, they will continue to use it to erode our freedoms further. It is not just the ECO collapse, the big natural disasters are a factor too. They are coming with next solar cycle, entering now cycle 24....

Sadly, that is the truth.

[-] 1 points by aries (463) from Nutley, NJ 12 years ago

great movie. this where we are headed & the OWS loves it !

[-] 1 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

We're screwed. Anyways...

The Revolution has a new theme song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-GOHa5-YQ

http://occupywallst.org/forum/stop-the-evildoers/

The Revolution starts here!

[-] 1 points by usernameah (36) 12 years ago

"Freedom is Slavery." Let us do all the thinking for you. We decide who's a terrorist and who's not. We decide who's a friend and who's not. You are free from having to make the distinctions yourself. If you had to think critically and verbalize your own thoughts, you would be a slave to their grip over you.

"War is Peace." We are CONSTANTLY in a state of war under the guise of maintaining peace. Allies become enemies and enemies morph into allies in a blink of an eye. Each new administration defines a new villain for their term.

"Ignorance is Knowledge." If you're knowledgeable , you're arrogant and an elitist. Being dumb mean you are a good guy. They keep us deliberately ignorant about the social, political and economic news and happenings which have a direct impact on our lives but force feed us ad nauseum with celebrity crap and petty crimes.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by leavethecities (318) 12 years ago

More like Animal Farm 1984 the tv series that never ends, but yeah it is so true

Yes dynamic....I feel this movement has raised awareness. I found out through someone I know, liven in Boston area and knew I would be on board. I thought for a moment. Occupy seems to be missing something......It was the point of occupy and locations - Wall st is where the crime is, the fed, the major city corruption we are simply pointing it out and raising awareness. As this happens scum like Corzine and others will finally be brought in. It is an Information War. People like Alex Jones are extreme but do have a way of raising awareness. This has to go on, possibly indefinitely, until we get the change we deserve. Then we must watch it like a hawk and never take freedom for granted again. Here is the problem, Corzine is another Madoff, etc - the real bad guys will never get caught. You just have to think that they will

[-] 1 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

This (very timely) book should be required reading at the high school level. I wonder if it is? One of the all-time great books. I also enjoyed Animal Farm as well, and it shouldn't be overlooked as we enter into revolutionary thought, and we observe the election season.

Just an fyi, the full movie of both books is on youtube, but I won't link it, you gotta do your own homework :)

There are two versions of the movie, I think I am going to either do a book of my own or comics or something, depicting it in a current context/near future fashion to possibly wake people up. I think the people now a days need pictures. I re-watched it in 08, and it really hit home this time around.

[-] 1 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

Yeah, the "1984" version with John Hurt is very good. I've read the book a few times, as well. I love the idea that he buys a blank book and starts writing from direct experience... What a subversive act... A blank sketchbook is contraband... I happen to have a background in the visual arts, and I agree with you-- we are living in a visual culture, a picture speaks a thousand words-- I can only encourage you in your illustrations :) You might do some research beforehand, there might be a classic comic, or some other existing reference point to begin from.

Be sure to watch Animal Farm on youtube, it's even more timely in the context of this revolution of thought. I watched it last night and felt more determined than ever to reform the system we've already got. Funny, when I was a kid, it was presented as an anti-communist movie, but I think it has potential for gaining a new appeal. Actually... Let's hope not... :)

[-] 1 points by harding (15) 12 years ago

Orwell's 1984 pdf book, movie & mp3

You can use this free video player http://www.vlcmediaplayer.net/

Movie 100 minutes

http://www.multiupload.com/DGUBL4WV92

Pdf book

http://www.multiupload.com/O3TAMNHX4F

Mp3 audio 10.5 hours

http://www.multiupload.com/DGUBL4WV92

Synopsis

Orwell's final novel, 1984, is the story of one man's struggle against the ubiquitous, menacing state power (“Big Brother”) that tries to dictate nearly every aspect of human life. The novel is a classic in anti-utopian fiction, and a trenchant political satire that remains as relevant today as when it was first published. Annotation

Examines different aspects of Orwell's anti-utopian classic, with a biographical sketch of the author and critical essays on this work. Books of the Century; New York Times review, June 1949 - Mark Schorer

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness. 1984, the most contemporary novel of the year and who knows of now many past and to come, is a great examination into and dramatization of Lord Acton's famous apothegm, " power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrups absolutely. " training web page http://tinyurl.com/7rvpv43

[-] 1 points by Coriolanus (272) 12 years ago

I suppose Orwell's telescreen is not much different from the surveillance video cameras that are everywhere these days (it is even worse in England). And as someone else mentioned, the sanitization of the language, akin to Orwell's Newspeak, may influence one's very thought processes And of course there is the need for a docile, unarmed populace.

