Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 300+ million people in America. 1,000 people show up to protest. WOW,,,, you must be proud

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 12, 2011, 8:46 p.m. EST by DunkiDonut2 (-108)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

You people are funny to watch. Kind of like watching lab mice. It is intertaining to watch.

100 Comments

100 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 20 points by beautifulworld (23771) 12 years ago

OWS is all over the news. It has changed the course of the discussion in this country. It has shed a bright light on the disparity of income distribution in this country. And, you don't like it. That's why you're here trying to degrade it. Pretty silly on your part.

[-] 7 points by blazefire (947) 12 years ago

Don't feed the trolls!

http://occupywallst.org/forum/how-to-defeat-trolls-and-the-establishment-in-this/#comment-492153

p.s. just stuck it here, so it would be near your voted up post....great reply btw! I voted! And btw donut, this movement is global.

[-] 3 points by beautifulworld (23771) 12 years ago

Yes. It is important to point out that a post like this is from a troll. Will these people ever go away? Thanks, blazefire.

[Removed]

[Deleted]

[-] -3 points by simplesimon (121) 12 years ago

Oh, the thief has joined the conversation....watch your wallets!

[-] 2 points by JPB950 (2254) 12 years ago

This could very well turn out to be like that million man march a few years ago. Nice to draw out that many people, but they made no effort to do anything politically. Now I'm not sure who even sponsored it. Occupy could go the same way if they don't make an effort to get directly involved in the political process.

[-] 2 points by KVNLGN (154) 12 years ago

I'm completely behind this movement but it is far from all over the news, that's the problem. I couldn't believe that the major networks didn't pick up the port shutdowns yesterday. That should create a lack of trust, if America starts to wake up.

[-] 1 points by slammersworldisback (-217) 12 years ago

Charlie Sheen was all over the news too, and equally sad and entertaining...

[-] -2 points by fandango (241) 12 years ago

ows people are the "useful idiots".

[+] -4 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

All over the news? You are joking? If it was important they would be breaking in with live updates. I cant remember the last time I saw an OWS news story on nightly news.

[-] 3 points by Fitifong (39) from Kingsville, ON 12 years ago

It's not on the news, because the mainstream media is hiding it. Look at a news report on something that has to do with OWS, for example the LA raid. They'll talk about how there was 13 tonnes of 'garbage' removed from the park. Now go on Youtube, and look at what you see. Free medical tents and laptops being smashed on purpose by the police.

[-] 1 points by JenLynn (692) 12 years ago

No one is hiding anything, it's not in the news because it seems to be the same thing every day. Protest, complain, demand change, but do very little to make change happen.

[-] 1 points by Fitifong (39) from Kingsville, ON 12 years ago

They're not hiding anything? Oh please, do some research.

They make the local papers when they demonstrate. They don't seem to have much national impact though. Occupy seems to have become content just to demonstrate. They are sort of a lapel ribbon for awareness of... what? They don't seem to have a clear agenda. Today it's the 1%, yesterday it was foreclosures, government corruption, or student loan forgiveness.

Maybe it's their lack of any kind of leadership, no one seems to want to or be able to coordinate the people involved and make this a political force.

'We are 99%' is just a slogan. It's not about rich vs. everyone else. It's HOW they get rich, and that's the only thing related to their slogan.

As for a 'clear agenda': https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/

National Impact: http://occupygermany.org/ http://occupyfrance.org/ http://occupytokyo.org/en/ http://www.occupyto.org/

Mainstream media is avoiding the issue, I don't need to repeat myself; but do these look like "local papers" to you?: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/nyregion/occupy-wall-street-members-report-to-court-for-brooklyn-bridge-rally.html http://news.yahoo.com/hackers-threaten-fox-news-over-occupy-wall-street-192802195.html

Before you embarrass yourself again, DO SOME RESEARCH.

