Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: The truth about the 99%, the 1% and the 100%: If you're an OCCUPY WALL STREET SUPPORTER, you'll want to READ THIS

Posted 12 years ago on Jan. 27, 2012, 1 a.m. EST by therising (6643)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

It's easy to vilify members of the 1%. One could make a case that the worst of them are dispicable characters who think only of their own interests and exploit the weak carelessly.

The truth is, though, that the 1% are just as much victims of corporatism and materialism as we, the 99%, are. Corporatism and materialism have hijacked our imagination during the day and our dreams at night. All 100% of us. The only difference between us and the 1% is they think they're winning and they have fancier toys. In a way, we the 99% are luckier because we have no illusions that this system is benefitting us.

So the next time you encounter a particularly dispicable member of the 1%, have compassion for him or her. Despite this person's snazzy outfit and slick ride, they're a mortal being just like yourself and they're far more lost in life, much further away from the truth. Help them. For once they stop suffering under the delusion of materialism, their clumsy Ugg booted foot will be slowly removed from our collective neck.

It's happening. The sun is rising on America. People of all walks of life, all ages, all backgrounds, all races, all income levels are rising up above the lie of corporatism and materialism.

To paraphrase James Baldwin, these freshly awakened beings are seeing the light in the eyes of others, the only light there is in this world. It is always there, waiting to be found.

9 Comments

9 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

Humanity is rising like the sun through the morning clouds.

[-] 1 points by TedIV (40) 12 years ago

I agree up to the we have no illusions yes true but they are in that world so they do not see it that good cause now my opinion it is working for them.some are seeing it and the illusion does not have a good grasp on them...there are republicans who are true and do back Obama and OWS...and not recognizing this in a righteous manner can be damaging...just like there are wealthy who see, and are in the fight. when raised in the lie and that is all u know then falsely U go!!! and not knowing it..u believe the lie is the truth....

To really fix this, we need to hit the system from the inside and from the outside simultaneously.

Humanity is rising. It's gotta be the 100%, not just the 99%.

[-] 0 points by owsinlove (83) 12 years ago

I think Romney will bring back 1950 America.

There were some beautiful parts to the 1950's. Unfortunately there were also some horrible parts which far outweighed the good. Let's not go back. Let's go forward. Let's build a new country based on the original intend of our nation's founders (minus the parts they were wrong about of course :)

[-] 0 points by owsinlove (83) 12 years ago

Just a little humor, I personally think Many things have gotten better, some social things worse some better. The culture has been a struggle, hopefully love will win out and our society will get over this selfish teenage phase.

I like the way you put that. :). I agree. This petulant teenage phase is becoming a bore with its arrogance and self-indulgent self-destructiveness.

[-] -1 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

I'm eager to see the occupy movement rise as the election approaches...