Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Why did Mitt Romney lose the 2012 election?

Posted 9 years ago on Aug. 14, 2014, 8:53 a.m. EST by ThomasKent (131)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

It was two weeks before Election Day when Mitt Romney’s political director signed a memo that all but ridiculed the notion that the Republican presidential nominee, with his “better ground game,” could lose the key state of Ohio or the election. The race is “unmistakably moving in Mitt Romney’s direction,” the memo said.

But the claims proved wildly off the mark, a fact embarrassingly underscored when the high-tech voter turnout system that Romney himself called “state of the art” crashed at the worst moment, on Election Day.

To this day, Romney’s aides wonder how it all went so wrong.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2012/president/2012/12/23/the-story-behind-mitt-romney-loss-the-presidential-campaign-president-obama/2QWkUB9pJgVIi1mAcIhQjL/story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/30/us/politics/romney-i-will.html?_r=0

54 Comments

54 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by ShadzSixtySix (1936) 9 years ago

Romoney personified economic parasitism. The Financial Sector has become a job-destroying, home-breaking, life-crushing machine, which impoverishes others to enrich itself. The tighter that its grip is on politics, the more its representatives must tell the opposite story: of life-affirming enterprise, innovation and investment, of brave entrepreneurs making their fortunes out of nothing but grit and wit.

A century ago, entrepreneurs sought to pass themselves off as parasites ; they adopted the style and manner of the titled, rentier class. Today the parasites claim to be entrepreneurs.

In fact Romoney had publicly declared that regulation is one of the greatest evils facing The USA and he would like to 'liberate' banks and financial institutions from government supervision even further. In short, to rage so violently against the need for any financial supervision is a very peculiar way of responding to a severe economic downturn brought on by a largely unsupervised financial sector. Perhaps the election was supposed to be stolen again - as Karl Rove thought it would be but it was too hard to so. Also fyi :

radix omnium malorum est cupiditas ...

[-] 2 points by quantumystic (1710) from Memphis, TN 9 years ago

i mean obama is a corporate puppet but romney is a vulture capitalist so most took the corporate puppet rather than the vulture.

[-] 1 points by Zophim99 (12) 9 years ago

Romney lost because he didn't give us no phones, so his cheap ass deserved what he got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

[-] 1 points by ThomasKent (131) 9 years ago

1 small step for man... a giant leap for mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA

[-] 1 points by MattHolck0 (3867) 9 years ago

what was the 2012 election about ?

[-] 4 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

Finally liberating the system from graft and corruption, electing a true leader of honor and integrity to motivate us and work with us in achieving change for the better; holding the wealthy and their companies to standards of conduct and punishing dishonesty; thereby improving our individual status and that of the downtrodden, promoting intellectual endeavors and innovation, raising wages and civil rights to a new high in this country and once again putting America at the vanguard of the world. Sorry, I was fooled too. Silly me.

[-] 3 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

"electing a true leader of honor and integrity to motivate us"

That right there sums it all up. Thinking someone else can come into your life and motivate you. Motivation is internal.

[-] 2 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

Hmmm. Poor choice of words on my part, you're right. Just scrub 'to motivate us'. 'To serve us' might be better if it didn't bring to mind the Twilight Zone episode 'To Serve Man'. The metaphor would be accurate, though. THEY'RE GONNA F*NG EAT US!! 'IT'S A COOKBOOK!' Or maybe just the bylaws of the SEC and the Fed.

[-] 1 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

Serve us would be good, because then it makes us wonder- are we fit to lead and to give directions to?

We really choose to be a nonfactor in the vast majority of the process. Sure, we choose them every two-four years, but after that its total cruise control. No town meetings, no working groups to create amendments, etc. And when we do come up with things, we pander to them as if we are privileged for them to listen.

Are we capable, at this point, of managing public servants?

[-] 2 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

Americans, as a whole, no. They're sheeple. Reduced to ennui and consenting to their own increasing woes and miseries. There should be reviews every year to allow our elected idiots, um, leaders, to demonstrate their capabilities and commitment to the 'democratic' process. One problem is the lack of enforced and enforceable rules for every branch of government. What good did all those SEC regs do a few years ago, anyway? A greater problem is discovering what will awaken those who recognize the many injustices but are afraid to facilitate change and sink back into their regimen without question, as if doing so will only make it worse.

[-] 2 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

Some would say the power to hire but not to fire is not power at all.

I agree that we should do performance reviews every year. If its a failing grade, the next person up automatically is plugged in. If they are unavailable, the next one after that.

We need to create a sense of urgency in these slug politicians. Honestly, a sense of fear. They are financially removed from reality, socially removed from reality, and actually physically removed from it as well.

Personally I hate the idea of representatives who can create legislation and then all vote on it themselves, I think its a horrific idea. I would prefer something much leaner, much more horizontal, and something much more decentralized than even state capitals.

If it fucks up interstate/area commerce then oh well. Imo that would only help to keep things local.