You say OWS is not making the news, then to prove your point you show me links that it is given coverage? Who's fault is it that the coverage is negative? The first few weeks of coverage you did get were good, the reports I saw had a hopeful tone to them. There hasn't been much since then. There have been new demonstrations, but no real focused message. The agenda changes, there are no leaders for media to talk to, no one to give a clear unified message. It looks more like dozens of separate demonstrations for local media and not a national movement with a message that would interest national media.

The 99% declaration at present contains "suggested content of the petition for a redress of grievances", a wish list that may or may not be agreed upon by a group that will somehow be chosen in March of 2012. The section, Election of Delegates, is not very detailed, to say the least. This could turn into an election that would embarrass even the worst third world dictator, with delegates just showing up claiming to have been elected somehow. Maybe the lack of media attention is a good thing.

If you look back, I wasn't the one who brought up the point. And no, it's not being brought up that often. There are always demonstrations. 3 days ago, ports all over the west coast were shut down. There is not clear message because the movement is leaderless, so obviously there's no one to direct them, but there are some basic plans.

The declaration isn't complete. The only reason why I directed you there was because you said they don't have an agenda, which there was one. I can't defend the fact that the movement is leaderless, because that's a very debatable subject. I honestly think that the movement is better off as a leaderless one.

Occupy has just started to depress me, I see it as wasting an opportunity to make real change. The demonstrations were a necessary step, like they were for civil rights, but no one is attempting any political followup. Every member of the house is up for reelection, occupy could run people in primaries in districts across the country and make news. They might even show enough strength to win some seats and sway the next congress.

As it is, the movement seems to be weakening. There were terminals shut down on the west coast, true, but the attempt to shut down the entire west coast failed, according the the article I read, because of low turn out. Occupy had its chance to become a political force, I think it's too bad its failing.

By the end of the summer there may be a list of grievances ready to be handed to politicians from that wish list. By then I wonder how many people will still be active. The 99% declaration web site doesn't seem to have much information about the voting process or how delegates will be selected. I can sign up to be a delegate, but there isn't any information on exactly how we get picked. It just feel so disorganized and amateurish.

I know what you mean. What I was saying before was that the media is silencing the occupy movement, making it either less popular or look bad, this is why there isn't as much action. The recent raids on the camps didn't help much either.

[-] -2 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

Your example: 'garbage' removed? I was a work from 8:00 to 5:00. When out for lunch. Drove from home to office. Office out to lunch. Home again. In about 40 miles of driving I never once saw a person protesting, carrying an OWS sign, TV crews, marching, etc and etc. If this movement was very big at all,,, you would think someone would see. Your little movement isnt on TV news because NOBODY CARES.

[-] 2 points by Fitifong (39) from Kingsville, ON 12 years ago

Well obviously there isn't 15 million people protesting that. Way to point that out. You might live in an area in the city or in a city where the protests aren't at. Besides, why the hell are you on this site if you despise it so much. You're nothing but a hypocritical troll, and nothing else. I respect other people's opinions, but dissing a movement saying that it isn't big is an invalid argument.

[-] -3 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

Here is where YOU are wrong. Your movement is NOT as respectful as you want me to be. Your movement wants to get in my path, in my way, in my face. You want to stock traffic, stop commerce in a port. If you dont like business, then I would ask why your in the business district of New York? See, your statement can be turned around and asked right back. Stay away from thos of us that like America the way it is and us "trolls" would be happy to stay away from you. Seem fair,,,, you MUST agree?

[-] 2 points by Fitifong (39) from Kingsville, ON 12 years ago

Before I throw a rebuttal, what did you mean by the district of New York? Like, where the protests originated?

[-] 0 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

Wall Street,,, business district. It appears like you want to cause problems and diss in public but you seem surprised if someone want to diss right back at you. You people chant and yell and cause problems but if someone comes on here and makes comments,,,,, WELL,,,, WE CANT HAVE THAT!!!

[-] 3 points by ropeknot (359) 12 years ago

That's the Rupert Murdock news you're experiencing ; freedom of the press as long as his opinions are all you are allowed to hear !

