Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Why do you continue to push Ron PauI?

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 7, 2011, 12:47 p.m. EST by ARod1993 (2420)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I would be open to a public audit of the Fed, and if it shows significant dishonesty and irresponsibility I would be open to nationalizing it and handing its functions over to the US Treasury Department. As far as tariffs on imports go, that's the only way I can think of to begin the process of bringing jobs back to America and raising the wage of the average worker. If he's not going to work to address one of the major causes of long-term unemployment and wage losses then I fail to see how it's a good idea to vote for him.

I'd also like to see a great deal more clarification from Mr. Paul on which sets of regulations he considers outside the constitutional jurisdiction of the government and which ones he considers vital reforms that need to stay in place. Honestly, given his rhetoric on the matter I don't know what to believe and I don't want to believe he's one thing only to find out the hard way that he's another. I want the Patriot Act gone and the TSA dismantled, and I think he and I can agree on that. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley vote is a good sign but until I can square that with his rhetoric and get an actual platform from the man I'm not going to consider voting for him.

His comments on the EPA scare the shit out of me; Essentially most of eastern North Carolina stinks to high heaven because of hundreds of millions of gallons of pig crap from factory farms is being let to marinate in open-air lagoons and/or sprayed into the air as an aerosol. It's actually gotten to the point of ruining something like nine or ten waterways and causing China-esque air quality problems. What really takes the cake, though, is the leaky nuclear waste dump in Andrews County, Texas that happens to be sitting on the aquifer that provides drinking water to seven different states. This is the kind of crap the EPA belongs fighting, and eliminating the one agency that wants to clean up the environment is an enormous step in the wrong direction.

On top of that his talk of flat taxes and imposition of the gold standard makes me profoundly uncomfortable. A flat tax is by its very nature a regressive tax, and in order to bring in the same revenue as the current system it would have to take the difference out of the hides of the people who can afford it the least. He also wants to tax capital gains (essentially money created without any actual work being done to earn it) at a lower rate than regular income, which is just plain incentivization of laziness on the top end. As far as the gold standard is concerned, the first thing you learn in economics 101 is that credit needs to be relaxed rather than tightened to deal with a recession, and moving to a gold standard would pretty much strangle credit at the time when that would hurt us the most. Once again, bad policy.

Besides, the man's apparently a young-earth creationist. That pretty much tears it for me. I don't care what else he is, if he deliberately shuts his eyes to basic science (whether it's to pander to the religious right or, even worse, if that's an accurate reflection of where he stands) there's no way in hell I'm going to trust him with the country. If the man decides that continually verified truth doesn't matter because it conflicts with his beliefs then on some level something has gone very wrong.

Bringing the troops home is fine and dandy, but we're already well on our way to doing that; there's a very good chance that pretty much all troops will be out of Iraq by the end of December 2011, and we're going to have all of our combat people out of Afghanistan by sometime in 2014.

So far, I see a man who's gotten one, maybe two things right (his no votes on Gramm-Leach-Bliley and S.1867, and his desire to put the Fed under a microscope). However, those two things are pretty small when you consider the number of things he seems to be promising to get wrong as president.

Given all that, why do you still push us to vote for him? Do you disagree with the facts below, and if so where do you claim I've gone wrong? Do you want to see a chunk taken out of the Pentagon's budget so badly you're willing to do it at such a high cost to the rest of the country? Or do you believe that we should support him because neither establishment Democrats nor establishment Republicans can stand him and you want to make those two groups squirm?

27 Comments

27 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

I dislike Ron Paul. He will not get my vote, or that from my family or friends.

[-] 1 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

Same here; this is mostly addressed to the crowd of his supporters that hang out on these forums (of whom there seem to be fewer of late, and the shilling seems to have dropped to a dull roar) and demand that we vote for him.

[-] 3 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

What they have failed to realize is that this attempt to take over the internet in all forums or newspapers has greatly hurt them.

[-] 2 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

Religious freaks use the Bible to justify disenfranchising women of property ownership. Ron Lawl is only interested in keeping white Christian males in power. He is a nutcase, believes property owners are gods, and have all rights to pollute and define money as what comes from their ground, and to cause value of labor to be pittance compared to land and what comes from it.

[-] 2 points by guru401 (228) 12 years ago

The real question is why certain members of OWS support Obama. He is Wall Street's #1 man.

Honestly, if I can't see a better viable alternative I'll vote for Obama even though 2008-11 has been a shitshow. Romney's out of the question because all he wants to do is march through and deregulate and he's also just a standard establishment Republican, Warren isn't on the ballot, and I've already outlined the reasons above why I won't vote for Paul.

[-] 2 points by guru401 (228) 12 years ago

I doubt Romney wants to deregulate. Both Republicans and Democrats will do whatever their lobbyists tell them to do. Just look at Obama. His policies are so ridiculously Wall Street-friendly, it's criminal. And then the other day, he makes a speech talking about income disparity and the middle class. Is he serious???