Edit: If people say that the duties of the representatives is too complex to be constantly juggling people in and out, then guess what, the process is too complex.

breathing is involuntary

[-] 2 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 9 years ago

primarily about getting the politicians who were in bed with wallSt out of office

[-] 1 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

What happens when Wall St is the one that is providing 99% of the selections from which to chose from?

From the tv to facebook, its attack ads galore. No one has done anything, again as usual, to create their candidates.

thanks. I seem to be suffering from amnesia

[-] 0 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

Why did Mitt Romney lose the 2012 election?

Because He is a compulsive pathological liar who lies about his lies while lying about not lying about a lie he just told? OH and He is a corp(se)oRAT predator as well as willing puppet. OH - did I mention that - He is a compulsive pathological liar who lies about his lies while lying about not lying about a lie he just told!

[-] 2 points by MattHolck0 (3867) 9 years ago

I don't recall Mitt Romney representing anything

Voltaire- Parade

[-] 3 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 9 years ago

Matt... Voltaire is great ... how does that relate to Romney ? ... Romney was a raider who bankrupted, dismantled & sold off business assets to make money

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

Short memory? You don't recall one of his tag lines? = corp(se)oRATions are people my friend. You don't remember that one?

[-] 1 points by ThomasKent (131) 9 years ago

Ha ha ha ha.

Would be funny - except he was the choice to run for office - so scary so very scary.

[Removed]

Go occupy your stairwell you vile thing.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by eklutna (101) 9 years ago

Go away.....you're fucked up oneyedjack.

[+] -5 points by oneeyedjack (-125) from Queens, NY 9 years ago

You support the Twinkle Team trying to infiltrate this forum? You should have listened to me ages ago Odin. You basically let the Twinkle Team take over this place. You supported them back in the day and asked jart to ban me instead. You saw things backwards.

[-] 2 points by 99nproud (2697) 9 years ago

Yes sir officer

Go screw oneeye... I am no fan of the twinkle team. It's just I don't want to get into the gutter with you. That's all.

I'd tell you to get bent - but it is obvious you are already quite bent - in fact the toxic swamp of your psyche probably resembles a Gordian knot.

Does anyone else find this picture to be funny? ->

[+] -5 points by oneeyedjack (6) from Queens, NY 49 minutes ago

Your face is full of Obama's cum you dork troll. Sell out Democrat shill. You spend your days naked in you therapeutic bed making love to shooz and sweating all over your keyboard. You fat sweaty pig.

↥twinkle ↧stinkle reply permalink

[-] 4 points by eklutna (94) 23 minutes ago

Go away.....you're fucked up oneyedjack.

↥twinkle ↧stinkle reply permalink

Goatin and thrashingmasks

Both long time attackers of me.

Now suddenly opposing one another?

Take note - the voting up or down is limited to their two comments.

What game are the two of em playing now?

Is Goatin supposed to be seen as the magnanimous one - defending his long time arch Nemesis? hahahahahahhhaaaaaaa too funny.

[-] 2 points by MattHolck0 (3867) 9 years ago

meh sexual references have a fairly limited scope

http://www.kineticnorth.com/TheGutter/RandomJokeGenerator/Default.aspx

Missing(?) the point completely - thanks matt.

[-] 0 points by eklutna (101) 9 years ago

It's your soapbox DK. It's too nice of a day to be here for me.

[-] 2 points by 99nproud (2697) 9 years ago

Yes sir officer

No-ones keeping ya - so - buh-bye ( funny that you gave up on playing your absurd role in thrashingmasks comedy so soon ).

It's not that I don't agree with thrassy that you and shooz have done a lot of harm to this forum, it's just I won't get in the gutter with him in saying the mean-spirited things he did to you. I have also avoided getting in the gutter with the vile partisan posters on here that you and shooz supported. Your lack of contrition for the despotic way you ran this forum is telling DK.

GFYS - I banned you once ( initially ) then jart let you back after your plea to her. Then jart banned you when you went back on your attack runs - after that she was done with you and said so - and so your status of - to be banned on discovery - still stands - that was the status jart gave you - not I - jart. Since that time ( leveling of your current status ) jart had not instructed otherwise during my short time as a moderator - as far as I know your status has not changed = to be banned upon recognition.

[-] 2 points by eklutna (101) 9 years ago

Let's take me out of your little equation altogether DK. It is just purposely muddling the issue.

The question is; Did you and shooz protect partisan posters on here who shared your neocon Democrat views....and in fact didn't you ban non-partisans at a far, far higher rate than partisans?

Let's be honest DK .....perhaps for the first time in a long time. Just as we would like the people who caused so much harm in the World to apologize, we deserve an apology from you.

Until then you just bring a stench to this forum....to Occupy, and you continue to make a mockery of it.. When you're willing to show real contrition, and quit the partisan games, I'm ready to move on, and do my part to make this the best forum around.

[-] 9 points by MattHolck0 (3867) 9 years ago

banning is a poor practice for any forum which seeks to thrive

anyone that post here cares about this forum

even if only to try and destroy it

almost all posts are entered by interested human beings

I suppose people could be paid to post but no one has ever made me such an offer

[-] 3 points by MattHolck0 (3867) 9 years ago

I protect posters that are attacked

[-] -2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

Idiot - do you even know what a neocon is? Do You? You are such an idiot.

is like Alquaada ?

a new con

[-] -2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

You deserve nothing but derision. And so being - that is what I give you.

