Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Will gas break the $4.12 it set in June of 2008?

Posted 12 years ago on Feb. 27, 2012, 10:50 a.m. EST by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I do find it interesting when announcers say that gas was $1.89 when Obama came into office without mentioning that it was over $4 just six months before, at the end of the Bush years.

58 Comments

58 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Chart: Why the GOP's Gas Price Attack on Obama Is BS http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/chart-gop-gas-price-attack-obama

Thought you might like this.

[-] 2 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 12 years ago

Hey thanks, just throwing up some quick pushback :).

I grabed this from a chart that was not as good, as this one, this is really nice showing the steady climb over the 2000's.

You're welcome. I didn't want to start a whole 'nother thread to detract from yours.

You know its really sad that good work, like that done by Mother Jones and The Nation gets pushed to the side for "drive by" gawking, that the 24/7 channels cover all the time. Don’t spread this around but I can even remember when The National Review did some good stuff, not that I agreed with them. But the right has been pushing down top tax rates so successfully that to continue to defend it, is just ridiculous.

[-] 1 points by craigdangit (326) 12 years ago

So, what does the chart prove?

Primarily that the difference in the cost of gas between Europe and the US in this timeline is taxes. The Federal tax has not changed much here.

[-] 0 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 12 years ago

One thing you can see is that from an oilmans' point of view, Bush did a great job on prices.

[-] 1 points by craigdangit (326) 12 years ago

And Obama as well? Why just Bush?

[-] 1 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 12 years ago

look at the chart we are still below where Bush took them. Don't blame the fireman your house is on fire, he just got here.

[-] 1 points by JuanFenito (847) 12 years ago

Bush was part of the oil conspiracy, which the chart proves, because oil prices went up after he took office. Obama is not part of the oil conspiracy, which the chart proves, because oil prices went down after he took office.

[+] -5 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Yep a big conflict of interest for that presidency.

Gas goes up we use less, that is a good thing but the problem is really the low wages, people have to work and the price of basic needs are beyond the reach of too many. Then the people who profit from the high prices use them as excussue to push policies that hurt working class even more, like sucuring subsidies for drilling, then others have to make up in difference in tax payments.

The gas prices going up and up and up. Pushed the economy into a fragile spot to begin with. It was the factor that drove small business to start downsizing ( layoffs ) then started business to fail as they could not afford rising costs. At the same time this started to push families on the edge of failure under water. This began the start of major home mortgage failures. The downward spiral had begun. Then came the stock market meltdown.

We are fortunate that we are in no worse position than we are.

I was managing a small restaurant back a few years ago as prices started to raise, and fuel costs were a huge factor, first at the farms to grow the wheat all the way to getting cooked buns to our counter, and while the true cost of oil eats at our economy, those who profit from its sale fight things like higher CAFE standards that might help us out of this mess.

Fossil Fuel the whole process needs to be regulated and capped. Then we need to work our asses off to replace it with a new fuel base.

There was no excuse for the rising prices there is still no excuse. When this industry is making multi-billion dollar per quarter profits while the rest of the economy is failing. There is real economic criminality in action.

I agree, instead of giving oil companies tax breaks we should be taxing them and using the money to fund research into methods of replacing their industry.

Yes put their hypocritical lip service about researching and developing new clean energy technology to work in a real way.

Support the Hopewell Project as well as cold fusion reactors and the development of Hydrogen fuel technology.

Upgrade the power grid. Help make it wind and solar power friendly while readying it for the inclusion of Hydrogen fuel cell power plants as well as the inclusion of cold fusion power plants.

We don't need to wait decades to move forward we can get this done now and put a tremendous number of people to work making it happen.

I heard a piece on NPR talking about how in Germany they had a real breakthrough in rooftop solar when banks realized it was “money in the bank” because unlike most the crap they lend money on, solar panels actually pay for themselves. Besides that you have to hire somebody to put them on, I think we should be doing this in a big way. Everything you said is dead on too.

Thank you so much, that is truly good to here.

[-] -2 points by JanitorInaDrum (134) 12 years ago

It proves that Obama, despite wanting everyone to think he has control over everything, joined the club and is one of them.

Check his net worth for the last ten years.

[-] -2 points by newman (-58) 12 years ago

Nice try libtard but your propaganda failed. Everyone knows that the rising gas prices are all buckwheat's fault.

Awwwww, did your ass got popped on BS? Awwww.