On the other hand, there are resemblances to Huxley's Brave New World; a population kept docile by drugs and entertainment.

[-] 1 points by hamalmang (722) from Lebanon, PA 12 years ago

We are moving from Brave New World to 1984.

"If there is hope...it lies in the proles"

[-] 1 points by Misfit138 (172) 12 years ago

"News speak" and being PC are limiting our freedoms in that somehow we have gained the right to be free from offense. As such, we are too fixated on pleasing everyone which can only be accomplished through more control. It may seem unlikely, but restricting people from being a-holes or racists or whatever other faults they may have, ends up restricting everyone.

[-] 1 points by hamalmang (722) from Lebanon, PA 12 years ago

I think this is a doubleplusbad way of looking at newspeak. It is not about getting rid of words like nigger or faggot. It was about condensing the vocabulary to take the meaning out of words so everybody had a simple mind and therefore had no way of thinking outside the way the government wanted them to. While I may not agree with the whole PC thing in total I think of it mostly as a way to take power out of words that are only there to hurt others. It doesn't really limit your vocabulary but actually encourages you to use more words instead of generic insults at people.

[-] 1 points by Danaan (96) 12 years ago

lol yeah well put, Victory Gin to that. "The book" explains that the purpose of the unwinnable, perpetual war is to consume human labour and commodities, hence the economy of a super-state cannot support economic equality (a high standard of life) for every citizen, quoting wiki. so true, we are the 84.

doubleplusbadd or ungood! This is great......The media is always repeating like "the tele" wars going on, economic stats, etc the markets it is eerie. everyone on edge, looking over their shoulders (not all yet as the grid is not on fully) PC is a form of newspeak, this is so parody its like the architects used that as a manual. Was orwell predicting the future, or the other way around. Did he give them the ideas.....All we are missing is the id numbers and they are corrupting the kids to be rats...

[-] 1 points by Danaan (96) 12 years ago

permalink lol even that sounds like orwelian. doubleplus. Have you seen the series the prisoner? The last episode in particular is great as it reveals the way to escape. http://tv.blinkx.com/show/the-prisoner/CO-AVcnTptnER2c_

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

it was already happen to some degree when orwel wrote it

Now the technology, and ignorance of freedom - allowed it to get to where it is...

[-] 0 points by Doc4the99 (591) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

"Yes, and civilization is sterilization." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 7

Sterilization is here, food additives, feminization of males, the gay culture (mind control population reduction) fluoride (decreases fertility) assault on all. It is here.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 2

Put this with 1984 and Animal Farm, we have the total account for our future reality, alter a few bells and whistles... Creator creates creation. We express creation as we are creators. Expression is an interpretation of reality. They knew it was coming.

Well back to celebrity gossip and more kim kardashian... opiates for the masses in the the form of fame roulette ; nothing to see here, no billionaries asking for another bailout... just pay attention to more cheap goods at wal mart made in china by former us companies like hoover...

Use your credit card, no bubble economy here, your 401credit k is safe in stocks...

Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

Plus one :-)

I haven't read it yet, only excerpts. I gotta get this book. I browsed it some time back, but never bought it. It is added to my list.

[-] 0 points by richardkentgates (3269) 12 years ago

the only ones refuting the protests are people that think they are above society and those that believe what they have been told by people that think they are above society. the Occupy amendment, The NEED act. a new book "the protester" politicians using Occupy and the 99% as a talking point, The Ed show. the list goes on and on. it is quite mainstream. really tired of the doomsday bit.

[-] 1 points by dickheadgates (21) 12 years ago

Pretty funny you talkin about using occupy when your the one using occupy.

[-] 1 points by richardkentgates (3269) 12 years ago

"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation "DNFTT" redirect here. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?". The "trollface", or "coolface", is sometimes used to indicate trolling.[1] In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".