Posted 10 years ago on Feb. 4, 2012, 5:18 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
As daylight broke this morning around 5:40am, helmeted and armed mobs of U.S. Park Police – some wearing unnecessary hazmat suits, backed up by dump trucks and riot police on horeseback – moved to forcibly dismantle tents and other infrastructure at McPherson Square in Washington DC, where Occupy DC on K Street has called home and provided for the needs of one another and the public since October 1st. All in DC are encouraged to go to McPherson to show support. Outside DC, if you don't like what the National Park Service is doing, call and let them know at 202.485.9880!
- 7:30: As cold rain sets in, now-homeless protesters vow to hold General Assembly tomorrow and regroup in spite of having had their homes destroyed by police. Reports of tasering and others beaten by batons throughout the day. Solidarity demos have begun in other cities, including Oakland. Via @Sara Jeans:
"This will not kill #occupydc. We may not be there tonight but we are planning & will come back stronger"
- 7:00: via @Re_Occupy: "Park Police took tents and sleeping bags on a cold, rainy night. Local hospital has volunteered to take in 20 people."
- 5:00: Police still cordoning off the park with metal barricades, inspecting each one-by-one, seizing Occupier's personal belongings and putting them in trash bags.
- 4:20: Standoff growing in NW part of McPherson, where large crowd has grown. Riot police and SWAT teams sporting assault rifles and rubber-bullet guns. Using forklifts, police have torn down tents, even those that complied with their baseless "no sleeping" rules. Total arrests up to 8. Occupiers are being kept behind barricades, force to watch as their homes are ripped apart and demolished. As tweeted by OccupyKSt:
Many of our occupiers now homeless in freezing rain. You say park isn't our home? Its the only one many of us have.
- 4:00: Police have started dismantling again. Legal observers report being assaulted by police.
- 3:00: Large crowd has gathered. Police appear to be waiting for people to leave before dismantling remainder of camp.
- 2:00: Crowds have gathered around the library to defend it from police destruction. Police say they are searching tents individually for "camping gear" and not allowing any observers while doing "initial sweep.
- 1:00: 8 hours into the eviction, police continue to mull through and dismantle Occupier's tents, ripping apart the homes of ODC campers. Total of arrests now at 6, one person reportedly tazered and others hit with batons.
- 12:30: Another arrest has happened after someone attempted to jump the barrier and was attacked by park police. Cops on horseback returned, others have gotten out their shields and assumed riot positioning. According to twitter reports, majority of Park Police either not wearing or obscuring their badge numbers. Have also threatened to use tasers.
- 12:00: Police have surrounded the park with netting, ripped out the "occutree", torn down the Tent of Dreams, and is wholesale throwing tents, tarps, etc in the trash.
- 11:00am: At least four arrests have been reported. All have been since released. Although police claiming they are only enforcing "camping ban", they appear to be wantonly destroying non-camping supplies as seen on livestream.