FOX NEWS.... against MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NPR, PBS, AP, Washington Post, NYTimes, Chicago Trib, LATimes, etc and etc. One little news show kicks all the liberal ASS. YES!!!!!

[-] 8 points by squarerootofzero (81) 12 years ago

1,000 more people who refuse to live their lives based in fear. Then 1,000 more. Then 1,000 more. OWS is a HUGE success because people like you are talking about it - and quite afraid of it - which must be a sign that is working.

[-] 1 points by cmt (1195) from Tolland, CT 12 years ago

The American revolution was done by a small percentage of radicals. It's probably good that we didn't have polls then.

[-] 1 points by KirkVanHouten (123) 12 years ago

People also talked about and feared the H1N1 virus.

[+] -6 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

I count about 20 different people on this site posting. I just kind of keep a note on who keep posting,,, you can too. So, if OWS is such a HUGE success you would think this site would impossible to log on to. It really is funny reading the posts. Watching the 100 or less people in tents claiming the WORLD IS WATCHING. Good grief. Some tents, some chanting protests,, a few signs.. OOOOoooooooo!

[-] 7 points by GypsyKing (8708) 12 years ago

In one place, at one time, with little planning, or forewarning, while other actions are taking place simultaineously in hundreds of other places? Not too bad if you ask me, for a movement that didn't exist 4 months ago. Sorry to disillusion your negativity.

[+] -5 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

You just described a street intersection, with our without a traffic light. No big deal.

[-] 7 points by Mowat (164) 12 years ago

Just one thousand! At least 1000 places were scenes of protests if you want to follow the real news. And the millions are in it with their hearts. Very many want to protest but are wary of their employers who would fire them if they do. You benefit by demoralizing the 99% because you maybe one of those awful 1%.

Here is where you show your lack of smarts. I'm not a 1% and dont believe in the 99%. If your math is 1% and 99% and millions of people that dont believe in this silly movement,,,, explain how you come up with only 100%

[-] 7 points by TLydon007 (1278) 12 years ago

Apparently, police and politicians strongly disagree with you..

As are the cronies they hired to post discouraging things on the forum.

[Deleted]

[-] 2 points by TLydon007 (1278) 12 years ago

I never said anybody would pay you.

[-] 7 points by FawkesNews (1290) 12 years ago

All of India and "One" Gandhi. You are an idiot.

Even on this website there are the same posters day after day. I would bet there are only 50 at most different people that visit this site.

[-] 3 points by FawkesNews (1290) 12 years ago

Maybe, but it takes only one,to eradicate you of your wealth at your home. How long before the local police are in control? Long enough for you to save your children?

This country has made it through two world wars. A civil war. Three president assasinations, three major economic downturns, 9/11. Dozens and dozens of other events over its 200+ years. This movement is childs play.

[-] 3 points by FawkesNews (1290) 12 years ago

How long have you made it through without your children being blamed for you? What are they willing to give up?

[-] -2 points by MVSN (768) from Stockton, CA 12 years ago

You may be right.

I been watching and keeping track. About 50 different people post on here, night after night, after night, after night. Same people.

[-] 5 points by dickheadgates (21) 12 years ago

People like you, ya mean.

I have my computer next to me. Watching MNF. Didnt see one OWS sign in the HUGE crowd.

[-] 7 points by freedomanddemocracy (72) 12 years ago

1,000 in 1000 towns and cities!, multiplied by hundreds of thousands and millions around the world. The movement is growing by the thousands and tens of thousands everyday. The movement is predicted to grow by the millions this Spring, thousands, upon hundreds of thousands, upon millions. Yeah pretty good for a movement that started in one little park in a city!

[-] 2 points by MVSN (768) from Stockton, CA 12 years ago

Um...while I agree with some of the goals of OWS I don't think it is growing quite as much as you state.

[+] -4 points by Censored (138) 12 years ago

That's pure delusion.

Sure doesnt look like it. The amount of news coverage is nearly zero on the nightly news. The videos of the port shut down and of the parks shows a few hundred people. You must be dreaming.

