Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: What's up with the $700/night hotel room our bosses are sleeping in?

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 20, 2011, 6:42 p.m. EST by jenga5 (6) from Washington, DC
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

62 Comments

62 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by golum (46) 12 years ago

So let me understand this, if I go to an OWS meeting or occupation, then automatically that makes me a 'leader'???

[-] 4 points by 99watching (15) 12 years ago

The last Finance Working Group update on the OWS site is Nov. 18, 2011. The total in the checking accounts was only $454,000.00

OWS needs more of your hard earned money to fund 5 star hotel rooms & trips to Egypt so please hit the donate button ASAP.

[-] 0 points by badconduct (550) 12 years ago

It's funny how people work. No matter what, it always goes right back to more of the same.

[-] 1 points by beamerbikeclub (414) 12 years ago

yeah, and what's up with the meetings in the Wells Fargo atrium as reported by Daily Show's Samantha Bea (who I trust way more than the NY Post, but still). Come on people... Be the Change!

[-] 2 points by powertoothepeople (280) 12 years ago

Actually, it is the Deutsche Bank atrium, a public space.

thanks for the correction. but still, what's up with that?

[-] 1 points by powertoothepeople (280) 12 years ago

What's up with them going to warm, quiet, dry space to hold a meeting?

Is that what you mean?

yes, kind of. because they have to consider the symbolism of it. are they serious about "changing the world". or are they uncomfortable? i hesitate to make this criticism because to date I have not hauled my ass down to the park to sleep in the cold & rain for weeks. probably i don't have a good understanding of what this "meeting" is. it was portrayed as basically a "GA" in which decisions about all of OWS were being made. i think i'd rather have more drumming.

The working groups go to 60 Wall St (the bank building) to meet, not the entire GA.

They meet in what's called the atrium which is actually a lobby that is designated as a "privately owned public space" like the park.

This was not a secret. Meetings at 60 Wall are announced, including on the NYCGA website.

thanks for the info. carry on!

[-] 1 points by mserfas (652) from Ashland, PA 12 years ago

The original OWS is in New York, and there are a lot of rich people in New York, and a lot of liberal people in New York, and some people are even both. There are the occasional Andrew Carnegie types salted in the 1%; just because people oppose the concentration of wealth doesn't mean that every single wealthy person is the enemy. The ideology whereby people accept a continuous and ever more extreme concentration of wealth is the enemy, no matter who believes in it.

[-] -1 points by jenga5 (6) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

Ohhhhh....so what is the name of that ideology, by which the evil rich people operate and the nice liberal rich people rise above? After you explain that to me, cuz I'm not that smart, can you tell me where the cut-off is between acceptable concentration of wealth and EXTREME concentration of wealth is...so I can figure out if I'm the enemy or not? Thanks.

I think it's typically known as "liberalism", or at least it's the opposite of what is misnamed as "conservatism". The idea that the very wealthy can legitimately be taxed in order to ensure that the poor have the right to the basic necessities of life. It's not actually defined in terms of anyone having too much money but rather in terms of some people having too little access to food, shelter, medical care etc.

[-] 0 points by jenga5 (6) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

"Very" wealthy - How wealthy is too wealthy, my friend? "Basic" necessities - To some people electricity is a basic necessity, some people could care less. All of your ideals are very noble and Utopian. The problem is, they are way to subjective. All men, generally speaking, can agree that excess is bad and that letting others go without necessities for life is tragic - this is NOT a Liberal or Conservative ideology. Instead, holding these truths important actually has roots in the Judeo-Christian belief system. So, I would say that what you stand for are principles actually founded and by and consistent with Christian beliefs - has nothing to do with being rich or poor, liberal or conservative...heck, there are believers and non-believers in both camps. It is the methods with which either side implements this ideal that is dividing us. Liberals want to give what's not theirs to give to right what both sides see as injustice. Conservatives want to give what they choose to give to fix the same unjustice, and empower the less-fortunate to keep up with the positive results and pay it forward themselves.

Well, if you're going to have taxes and government spending, why not have "utopian" taxes that you levy on the people who can afford them, rather than "down to earth" taxes that you levy only on people who work for their money and make under $120,000 a year? (i.e. the FICA tax, which is not merely a revenue source for Social Security but, formerly, was regarded as a bottomless piggy bank that need never be repaid). Why not have "utopian" government spending where you subsidize the poor and middle class, whether by welfare or by per-employee tax deductions for corporations, that effectively deliver $10,000 per capita to Americans ... rather than "down to earth" government spending of trillions of dollars on wars on the far side of the planet?