I do not go around pretending to be someone that I am not in order to establish myself - That is What YOU DO.

You know nothing of honor - as you demonstrated quite well when you 1st came to the forum and were telling all of the regulars ( as well as pretty much everyone else ) how awesome they all were and how you loved what was going on on-line and that OWS should use the internet actions as well as street protests.

Then the worm ( you ) turned. You figured that you had established yourself sufficiently and you launched into your program - the program you had decided upon prior to working to ingratiate yourself with the regulars here - YES - including me. Then you started to shit all over the place. Hell you were F'n Bloody Odin and you were gonna do what ever the hell you wanted to. In this You and Thrashingmasks are quite alike.

Good job at avoiding answering a simple question that most of us already know the answer to.

You are a very dishonest person DK, which is another thing.. besides partisanship that is antithetical to Occupy.

Just for the record, one more time; Did you and shooz protect partisan posters on here who shared your neocon Democrat views... and in fact didn't you ban non-partisan posters at a far, far higher rate than partisans.

We deserve the truth and a heart-felt apology DK. Then we can go on.

[-] -1 points by oneeyedjack (-125) from Queens, NY 9 years ago

Odin deserves utmost respect. He is our missing link. The Bridge To The Ground. The occupier both on the web and on the ground. One of very few. If OWS is to be resurrected, he is the one who can do it.

You have no right to invade OWS, to ban users, and to act like a complete idiot. You don't even care about the most fundamental OWS principals.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

[Removed]

filibuster

[-] -2 points by oneeyedjack (-125) from Queens, NY 9 years ago

Jart was wrong and evil in her wish to ban Odin. You followed her desires blindly like a dumb slave minion. This makes you bad as well. The jartocracy should not be tolerated by true occupiers. People who work for censorship are not occupy friends no matter who they are.

BTW - prior to my banning you in the 1st place - I tried real hard to reason with you. This was at a time when you didn't know that I was a moderator.

I tried to get you to leave users you didn't agree with alone and I tried to do the same with others ( jiffysquid for 1 ).

You gave me lip service and said that you would leave those you disagreed with alone.

Then - you went straight back out and tore into em again.

I talked with you some more and you told me that you were gonna do what you were gonna do and that there was nothing I could do about it.

I told you to knock it off or I would see to it that you got banned.

You dared me to go ahead.

You got banned.

You cried to me about it and said you would change your ways if I got you back onto the forum. Again you lied and as soon as you were back onto the forum - you went straight back to attacking others.

You got banned again.

You cried to me again.

I told you to go talk to admin/mediation/jart about it.

You did and you told jart that you would behave.

You lied again and went straight back onto your attack program - AGAIN.

You got banned ( AGAIN ). This time though you had burned your bridges and were told to go away.

You started harassing jart at OWS public events. You kept bothering her by e-mail.

jart said in no uncertain terms that every time you showed up on the forum - YOU WERE TO BE BANNED - each and every time you showed back up.

SO - AGAIN - GFYS

[Removed]

Again - as I owe you nothing - consider this repeat as being generous and expect that I will do my best to never have another conversation with you.

You deserve nothing but derision from me - And that being the case ( the honest truth ) - that is what I give you.

I do not go around pretending to be someone that I am not in order to establish myself - That is What YOU DO.

You know nothing of honor - as you demonstrated quite well when you 1st came to the forum and were telling all of the regulars ( as well as pretty much everyone else ) how awesome they all were and how you loved what was going on on-line and that OWS should use the internet actions as well as street protests.

Then the worm ( you ) turned. You figured that you had established yourself sufficiently and you launched into your program - the program you had decided upon prior to working to ingratiate yourself with the regulars here - YES - including me. Then you started to shit all over the place. Hell you were F'n Bloody Odin and you were gonna do what ever the hell you wanted to. In this You and Thrashingmasks are quite alike.

[Removed]

[-] -3 points by oneeyedjack (-125) from Queens, NY 9 years ago

The problem is not Odin.

The problem is the jartocracy and jart's slave minions like you.

You attacked user after user on this site, and banned so many people. That's much worse than Odin ever did. You don't believe in the principals of OWS. In principals of freedom of speech, freedom of ideas, etc... You believe in censorship. A true jartocrat.

Again - you are 1 user no matter how many characters you try to play - you are still one ( pretty fucked-up ) individual. You I did not ban initially - that was someone else who was moderating when you 1st started playing your games. As far as I know - YOU - never even once asked admin/mediation/jart to be let back onto the forum.

So Again - GFYS then consider opening your own site like you always keep saying you should/could.

[-] -2 points by oneeyedjack (-125) from Queens, NY 9 years ago

I don't need jart's permission to be here. Nobody should need it. She asks for OWS donations on this very site, so she should be open to the 99%. If she wants to run a private jart site fine, but then don't ask for donations under the OWS name.

Censorship is evil, and you gladly participated in that evil.

[Removed]