[-] 2 points by Marquee (192) 12 years ago

That's called "Media Focus" bro. In this case, self-education is the only real way to learn the truth about us. We are millions strong, and growing by the day.

Millions daily????? LOL. In 300 days you have the entire 300 million population of the US. Your into it 3 months,,, and I dont think your are going to make your quota. LOL

[-] 1 points by Marquee (192) 12 years ago

You attempt to put words in my mouth, DunikDonut2. I didn't say or impy that the movement was growing by millions daily.

[-] 5 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

I am proud of this. The family put this link on the FB page because they were so touched.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/enterprise-rent-a-car-murders-children/

The Revolution starts here!

[-] 2 points by SmithGoesWashington (72) 12 years ago

Please read this piece of news: http://occupywallst.org/forum/open-letter-americas-port-truck-drivers-occupy-por/

You cannot hold yourself together, not to raise your fist, and shout, "Long Live Occupy Movement!"

[-] 2 points by riethc (1149) 12 years ago

Are you dissing the USA or the protestors?

I'm dissing the protestors. This is a liberal lead protest. Protest against rich republicans. They LOVE rich democrats. This is really about raising taxes to support a failed liberal agenda. This liberal agenda is responsible for making poor people poorer while allowing rich democrats to get richer. The rich democrat in congress claims to love the poor person while the rich democrat lives in gated mansions. The poor person votes for the rich democrat thinking the rich democrat loves the poor person. Once the poor understand that the rich democrat only wants to be re-elected so the rich democrat can get richer then the poor person may find a way to to dig out of being poor. If you love rich democrats then you are for allowing the poor to get poorer. If you vote for rich democrats then you are voting to make poor people poorer. The rich democrats need poor people. If there were no poor people there would be no rich democrats. This OWS is too stupid to understand this concept.

[-] 0 points by riethc (1149) 12 years ago

The whole left/right paradigm is made possible by this kind of oversimplifying you are demonstrating.

Sure, oversimplifying if it is in reference to rich democrats. That is how your side plays it. Fine, if you like the poor getting poorer while John Kerry and Nance Pulosi make several more millions each year, then you have a ball thinking that way. You get what you vote for and that is not oversimplifying.

[-] 4 points by riethc (1149) 12 years ago

I am not a John Kerry nor Nancy Pelosi supporter. I despise both of them.

What I do recognize is that there are good democrats, as well as good republicans. It's not a sport of Red versus Blue. If you think that way, then I would say you are oversimplifying.

[-] -1 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

It appears like you dont follow national polling on political issues. This is a Red vs Blue society. Ows is democrat. OWS started the within days of the failed attempt to pass the debt increase vote. The movement was created to take the heat off of obama. DAYS AFTER THE FAILED VOTE.

[-] 0 points by riethc (1149) 12 years ago

Most OWSers do not support Obama and the ones that do, do so as a minority. Granted, Obama wants to turn this into a pro-Obama movement, and he has his allies in the mainstream media that support that idea.

But anyway, welcome to the internet, where people learn about the world through sharing information, researching, and dialoguing with others.

[-] 1 points by poltergist22 (159) 12 years ago

Its only three months old and there's a looming election a lot of news coverage some people believe this is a good idea...personally I think they should become more mainstream something like www.nationalday911 should be included in their list of demands

I would suggest, "Grow up and get a job Day."

[-] 1 points by poltergist22 (159) 12 years ago

I understand what your saying but that nationalday would be for everyone not just OWS there does have to be changes in the system when you look at the big picture of class struggle it could really go bad. having some empathy for folks who have lost their jobs/homes is an American trait i would like to think.

[-] 1 points by beautifulworld (23771) 12 years ago

"Time" magazine just announced it's Person of the Year: The Protester

During the second half of 2009 the magazine saw a 34.9% decline in news stand sales. During the first half of 2010, there was another decline of at least one third in Time magazine sales. In the second half of 2010, Time magazine newsstand sales declined by about 12% to just over 79 thousand copies per week. CONGRATULATIONS on being picked by a looser.