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by ustaknow (14) 12 years ago

he must be the CEO

[-] -2 points by jenga5 (6) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

TAKE THAT BACK!!! There are no CEO's in a Communist ANARCHY, SUCKA! I am waving my fingers at that SHIT!

He is the Grand Poo-Bah...

[-] 1 points by jimmycrackerson (940) from Blackfoot, ID 12 years ago

What a shame...

Seeing everyday how people are capitalizing on the anti-Capilatists. It is irony at its best, and hypocrisy at its worst. :)

[-] 0 points by fuzzyp (302) 12 years ago

This is actually hilarious because it shows the disorganization of this movement.

At least the tea partiers were organized. Take notes.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by powertothepeople (1264) 12 years ago

Yea and they had some organized rip-offs, too.

Tea Party Express / Sal Russo

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/hotflash/blogs?date=2011-01-01

[-] 1 points by fuzzyp (302) 12 years ago

I don't like their views but credit is due where it is deserved.

They changed something by voting people into office and seized control of the house.

OWS will not accomplish that.

I agree with some of their views. I didn't like the mean-spiritedness that came into play once the mainstream republicans and the right wing blogosphere co-opted them.

OWS is not trying to be a political movement but what they call a "social" movement, which might have the effect of stirring people who do want to organize politically to do so.

[-] 0 points by ronjj (-241) 12 years ago

Retoric like that of "golan" sure will stir some people. You sure got me going with remarks like those of "golum".

[-] -1 points by fuzzyp (302) 12 years ago

Their points and frustrations are economic though. Its bad to mix social and economic things, they're very separate. Social spectrum has to do with social liberty vs authoritarianism and economic liberty is capitalism vs communism. Both are spectrums so its not a dichotomy, I just said it that way to illustrate the polar ends of the spectrums.

This is most certainly a political movement btw. I don't know why you think it wouldn't be.

You will lose the Native American vote if I personally have to go hogan to hogan and house to house to let them know what is going on. SEE the golum post above and the racist remarks he made about them.

[-] 0 points by fuzzyp (302) 12 years ago

Idk what you're talking about but the Native American vote won't swing an election.

[-] -1 points by RockyJ (208) 12 years ago

Bosses? Leaders? OWS has no bosses or leaders so your Murdoch owned newspaper & Faux News so called breaking news DOES NOT work here or anywhere!

[-] -1 points by hopeflower (2) 12 years ago

ooo where do I sign up to sleep in those rooms, I am good for OWS because I have big tits

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by jimmycrackerson (940) from Blackfoot, ID 12 years ago

you probably wouldn't even be required to sign up, lol

[-] -1 points by golum (46) 12 years ago

This is coming from FOX NEWS. It's part of the BofA budget of giving 10's of MILLIONS to Madison Ave PR firms to demonize OWS.

That said, if you take a group of 100,000's of thousands and NO hotels near zuccotti that are cheap, your bound by statistics to find a few people who can afford to pay $700/night. But their NOT THE LEADERS, as OWS has NO leaders,

So the media is lying when they say the leaders are staying in $700/night hotels

The lies like this will continue, all along limbaugh has called OWS "trustafarians", ...

The media remember is owned by GE&WESTINGHOUSE aka mil-industrial-complex, the PR firms are being paid by wall-st banks ... everyone wants to KILL OWS, but you can't KILL an idea.

They want the couch potatoes in the USA watching TV to think that OWS is ran by fat-cats, ... expect anyday to be told we're being ran by SOROS or KOCH , ...

As you all know ANARCHISTS are ran by NO ONE but ourselves,

The trouble is NOBODY knows what real native american anarchism is-is

I suggest you all google "emma goldman" and read about the godness and learn about the real struggles as all the OWS rhetoric today has been played out before in 1914.

The trouble with Anarchism is that NO ONE knows who is running the show. Lends itself to exactly the kind of "follow the leader"ism that WE are seeing. This response sounds like a big conspiracy theory. Read the "Rules" lately Anarchist? Laughable. All I'm saying in, it ain't right that someone higher up in the food chain, so to speak, is eating caviar while the rest get dog food.

