Posted 6 years ago on May 18, 2012, 8:32 a.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
More photos below
Full schedule of #NoNATO actions
Occupy Chicago NATO/G8 Guide
NATOprotest.org | ChicagoSpring.org | OccupyChi.org | http://cang8.wordpress.com
@NationalNurses @OccupyChicago @NATOINDYMEDIA
#TaxWallStreet #RobinHoodTax #NoNATO #OCHI
Bail Fund for Arrested Protesters - PLEASE DONATE!
National Lawyers Guild Chicago number 1-312-913-0039
Live Updates (Eastern time)
- 5:30pm: Nonviolent direct action training starting near Michigan Ave & Van Buren. Assembly tonight at 7 Central. TOMORROW: Healthcare Not Warfare! To Rahm's House! At 10am, gather @ Irving Park Brown Line; At 12p, converge on Horner Park!
- 5:15pm: via @OccupyChicago: It's really hot out here. We have been mobile all day. Fruit/veggies/water would be appreciated at Congress & Michigan.
5:06pm: Police gathering at Michigan & Jackson in Grant Park. Multiple helicopters overhead; riot police, horses, police buses all still around all over streets.
5pm: via @OccupyChicago: Police with billy clubs drawn and protestors clashing as police try to block the public sidewalk as we walk toward the horse [Congress & Michigan]. Dinner at 6. GA at 7. [central times]
- 4:45pm: Occupiers still surrounding Fed Reserve; riot police in helmets moving in.
- 4:30pm: Sit in in front of Board Of Traders and Federal Reserve Building. About 200 climate justice and @OccupyChicago activists in civil disobedience at Jackson and Lasalle. Head there!
- 4:05pm: via Twitter: One part of march headed to Jackson & LaSalle, other on Michigan under bridge by 520 N Michigan. 1 arrest on Michigan Ave bridge before march broke through.
- 4pm: NATO sign at Michigan and Wacker torn down! (photos below) Person who tore it down was arrested by police and then un-arrested by protesters.
- 3:50pm: Cops block front of march, surround protesters and push marchers around. Some people (around 50) stuck on bridge; police not letting other protesters through. Police on livestream being very aggressive -- shoving, insulting protesters. Another arrest reported.
- 3:40pm: Police appear to be struggling to keep up with march. Tried unsuccessfully to kettle protesters. March is zig-zagging through streets. Estimated numbers over 1000, over entire city block long.
- 3:30pm: March now at Columbus and Randolph.
- 3:20pm: Unpermitted march (not affiliated with NNU rally) at Monroe & Michigan heading to the bridge at Millennium Park. Helicopter overhead; police on armored horses and bicycles trying to force march onto sidewalk. Marchers chant ¨NATO war machine - Shut it down! The whole damn system - Shut it down!¨
- 2:57pm: The march has taken the street. 3 reported arrests.
- 2:55pm: via Twitter: Impromptu march leaving plaza heading south on Clark.
- 2:50pm: Arrests happening at SW corner of Daley Plaza. Rally is ending, band just finished leading crowd in song. People on stage telling crowd to head to buses. Police dispersal order in 10 minutes.
- 2:35pm: Chicago Police are distributing memos saying the rally must clear our by 2pm Central (3pm Eastern) and warning protesters not to block traffic or businesses and to stay on sidewalks when marching.
- 2pm: Tom Morello with Tim from Rise Against performing at front stage now singing union solidarity songs to excited crowd of 1000s. Corporate media pedicatbly ignoring or downplaying the rally.
- 1pm: Nurses and allies still gathering in Daley Plaza, sharing food and listening to music. NNU official rally getting underway in a few moments. Heavy police presence, but situation is calm and festive. Everyone in Chicago should join them! Right now: The ¨G8¨ toasts to austerity in performance. Soon: Labor leaders and other speakers to address crowd.
- 12:30pm: Today's rally calls for a Robin Hood Tax (a tax of 0.5 percent on financial institutions’ transactions to pay for health care, education, etc) and is led by National Nurses United. Right now, thousands of nurses are gathering at Daley Plaza; march underway now on livestream! Headed down LaSalle.
Nurses rallying at Daley Plaza
Daley Plaza from the stage
Unpermitted autonomous march after the rally
March taking the street
Protesters tore down part of the NATO banner
Part of autonomous march blocks the Michigan Ave Bridge
Sit in in front of Board Of Traders and Federal Reserve Building