Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: you have 150,000 to give away. who/what would you give it to?

Posted 12 years ago on Feb. 26, 2012, 8:11 p.m. EST by onepercentguy (294)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

i plan on giving away that amount in the next two months or so. what would you suggest in terms of your beliefs, causes, etc.

update 3/6/12: i gave away 75k to my uni's foundation this week, for three endowed scholarships. scholarships that i received when i was there. other 75k up for grabs.

49 Comments

49 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by Skippy2 (485) 12 years ago

I would give it to my wife, cuse I've been mairried 25yrs and thats what I do.

[-] 0 points by Perspective (-243) 12 years ago

Lol I've been married 30 and I understand.

[-] 1 points by ithink (761) from York, PA 12 years ago

Use it to fund a new venture/ idea.

[-] 1 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

I'd start a radical book store in a rust belt city where none previously existed. If I could not find such a place I'd start a homeless shelter specifically dedicated to the stated grievances of OWS. If there was any money left over I'd start a micro-loan foundation that would contribute money to projects focused on the stated grievances of OWS.

[-] 1 points by 2percent (0) 12 years ago

Buy $150,000 worth of Chevy Volts to help the Obama campaign and save the world.

[-] 1 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

BTW, onepercentguy, you could give my foundation the money, I just have to tell my CEO-its just me and her and we can certainly alter our tax designation. I wanted to get some local doctors I know on board first, but we will be needing donors. If it seems like I do nothing, it's because my husband just died in the war and its a but of a rough patch. I get tired of all the paperwork from it and I lived on base and had to clear housing really fast....doesn't matter.

[-] 1 points by freewriterguy (882) 12 years ago

i think people need a leg up , i want to start a charity that helps people form their own business, by sponsoring some of the start up obstacles placed in small business that causes alot of small businesses to fail. Thru charity donations I can use these funds to overcome the obstacles, and create, or promote the generation of small business. For example I think everyone that has a talent or knows how to make something can offer their product or service on the internet and have a web page to do it. I know how to do all this, and gained alot of experience from my own business. Im quite successful at my business, even though my profit is low, I have always made enough to pay my rent, food, gas, pay employees, etc...

[-] 1 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

I agree ... it's a great idea

[-] 1 points by shield (222) 12 years ago

Whatever you do don't give it to any US run/affiliated organization. Give it to some human beings who will use it to create something more than what you gave them.

[-] 1 points by nobnot (529) from Kapaa, HI 12 years ago

Alec.

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

put together a petitioning site where people can vote with their full names

promote the site to garner significant numbers

[-] 0 points by onepercentguy (294) 12 years ago

nah. i have yet to see a single non-election petition ever work for anything

another reason to use the full name

petitions need to be taken seriously

the ones i'm talking about include full name petitions. again, they're worthless. anything non-binding in nature like a non-election petition has little real influence

amazes me how people still insist on using them. the petition is as worthless as the boycott is

then we need laws to bind them

unnecessary and wastefully redundant. that's what the civil courts are for.

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Another bullshit thread.

[-] 1 points by freehorseman (267) from Miles City, Mt 12 years ago

Just keep telling em IT's the BANK$ . Stay on message.

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (3413) 6 days ago 150,000. Don't go decreasing it on me. 2 ideas. I will share one. There is an area that is not exceptional. You can pick up a house for about $12,000 or less. As long as the foundation is sturdy and the roofing is still good I have something to work with. The plumbing or electricity (or both) is usually jacked up and that has to be repaired. I would like to buy four of them. Preferably on the same street. I have one person that I count on to look at this stuff to figure out what is needed and repairs are done well and I am not going to get jacked around on the price. I don't trust anyone else. I want aging in place changes made (doors widened for wheel chairs, showers (you know the deal). I want the grass removed from the front yard and plants that are found in the area planted (less water and minimal care). Since most of these houses are one or two bedrooms then I want to go down to a homeless camp and get what I can. I need only charge enough for the first year to pay property taxes. If one of the houses looks like it is going to be better off just tearing it down then start a community garden. ↥like ↧dislike reply edit delete permalink

[-] 1 points by freehorseman (267) from Miles City, Mt 12 years ago

I want a tipi and another horse.An arabian would suite me well.Nice view of the mountains.Lot's of sky.Rather live round than square.

[-] 0 points by Chugwunka (89) from Willows, CA 12 years ago

Yet you posted on it. What would you do if you had $50,000 to give away?

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

150,000. Don't go decreasing it on me. 2 ideas. I will share one.

There is an area that is not exceptional. You can pick up a house for about $12,000 or less. As long as the foundation is sturdy and the roofing is still good I have something to work with. The plumbing or electricity (or both) is usually jacked up and that has to be repaired. I would like to buy four of them. Preferably on the same street.

I have one person that I count on to look at this stuff to figure out what is needed and repairs are done well and I am not going to get jacked around on the price. I don't trust anyone else.

I want aging in place changes made (doors widened for wheel chairs, showers (you know the deal). I want the grass removed from the front yard and plants that are found in the area planted (less water and minimal care).