[-] 0 points by golum (46) 12 years ago

The problem with 'americanism' is nobody knows who running the show.

Is it the shadow-government?

Is it wall-street? Is it main-street? Is it the military?

The USA is ONE BIG LIE. THE MEDIA is owned by the military corporations, and beat the drum of war 24/7 to the uneducated masses.

Real native american anarchism has always been a solution to the problem of americanism.

All leaders tend to be power monsters,

The fascists long ago defined anarchism & anarchy as mobs rioting, because people don't care to think what it really means, all it means is free people living without controlled government of course, the people have to be essentially good people, and that is the problem, the majority of US citizens are assholes destroying the planet,

And we simply cannot even agree on who owns the media. To you it is one entity and to someone else it is another. You are all batting at flying flies and no one has a clue.

[Removed]

If you are a native american anarchism supporter, just one question, from what tribe??

And this site is not PR for the opposite purpose? I didn't go to Proctor and Gamble to find out what OWS is all about, I came here along with several other places.

I am begining to wonder about that second paragraph. More and more I am hearing about and being referenced to actual NAMES who appear to have either taken over or been recognized as Leaders.

A simple question, does every OWS member have to sign every check that dispenses that $500,000. You signed any lately golum?? Were you involved in deciding who would sign those checks??

"Native American Anarchism" is an ideology from late 1800's about the history of US anarchism, people who tried to design new forms of government free of government intrusion, libertarians. Native here means home grown. The 1890's were full of books about 'UPTOPIA' as people had become very disillusioned about factory jobs in the USA.

The factory owner of course hated all opposition to his rule and paid the media to portray anarchism as evil, the rest is history.

Go back to the 1890's and find books on 'Native american anarchism', and read and learn about history. No native american people ( injuns ) were harmed in manufacturing utopia's in the 1890's, as the Injun's had already been slaughtered by YOUR government.

My understanding is that the entire budget of OWS in the bank is $500k, but I don't pay attention to accounting.

Yes, all you have to do is attend an OWS meeting, or post on this site and you automatically become a 'leader', that makes you RON-JJ a leader of OWS. I'm going to call Rush now and tell him your our leader.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-American-Anarchism-Minette-Schuster/dp/1893626210

Ron since your a vociferous reader such as myself, I post above the link to the principal book on this subject, not fear my brother no Injun's were armed in manufacturing this classic.

Lastly, this book came out of Smith College in 1932, a feminist college of all place who held women like Emma Goldman in high regard, and had the audacity to belittle the rich and powerful. Argggggggggggggh

Ron you have the right stuff to be OUR leader. I anoint you to be the ONE.

Guy's like ron are exactly what need to run the OWS, we'll put them on the front line when we have to battle the Rush-Limbaugh right-wing army on the streets, when the smoke clears all our enemy's will be vanquished and we'll not have emitted a sweat.

You hypocrite. How dare you call or refer to an American Indian or a Native American in the term you used. You probably would use the "N" word to refer to an African American too.

If you are going to be at that meeting, I simply could not face you. Your are a prime example of a racist. I will have nothing to do with you.

SIGNED - A friend of a LOT of the Native Americans - you racist scum.

[-] -1 points by iandizion713 (-1) 12 years ago

got to sleep somewhere

[-] -2 points by powertothepeople (1264) 12 years ago

Spitzer, 24, an associate at financial-services giant Deloitte, which netted $29 billion in revenue last year, admitted he joined the protest at Zuccotti Park several times.

“I’m staying here for work,” said Spitzer, dressed down in a company T-shirt and holding a backpack and his suitcase. “I do finance, but I support it still.”

Peter Dutro:

He said he spent $500 of his own money to get the room because he wanted a good night’s rest ahead of the cause’s two-month ceremony the next day and raucous post-raid protests.

“I knew . . . there was a high probability of getting arrested,” he said. “I wanted a nice room. That’s OK. Not everybody there is dirt poor.”

He paid for the palace with his American Express card.

Contrast this with Republican NJ Governor Chris Christie who was known to have a taste for $400 a night rooms while in the employ of the US Dept of Justice. These rooms were paid for not with Christie's American Express card but by the taxpayers of the United States.