[-] 1 points by beautifulworld (23771) 12 years ago

Perhaps it is because Americans don't have the disposable income to buy magazines.

Reading the posts on here and the claims of millions and millions of people joining the OWS,,, you would think they would have sales in the Millions and millions.

[-] 0 points by freedomanddemocracy (72) 12 years ago

1,000 people x 1,000 towns and cities= one million! When the Spring Marches begin in March, April and May this million will multiply into millions. Hundreds of thousands that will march to all fifty state capitols and demand an end to greed and corruption at local and state levels. These hundreds of thousands will multiply into millions who will march to Washington to protest and demand change from our greedy and corrupt Congressmen, and protest and demand an end to greed and corruption in Wall Street, the Big Banks and Corporations. Millions upon millions are already and have already marched on dozens of countries around the world, and greedy and corrupt goverments have been brought down all over the World! This movement is just getting started, the greed and corruption in the halls of Congress in Washington is coming to an end, the greed and corruption in Wall Street is coming to an end, the greed and corruption in the Big Banks is coming to an end, and the greed and corruption of Corporations is coming to an end! The 2012 elections is bring changes in Washington, and the financial institutions that now control the country and Washington! Either you're with us, if you are not with us, then you are against us. Change is in the Air, denials or making fun of it is your right, but the will of millions of Americans yearning for change will take place in November 2012!

Kind of like the 75,000 that attended the million man march? Is this the limit of your inteligence,,,, marching?

[-] 0 points by sato (148) 12 years ago

Sadly, you are right. Not enough people understand what this movement means. You should learn more about what's going on and go out there yourself.

[Deleted]

[-] 1 points by Misfit138 (172) 12 years ago

SEN Sanders has not said that OWS was the motivation for this proposed (and doomed to fail) amendment. He has been outspoken against Citizens United since before OWS was a stain in the park.

[-] 0 points by Censored (138) 12 years ago

It's even funnier if you get an image of the protesters, then try to imagine them as somehow "delegates" of the 99% they claim to represent. Yeah, it doesn't work.

Now try to imagine them representing the 10% that's wanted socialism all along, the 5% that really really likes pot, and the 10% of 20-somethings that are just desperate for a sense of belonging. Much better fit.

[-] 1 points by AFarewellToKings (1486) 12 years ago

Be sure to come to Philadelphia and meet your 876 delegates July 4th.

[-] 1 points by Censored (138) 12 years ago

Will they smell and have bongos like the protesters in London? Can they at least not shit in the park this time?

[-] 1 points by DunkiDonut2 (-108) 12 years ago

Their math is terrible. Their 99%, the 1% and the Trolls. That math means it is greater than 100%. I spent the weekend shopping for Christmas. Not once did I even think about those dirty hippies. Bumper to bumper traffic of shoppers and not one of them thinking about OWS. Makes you wonder.

[-] 0 points by Censored (138) 12 years ago

I visited the two locations in London back in November. It was pretty much two 20-something vagrant camps, and not that big besides. One guy's tent had writing on it from some environmental camping protest from 2010. Too funny.

At Finsbury Square they had signs up. One was against cuts in government programs. Another was based on Kennedy's "ask not" speech. I asked one of them to reconcile the signs. He didn't get it. LOL.

[-] 0 points by TheMaster (63) 12 years ago

Fuzzy math: 1,000/300,000,000 = 99%

Rofl!

[-] -1 points by danmi (66) 12 years ago

Last protest their was 10,000 goons and now only 1,000 so you know what that means don't ya, Obama's little sheeps??? That means their will be no next protest there because the OWS will be history by then

[-] -1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

which city?

Exactly how does 1,000 people travel to a protest when they are all complaining that they are poor, dont have a job and dont own cars? How is this possible. Unless somebody is lying.

[-] -2 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

"You people are funny to watch. Kind of like watching lab mice. It is intertaining to watch."