Since most of these houses are one or two bedrooms then I want to go down to a homeless camp and get what I can. I need only charge enough for the first year to pay property taxes. If one of the houses looks like it is going to be better off just tearing it down then start a community garden.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by incomeforall (64) 12 years ago

I've always wanted to establish a charity for foster kids. These are the most forgotten children in our society, these kids have absolutely nothing except the clothes on their back. All of them are abused either by their home life or the system, they have no one to love them. Can you comprehend an eight year old torn from whatever home they have and thrust into this frightening situation all alone?

My original concept was to give them a bike or a laptop, just something of their own but reality is possessions will be stolen from them, then they feel the pain of having had something then losing it.

I really don't now the answer but doing something for those children could have positive repercussions for a lifetime.

I know this is BS... but I'll answer anyway... use it to help the country the best you can... by creating new jobs... which imo.. would develop the greatest return by using it as security for new enterprises to obtain venture capital

nah. i try to give away 15% of my income every year. doing last year and this year together.

already funding scholarships at university. funding local art, my church and some jobs programs. am out of ideas at this point.

am already creating jobs with my money, that's how i made 150k to give away.

ok... ;) ... I say ... America's manufacturing has been devastated ... and anything that supports NEW manufacturing for America can only lead to benefit in every direction ... if I had $150k... I would set up an operation like Kiva micro loans ... but with the micro venture capital spin

[-] 1 points by FreedomReigns (72) 12 years ago

The White Hats/White Dragon Society

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

Wow. I made it to the top of the list!

I actually am making my own mental health foundation, but we not ready to take donations. You can message me if you'd like info. :( But I think this would be a better specific use of your funds:

Due to the autism epidemic there is a large number of autistic adults who require inpatient care now. They often can become violent and have other medical problems and can no longer be taken care of by their families. These patients are placed in mental hospitals with the criminally insane. Families don't want this outcome for their children. If you could save up your funds or get together with some of your friends, you might be able to build a special inpatient hospital dedicated to these patients, since the cost would be much higher that 150,000 and require a trust to continue working. I think that would be a great thing to do.

[-] 0 points by Perspective (-243) 12 years ago

Go to your local homeless shelter and donate it to them.That amount would certainly be a boon to any shelter.Locally we have St. Vincent DePaul but I don't know if they are national or not but I'm sure a quick google search will guide you in the right direction.

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by Reneye (118) 12 years ago

Here is a noble cause and a huge solution to communities and taking the monopoly of food at least partially out the oligarchs control.

Seattle to Build Nation’s First Food Forest; Rewarding, and fun to boot!

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/02/21/its-not-fairytale-seattle-build-nations-first-food-forest

[-] 0 points by Wondrous (37) 12 years ago

Use it to help expose the Criminal Ruling Globalist Elite (.01%)

[-] 0 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

Mental health care. Help build another inpatient clinic. We have hundreds of patients waiting for inpatient care and the same patients get kicked out and bounce back to make room for new patients. The prisons are our new mental health facilities. It's uncivilized and wrong.

[-] 0 points by toukarin (488) 12 years ago

Analyse the local job environment and then set up some appropriate vocational training for lower skilled long term unemployed. That's what I would do. Might get a few of them jobs, and at least give them something constructive to do with their time.

[-] 1 points by onepercentguy (294) 12 years ago

already do this

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by FreeDiscussion5 (12) 12 years ago

The post starts out, "you have 150,000" then in the message it says, "i plan on giving away." I think the post meant to say, "i have 150,000 comic books"

[-] 0 points by badconduct (550) 12 years ago

Paying off people's credit card debts and lines of credit. 5 - 10 thousand here or there makes a significant impact on household income for 15 - 30 families.

nah. i dont believe in handouts.

[-] 1 points by badconduct (550) 12 years ago

Than call it an interest free loan. And make them pay it back, without interest

nah, i can get a far better return than zero in equities

Than you aren't helping anyone but yourself. You may as well just put the money into Oil shares, and start spreading fear about the oil prices going through the roof.

How are you helping anyone if you are only interested in helping yourself? Don't you see what the problem is now?

nah. i made my fortune by creating jobs, im sure my employees are pretty happy about that

What does paying people to work have to do with giving away money? You're not really 'giving away' anything if you expect a % of return.

[-] 1 points by onepercentguy (294) 12 years ago

it has nothing to do with giving away money. you're confusing a gift with a loan. you suggested giving away the 150k to individuals to pay down their debt, i won't do that because i dont believe in handouts or bailouts. so then you said make it a loan, which changes the nature of the conveyance to an investment. i dont expect a return from a gift other than the satisfaction of giving and the obvious tax benefits. i do expect a return on any investment i make and an interest free loan is a very poor investment. the difference is distinct and easy to follow.

Your subject said "Give away"

Paying down debt will pay for itself 10 fold. People with bad credit can't take out bigger loans (or shouldn't), and they will live a lot easier on their income if they do not need to make interest payments.

Suit yourself. Keep it than or give it to Kony 2012.

[-] -1 points by sato (148) 12 years ago

Red Cross

[-] -1 points by BlackSun (275) from Agua León, BC 12 years ago

Any of numerous children's charities. Hospitals, children's homes etc... Fuck all this politically bullshit/posturing.

[-] 0 points by BlackSun (275) from Agua León, BC 12 years ago

Amazed that no one else here would give to children's charities.