Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: What is the OWS plan for a new 24/7 location?

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 19, 2011, 2:29 p.m. EST by TrevorMnemonic (5827)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I think the 24/7 protest is awesome. It points out the massive level of income inequality just like Hoovervilles did, as someone on this site brought to my attention a while back. It's a huge message. Why do you think Fox News and many people who oppose keeps calling them filth? It's pointing out the massive level of inequality and the fact that a lot of our society is turning into a caste system like in India. This is America. We are not supposed to be a bigoted nation. I thought we overcame that after the 60's during the civil rights movement. This is about the elite money masters. To the opposition, don't make it like a civil rights movement through hatred and bigotry. You're better than that. I believe you can be better. Stop the hate. Disagree with logic, not name calling.

Every official that comes in, is crippling us, leaving us maimed, hoping we stay silent and tame, and with the flesh and bones of war they build their homes.

OWS is not anticorporation and anti-banks. It is against corporations that abuse their power and are infiltrating our government. It is against the abuse of the monetary system that the federal reserve is responsible for. We have a debt based privatized monetary system that is not in the constitution. The abuse of Wall Street, the federal reserve, and the government has caused our US dollar to decrease in value drastically over the past 14 years.

15 Comments

15 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by monjon22 (508) 12 years ago

Plan for a new location? Spring is almost here -- really, it is only 4 short months away. By next summer OWS will have millions of additional supporters (which is why Wall Street is planning to hire lobbyists to fight it). By next summer there will be thousands and thousands of Zuccotti Parks all over the United States. And it's an election year.

Ain't we got fun.

[-] 1 points by flang23 (47) 12 years ago

I've posted this before but I think maybe a 24/7 location isn't a great idea. Too easily monitored. But having said that I like East River Park as a possibility. It is close to the financial district, it is close to the Brooklyn & Williamsburg bridges, it has a few areas like the band shell and the basin which are easily identifiable areas where people can meet, it has a very large bike path that runs from the tip of Manhattan all the way up to 15th street, is not easily accessible for cars. Downside is that it is not easy to get to via mass transit.

[-] 1 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

Why not Zuccotti Square? It's close to Wall Street which is the target. Why wait until Spring? Christmas Eve would be a great night to re-occupy Zuccotti Square with sleeping bags and tents. Let the Scrooges show their true face and arrest us on Christmas Eve! Peace on Earth, good will to men!

[-] 1 points by JoeTheFarmer (2654) 12 years ago

Just my opinion.

1. During the Hooverville years the unemployment rate was 21%.
  2. We currenlty have 9% which means that 91% are employed.
  3. There is no cast system here.
  4. The US has the highest average and median income of any country on the planet.
  5. Hating the 1% is just as bigoted and hating any other group.

I do agree with your last paragraph.

[-] 2 points by monjon22 (508) 12 years ago

We have a very strong economic based caste system here in America. Our politicians are put into office with corporate dollars. The laws they pass are slanted to further enrich the richest of the rich. There is absolutely no incentive under our political system for a politician to pay attention to the desires of the people.

No one hates the rich for being rich. The majority of them are hated because they are corrupt and use their money to control politicians who tip the playing field in their favor.

The economic disparity is a major issue here. It matters not that the median and average income is high. There are millions of people who are going without basic necessities and the standard of living for middle America is on a downhill slide while at the same time the very rich are getting ever richer.

[-] 2 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 12 years ago

I don't hate the 1%. I have a problem with how the .0000001% are running our country. the 99% message is trying to point out the level of inequality. No one hates rich people. They just don't like those that abuse the system because often times the rich take advantage of the poor. "Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." - Thomas Jefferson

Our unemployment rate is a fraud. It only considers people on unemployment benefits and unemployment doesn't cover everyone who is actually unemployed. Our actual unemployment rate that factors in all those who are unemployed is estimated to be 22%. Google it.

The US has the highest average and median income of any country on the planet.

[-] 1 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 12 years ago

No, it doesn't. There are a few countries on a higher scale on income, education, and social economics.

America is better in comparison to a lot of other countries. No doubt about that. Which is why you see people protesting instead of killing people like they do in other countries with horrible shit going down, like in Somalia.

Just because we aren't as bad as somalia doesn't mean people don't have the right to protest. The fact is our US dollar is failing because of Wall Street, the federal reserve, and the government.

US has the highest average and ties Luxemborg for the highest median.

And yes we do have a right to protest. We do not have a right to infinge on others freedom to move about.

90% of Americans make that amount or much less. Think about that.

30 grand does not include the 22% of the unemployed.

30 grand aint shit when your dollars value drops 40% over the past 14 years on most products that americans need to to exist in our societies. Food, gas, all that shit keeps going up.

many of the .000000001% of people are making billions through fraud and through infiltrating our government. Annually.

Not to mention through investors, some corporate financing should be heavily outlawed because a lot of corporations have foreign investors and then these corps make donations to our government and help draft legislation in some cases.

That is why I volunteer for the local food pantry, lead the cub scouts pack, and coach soccer. That I had the kids volunteer for "America's Grow a Row" The group has donated over a million pounds of food.

I feel that is the real way to make a difference. I believe the people will always do a better job helping each other than the government will.

The great thing about grow a row is that you donate time and not money. You don't have to be wealthy to help others.

http://americasgrowarow.org/

There are many other ways to help.

that's awesome! Giving back to the community is great! I have been trying to get more involved lately myself. I recently donated a large some of work to making a video for a foundation here in my state that helps young people realize their potential and build character. The video was shown at their fundraiser to help them get contributions to continue their charitable mission.

back to what we were discussing before. Do not forget that most other nations ARE MUCH MORE CORRUPT than the United States of America. Some on a freakish level in comparison.

Still doesn't mean our system isn't corrupt. It just means we don't have dictators that kill our people. Even though people have been killed for protesting in our past on small levels. Large levels during the civil rights movements. America is not perfect. I love my country but nothing is perfect. All we can do is try and make it better.

[-] 1 points by Courtney (111) from New York, NY 12 years ago

The level of inequality is at almost the same level as it was in 1929.
Employment is just one measure of social ill--there is also poverty, which has risen sharply in the last few years. One in five people in this country are food-insecure, meaning they don't make enough money to put food on the table on a regular basis. There are many, many, more who are considered "working poor," which in my opinion should not exist anywhere in the world. There is enough to go around. I disagree with the argument that poverty exists somewhere else, in the third world, but not here. It's the same thing, over here or over there, and will only get worse if we continue with things the way they are now.

That is why I volunteer for the local food pantry, lead the cub scouts pack, and coach soccer. That I had the kids volunteer for "America's Grow a Row" The group has donated over a million pounds of food.

I feel that is the real way to make a difference. I believe the people will always do a better job helping each other than the government will.

The great thing about grow a row is that you donate time and not money. You don't have to be wealthy to help others.

http://americasgrowarow.org/

There are many other ways to help.

[-] 1 points by ciavlad (85) 12 years ago

Do you want to get rid of cunning people !? Vote petition on the Internet : http://wh.gov/jkl