Posted 2 years ago on Sept. 28, 2011, 10:52 a.m. EST by roz
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Tips for Wall Street Protesters from Veteran Street Protesters
- If your protest becomes a protest against the police you have lost your cause. You are not protesting the police, you are protesting the financial industry's abuse of the American economy.
- Few cops are interested in violating your civil rights. They might even feel like you do. Try to cooperate with them.
- Restrain protesters who are abusing cops.
- If police split the crowd with barricades or horses MOVE but reassemble again nearby. If they try to move you completely away from your place of protest, sit down and get arrested peacefully and without resistance. Don't sit down in front of horses.
- Sometimes provocateurs are hired by the people you are protesting or even by law enforcement to incite the crowd to violence so you look bad. Keep an eye out for anyone trying to rile the crowd and call them out on what they are doing.
- Keep the focus on the Wall Street crooks, not on your own sense of outrage.
- You have a right to freedom of assembly and free speech, not an invitation to act like an ass in public. Keep your clothes on and your language clean.
- Slow and steady wins the race.