This is the real reason why we fight. This sort of comment. Believe me, it comes from the greedy banksters. This is what they think of us, the 99%. They think we are like mice, like vermin. That is why they have no hesitation in destroying us for personal greed. A banking executive would close dwon a factory with 1200 workers, just so she or he could make another $1000 in their bonus. Why? Because they think we are worthless creatures. The only people they care about is their fellow bank executives. They make me sick.

I have no idea how smart you are. I do know that when I purchased cars or houses, I had a choice. I paid from saving, or got a loan. I sat down and looked at the terms of the loan. Is the loan reasonable? Do I make enough to pay the loan back? Am I adult enough to enter into a grown-up world contract? Then I look at 200+ years of people buying homes (cars). I look down the street at house after house after house for miles. I see homes that were recently purchased and others that were paid for years ago. Those people took out a loan from a bank, paid it on time and later owned the house or the car. Then after reading the contract, I sign it with an adult promise to pay it back. MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people have done this over the 200+ years. Only YOU have a problem. Interesting. You not an adult?

[-] 1 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

Of course you can afford houses and cars as a bank executive. You get a loan, paying no interest. You can then pay it out of your hefty multi-million dollar annual Christmas bonus, which you thieved from the stockholders, pension funds and innocent depositors. If banks loan money, then fine. That is one of the services they provide. Of course, they rip off their customers. They get the money from governments at about half a percent to fund the loan. What about the way you grreedy criminals short sell decent businesses? Ruin people. The power and enjoyment of seeing destroyed families and people commiting suicide. You heartless bankster monters.

I guess you didnt read my post. EVERYONE THAT OWNS A HOME for over 200 years has used a bank for the loan. Your recent post indicates that EVERYONE in America is a banker.

[-] 1 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

No. The only bankers are those that put up the capital for the bank. Most bankers are now dead. Banksters are a name for ruthless bank executives, who are bank employees, not actual bankers.

THey can put little probes in your brain and track what your thinking,,, which will take little data.

[-] -3 points by thefutureisnow (223) from Newark, NJ 12 years ago

I must concur with your observation , Where are the rest of the people who are supposed to be down with this movement are they taking a cab across town or something why don,t they just take the subway like everyone else maybe some of the are actually the 1% , ,

They are saying they are shutting down the ports in California. How would a homeless or jobless person pay a cab to travel across LA or San Fran? Something is not right. Too much money coming from somebody to support this. And then,, OWS patted themselves on the back about feeding all the poor people Thanksgiving. WHAT???? Where in the world would OWS people come up with the money to prepare all that food? This is a fake movement funded from the basement of the White House to take the heat off of Obama's failed crap.

[-] 0 points by thefutureisnow (223) from Newark, NJ 12 years ago

Wow that is something i have never thought about its like i knew there was something rotten on Denmark , But not sure what is really is you know you may be on to something very serious and possibly credible , I am not quite sure about the white house but definitely somewhere , It would be great if we could actually track it to the source , Because i have personally seen many instances that are basically what you just mentioned , But also because this movement is so huge and epic there are many people who are just using the occupiers who are at the sites for human decorations when the public comes to visit the site and then they all sit down and talk about a new $40.000 dollar grant or something juicy like that ,

The communication infrastructure is at the level of a major political campaign level. The DNC and the White House have the way to get the message out. People dont just show up at these events without a trained leadership. How do jobless, homeless protestors get arrested and then out of bail within hours? Who is feeding these people? Where do toilets come from. I have run several events and porta toilets are not cheap. Some of the signs they hold up are professionally made. And,,, how magical that this movement started two days after Obama didnt get his debt increase signed. This is all about taking the heat off of Obama.

[-] 0 points by thefutureisnow (223) from Newark, NJ 12 years ago

i am not quite sure i agree about ows , but i certainly agree that Obama,s debt plan was for sure a factor in what,s happening because that debt plan could have been the total end of our US economy having any bearing on a international basis to other nations across the globe , But what about the private contributors who have played into the movement and what would you say their angle would be , And also what do you think would happen if someone or some group actually got together to legislation and submitted it tomorrow ,