"Newly released travel records show that Chris Christie occasionally billed taxpayers more than $400 a night for stays in luxury hotels and exceeded the government's hotel allowance on 14 of 16 business trips he took in 2008.

"Generally, U.S. attorneys, assistant U.S. attorneys and all federal staff stay within the government rate," said Justice Department spokeswoman Melissa Schwartz. "The government rate is not a suggestion, it's a guideline.""

[-] 1 points by ronjj (-241) 12 years ago

BUT - get this information in an expanded version too, sometime, if you do not think that the guideline has differing standards for areas of the country, and status of the person. Obama and his staff are all government employees, do you really think that they are under this guideline. You would be amazed if you knew the truth.

SIGNED - a former government employee, who came under a guideline that made you stay at Motel 6 or pay the difference yourself.

[-] 3 points by powertothepeople (1264) 12 years ago

Yea, they should ALL stay at Motel 6 when the taxpayers are paying. Ridiculous.

[-] 0 points by Farleymowat (415) 12 years ago

Especially Michelle and Barack. No golf, no vacations with massive staff. No shutting down Marthas Vineyard, all on the publics dime.

Yea, it really annoys some people seeing those blacks do things that the rest of the elite do, I tell ya.

[-] 0 points by Farleymowat (415) 12 years ago

Awe, now you shouldn't assume everyone against him is racist.

Then why should we be mad "especially" at Michelle and Barack?

Because they're Democrats? That's almost as silly as being "especially" mad at them because of their race.

[-] 1 points by Farleymowat (415) 12 years ago

You are the one who said they should all stay at a motel 6. I was simply agreeing with your wise words.

Not BECAUSE they are Democrats or BECAUSE they are black...they just happen to be both. Who even cares about that crap, you apparently. Got a complex,much? All of these political Elites need to take what we entrust to them seriously, isn't that the point here. They aren't...Barack, Michelle, and Jesse Jackson, Jr. alike. ;)

Beyond Ridiculous - (with the original version in all caps-but the monitor said to get rid of them and I don't know how to emphasize my point any other way) - exactly.

Didn't see you bold the part about him being a "repeat" guest? How does he have THAT kind of cash? Shouldn't the rest be living the same lifestyle?

Spitzer? He works for Deloitte and he travels for business. That explains the "repeat guest" part.

Funny how quick dirty details get explained away when it fits the agenda.

LOL sometimes an explanation really is an explanation.

What part of "he works for Deloitte" don't you understand.

Oh, cuz we all know that Credit Card companies like AMEX are using their own money...right, right...they never got BAILED OUT by the tax-payers. Right...

Oh, but I thought "THEY PAID IT ALL BACK" as your Fox News sources will readily explain to you.

HA! You know that's BS, but it still doesn't dispel the correlation. I mean, the fact that he even has the cash to spring for $700/night (you know he is getting room service) as a "repeat guest" and that the others are doing their best to fight the cold stay safe from sexual predators, disease and police brutality....this jackwad is just sickening and exactly counter to what the movement stands for.

Oh, please, you are not in support of this movement or what you think it stands for so stop trolling. You fail.

What, because I won't blindly follow people who say one thing and do the opposite? If that makes me a failure, I am a flaming failure. The second this movement got co-opted by politicians, fat cats and technocrats it failed.

I've got some new chants for you...practice these for the morning, K:

"While Spitzer slept in Penthouse Suite, Girls were raped and boys were beat!!" "While Spitzer slept in Penthouse Suite, We slept on cots with shit to EAT!!" "While Spitzer slept in Penthouse Suite, We laid our heads where cops wipe feet!" "While Spitzer pissed in Penthouse Suite, We took crap in the street!!"

That last one is free of charge. This about what I'm saying there, powertothepeople. If your commanders don't "get it" your ground troops will eventually mutiny and destroy the movement from within. Take it or leave it, don't make me none.

[-] 2 points by powertothepeople (1264) 12 years ago

What part of "he works for Deloitte" don't you understand.

And you cons with your rape fetish and shit & piss fetish disgust me.

I was just talking about people like you, and how it is hateful people like you who are making the others look bad. Someone is swearing to me up and down that you are all peace-loving Americans just wanting to make shit (oh, excuse me) STUFF right. Looks like the wackos will continue to ruin it for the rest...