[-] 0 points by newman (-58) 12 years ago

In other related new!!!!!!! Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/27/media-matters-boss-paid-former-partner-850g-blackmail-settlement/

Libtard goin down hehehehehehhehe

It was settled confidentially. :/

You don't have anything. Again. Much ado 'bout nothing. Again.

[-] 1 points by Progression (143) 12 years ago

Whether or not gas prices will break record highs will depend on OPEC and our other oil overlords.

[-] 1 points by Umair (24) 12 years ago

Basic economics along with greed result in the gas prices that we see today. Have you been to LA? You know how much gas already costs here? Europe?

[-] 1 points by Riley2011 (110) from New Britain, CT 12 years ago

Honey- we broke it here in New England...please raise the bar to 5.00

We should index min wage to gas prices, then they would stay low.

[-] 1 points by freewriterguy (882) 12 years ago

i understood that the government subsidizes the gasoline industry or else we would be paying over $5 per gallon today.

[-] 1 points by epa1nter (4650) from Rutherford, NJ 12 years ago

In fact I saw a study that showed the real price of gas is closer to $10.00 per gallon if one includes subsidies, tax breaks, etc. And that STILL doesn't factor in externalities like environmental impacts and health issues.

I would not be surprised if that were true. I mostly put this up because it seemed like there was a big spin con going with everybody talking like gas had gone from $1.89 to near $4 under Obama, without pointing out that we had already been above $4.

[-] 0 points by BlackSun (275) from Agua León, BC 12 years ago

I paid $4.31 yesterday.

National avg, is about $3.69, somebody posted they paid $4.66 back in 2005 that's the highest I've seen. I'm sure we will see $5 by summer, after we spent all that money over there over the past decade shame really.

[-] 0 points by XenuLives (1645) from Charlotte, NC 12 years ago

Its $3.72 for me right now. I expect it to be $4 in a month.

Still hoping for a Nissan Leaf2 / Chevy Volt2, with a 200 mile range on a single charge...

Got to love them GM cars! The leaf is nice too. I hate that those who can least afford it get hurt so much by this change from oil to something else that we have to do, really liked that cash for clunkers thing wasn't perfect but long term seemed like like a really good program.

Oh yeah, the price definitely needs to be reduced as well. I just keep remembering that the Apple Lisa (Apple's first home computer with a graphical interface and a mouse) was $10,000. Early PC games retailed for $80 and came on highly volatile floppy discs. Its going to get better. Its just a matter of time.

I think that once we see electric versions of models like the Dodge Challenger that we'll see widespread adoption of electric. Right now we're just being offered some ho-hum sedans. They're pretty boring as far as cars go.

I think it’s Acura that has a 360hp, 42 mpg sports coup hybrid, then there's always Tesla, but damn that's a lot of money. You're right though this is like so many things a few at first, but it makes sense, so it moves in one direction, its not like you're going to look at two points in time 5 years apart and not see more alt. fuel vehicles at the later time.

[-] -1 points by skylar (-441) 12 years ago

0bama & co want the price to go up so the consumer will turn to a "green" car that goes no where. after all , GM is Government Motors. beside the direct cost of gasoline, those that don't own a car will pay for the rise in gas prices with the cost of all goods going up. How do you think things, all things get to stores? Trucks. they pay more for gas , YOU pay more for what they deliver. those electric cars,.where do you think the electricity comes from? coal plants.

Not entirely true. There's plenty of hydro, wind, and solar power to harness to generate electricity.

[-] 0 points by skylar (-441) 12 years ago

wind and solar are worthless, coupled with hydro they are no replacement for coal.

We're going to run out of coal eventually. Wind and solar have high start-up costs, but then they just generate energy without having to constantly mine for more. Long-term that is the best way to save money on energy, since it requires no raw materials or labor after the initial investment.

[-] 0 points by skylar (-441) 12 years ago

windmills has to me maintained and replaced. windmills actually warm up the air. solar panels have to be replaced .how about nuclear?

[Removed]

Where was it $1.89?!? I remember paying $2.39-2.69 when Obama entered office.

When we had the Katrina fuel shortage, I remember having to pay $4.66 after waiting in line for an hour to get gas... I am ready to switch to electric as soon as a model with more mileage per charge is developed.

Hey the chart I used only went back to 2006 so might not of caught that Katrina bump.

This is US avg.

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

Hey thanks for coming by, I don't doubt you did pay $4.66, and I think electric with NiCd batteries show a lot of promise, some say it's dirty to make the batteries, but I think we can get better.