I am a Paul supporter. I came on board about six months ago, after I always thought he was an extreme nutjob. But, I won't make this into a Paul campaign stump. What I will say is that I see very little difference between Democrats and Republicans anymore.

[-] 2 points by MonetizingDiscontent (1257) 12 years ago

Return the power of the purse to the congress. Congress is more directly accountable to the people, we elect them! Thats why constitutionally, congress is where it belongs. If they were forced to have the responsibility again, they wouldn't be introducing all these unfunded mandates, because the books would be open to the people, and we wouldn't be having it.

[-] 2 points by aafsec (2) 12 years ago

I was banned from the Global Chat room for making a bad comment about Ron Lawl. Looks like his supporters are moderators in the chat rooms

[-] 2 points by aafsec (2) 12 years ago

I made a bad comment about Ron Lawl in the global chat room and was banned. Now I know why.

[-] 2 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

In the final vote on repeal of Glass-Steagall, Nov. 4, 1999, the crazy troll king, Ronpaul, abstained from voting.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/1999/roll570.xml

He voted against it months before he abstained from voting against it.

All current members of Congress who, in 1999, voted to repeal Glass-Steagall can be found at my web page; The Congress That Crashed America http://home.ptd.net/~aahpat/aandc/congcrash.html

[-] 4 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

The thing is, given all this, why do so many people support him? I literally don't get it.

[-] 2 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

What can I say? He's an evil troll with magical powers to blind people to their own best interests. If you look at him for too long your brain turns to pabulum.

[-] -1 points by newjustice22 (49) 12 years ago

Becasue he has been warning about this for years your not going to get info on here there is nothing but anti american soros people on here. He likes the regulations that were on the banks he warn about removing them and he was proven right. There are thousand of video on youtube of his warning you can look at those and than you can see why his backing is so strong.

Damn... He couldn't even get that right...

[-] 1 points by ubercaput (175) from New York City, NY 12 years ago

It doesn't matter whom you vote. Focus on WallSt

[-] 0 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

That's why I'm here; I want to see adoption of policies that call the financial services industry to account for the mess they made and a return to a strong regulatory environment. I complain about Ron PauI because he seems to stand for all the things that would get in the way of those policies.

[-] 0 points by Infowar (295) 12 years ago

Don't you mean Ron Lawl? So i take it you are a mod that's why you are uncensored? I bet your thumbs ups and downs are more affective to?

[-] 3 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

Nope; I just spell his name p-a-u-i with a capital I that looks like a lowercase l. I am not a mod, and I have no influence over what is posted, how posts are rated, who gets banned, etc. I deliberately chose to circumvent the filter and make his name appear properly so that people would listen to me, and I feel like the filter does a disservice to Mr. Paul's critics by making them sound like childish assholes when they post.

Fair enough i did not think of that way. You got to admit though it is hard to trust a movement / site that censors only one candidate.

[-] 3 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

I understand why it was done because the shilling was getting utterly ridiculous; however, I think the filter was a supremely stupid way to do it because his supporters will simply allude to him rather than naming him and his critics wind up looking immature and obnoxious because of the insults inserted thusly into their posts.

Maybe you may just have to admit he has a much bigger following then you think. Those "shills" as you put it are people that support him. Yes you can try and claim they are paid but you know that is not true someone would have dug that up by now.

Honestly, who knows? If I really felt like it I could come on here and create about fifteen sock puppets to hurl mud and spit invective at people, and then use a script to automate them so they post at random times so that it's not clear where they're all coming from. Vox did something like this so that he could spew hate against Jews and minorities, and it would appear that several of the conspiracy theorists and skinheads have taken a leaf from his book. When a great deal of the Ron PauI posts that go up are written in terrible grammar without any logical coherence or writing style and there's a slew of them every few minutes then people are going to get suspicious.

Actually the mods could see the same IPs are being used and expose it. Also i doubt many of these computer programmers as you suggested are uneducated as you suggested. Me thinks someone just does not like Ron.Paul or anyone with an (R) near their name.

[-] -1 points by FrogWithWings (1367) 12 years ago

Yeah, make both sides of the aisle squirm. That's a good enough reason.

Not really; it depends on why he's making them squirm. If he's calling them out on their crap then that's fine by me; however, I feel it's a bit more like the reason McCarthy started making everyone (on all sides of the aisle) squirm in the early 1950s. McCarthyism started out as a ploy to get Eisenhower elected in 1952 by scaring everyone off the Democratic Party much the same way as the no-government conservatives started out as a ploy to convince people that the alternative was Big Brother. Then as now, people took those allegations a whole lot more seriously than anybody thought, and the reason the Republicans are squirming is that this is their mess that's now spun out of control and going farther than they ever wanted it to.

[-] -1 points by FrogWithWings (1367) 12 years ago

blah blah blah