[-] 1 points by XenuLives (1645) from Charlotte, NC 12 years ago

Yeah, its just like with any technology. It takes time to get it right. I'm just hoping that in this case "getting it right" takes less than a generation, because I am definitely ready to say goodbye to gas stations :)

What would they do if we all had rofftop solar and an electric car? So many things are made much tougher becuase somebody with a lot of money, might lose out like the oil companies.

Exactly. That's why we need lobbyist reform. The lobbying game is unfairly stacked towards the ones with the most money to produce slick marketing campaigns and woo politicians.

I'm still laughing at the freaking High Fructose Corn Syrup commercial that I saw at the gym, which tells you that its "OK" to eat that stuff because it "comes from corn." Its ridiculous, but what's more ridiculous is that somebody is probably buying into that BS thanks to those slick production values, corn-field imagery, and soothing narrator voice.

Is there any resource that I can point people to (book, website, video) that shows how advertisements like these are designed to generate apathy towards controversial/dangerous viewpoints?

True, when they talk about running the government like a business I think people don’t always think of what that means. To them the government should serve its customers the tax payers, the more tax they pay (or get out of paying with your help) the bigger customer they are and all businesses know you have to keep your big clients happy, so of course they write laws to appeal to their biggest customers.

I've been reading Consumers Reports for forty years, they do a good job of teaching people how to spot their tricks :).

[-] -1 points by PretendHitGirI (13) 12 years ago

I agree with some others who feel the best thing to happen will be for it to push way past 5/gal. That will certainly piss enough people off their couches and onto their feet.

This corrupt and broken facade of a democratic republic must be deconstructed and rebuilt upon integrity and honor.

[-] -1 points by SteveKJR (-497) 12 years ago

The Obimination claims that we are doing more drilling now then we ever have. What he doesn't say is what kind of drilling.

Oil drilling has been reduced significantly in this country and that's why the price of a gallon of gas is approaching $4.00.

The following link lists "oil production" in this country from 1970 to 2010. http://petroleuminsights.blogspot.com/2011/04/us-crude-oil-production-1970-1980-1990.html

This is what they pay for a gallon of gasoline in venezuela because they drill for their own oil

http://devilsexcrement.com/2011/01/05/how-cheap-is-gasoline-in-venezuela-another-reality-check/

Now with that being said why can't we at least do our own drilling until we get a handle on the economy by becoming "oil independent"

In the meantime we need to build more nuclear plants to get geared up for all those electric vehicles that "may or may not" be coming down the pike.

In addition to that, taxes can be imposed on imports to be used to explore and improve other alternatives.

At least the price of oil would be down and it wouldn't be a burden to pay the extra taxes on imports.

In addition to that lots more jobs will be created.

He did raise CAFE mileage, we should have been doing that every few years but it wasn't increased for years and as a result we have fallen behind. Wish we would do more, but look at what the mass media did to him when he put 10 billion into solar and what 5% was lost and that's all they talk about. At least we have started to move on CAFE.

[-] 0 points by SteveKJR (-497) 12 years ago

Again as I have stated we need to do something "now" to be "oil independent". He has done nothing to help that situation.

It's fine raising the CAFE milage but does the put money in peoples pockets - no it doesn't.

Lower gasoline prices certainly would.

Oil companies have a record number of drilling leases, yet are drilling in like 20% or something like that he can't make them drill, they are sitting on a ton of oil and doing everything they can to keep prices high, I got it lets nationalize 'em that will get the job done!

It's not just about the drilling - it's about getting the permits. Only 3 permits for drilling have been issued within the last 6 months. Less before then.

And I might add that although the obimination boasts about doing more drilling in this country he doesn't clarify.

Yes we are doing more drilling but it's not for oil - it's for natural gas.

How many permits have they applied for? 3 maybe? So you really think with like 50% of the demand and about 5% opf the suppy we are going to drill ourselves out of this? That's crazy talk.

Here's what you don't understand. There is enough oil in our country to make us oil independent for at least the next 50 years.

The other thing you don't understand is that our government is "reactive" instead of being "proactive".

Meaning that if the current president was on top of what was going on in Iran, he would have taken actions long before this to prepare for what's going on today.

Apparently his priority is not with the American people for if it was we wouldn't have to be concerned about our gasoline prices going up because of what's going on in the Middle East.

At what price $50/gal if you really know about these things you know how crazy expenisive it is to get to most of that stuff, and it's not just because of the government, in a lot of cases it's because of the ocean.