Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: The Carpenter January 1919

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 27, 2011, 11:03 p.m. EST by BuddMcKillips (0)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I've worked late at night on your garments,
I've gathered the grain for your bread,

I've built the fine house that you live in,
I've printed the books you have read.

I've linked two great oceans together,
I've spanned your rivers with steel,

I've built your towering skyscrapers,
And also your automobiles.

Wherever there's progress you'll find me.

Without me the world could not live, And yet you would seek to destroy me,

With the meager pittance you give.

I am master of field and of factory,
I am mighty and you are but few,

No longer I'll bow in submission;
I am Labor and ask for my due.

—By Budd McKillips.

27 Comments

27 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by MitchK (305) 12 years ago

Labor you are entitled to your FAIR due....key word FAIR,,,,thats does not mean you are entitled to the same as the people who put up the money(s) to get your work started or exuberant rates..Would you like to be part of the profits???That can and should be arranged as long as you are also willing to part of the upfront risks,back end risk,the costs,the losses as well. I thank you labor I need you labor I adore you labor but sometimes your way out of line,hell I can get someone out of work,some foreigner to do it for less than you and the same quality. FAIRNESS is all I ask of you labor...not 36.20 dollars plus plus plus to change a lightbulb( example only its IBEW scale for electricians not including benefits total package is 67.43 this is for outside work/construction..yes that includes lightbulbs in traffic lights and such) I do it in my house for free .

[-] 1 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

Do you have any idea how much it costs to maintain an electricians license?

then there's the price of gas

which impacts the cost of food

and the cost to work

and to heat

and keep the kids in shoes

not to mention the cost of health care . . .

If the electrician can't eat, keep his kids shod, and set aside for retirement, there's a problem.

hmmmm zen I MIGHT know alittle more than you think.BTW it depends on state but averages 80.00..lets forget the electrician for now...hows about a person gooing to cooks eggs in a diner? Basedon what you are saying HE should get the same thing...well he has topay for gas,food,kids in shoes,health care, etc...that has nothing to do with the CHARGE for your "labor" everyone has to pay those things thats should not be what determines whats a FAIR price to pay my beloved labor

what - the cook has less invested in the cost to labor so he gets paid less?

well . . . under the current paradigm that is how it works

and it doesn't change the fact, you want your eggs cooked, and the cook wants to be able to retire one day, without starving the kids in the process.

but he can't find a decent place to live cuz the landlords all charge too much so when he goes to work he isn't thinking about your eggs and how you want them cooked -

and he doesn't care if you put them in your mouth, or in your pocket. All he cares about is how's he gonna feed the kids.

this situation will not continue.

yeah it will continue guess what there will always be someone willing to work to meet their needs and only that. Not be overindulgent pigs about things. Ill say it again and again....what most people get paid there is someone willing to do it for less and than ones for moe..so it will continue,wait we have foreigners come here to work for less than MOST americans and they are happy cause its better than what they were getting in their countrys americans do that most americans HELL NO

[-] 1 points by Edgewaters (912) 12 years ago

yeah it will continue guess what there will always be someone willing to work to meet their needs and only that.

That isn't going to fly for long, it won't continue. People who work hard want to be able to get ahead a bit, to have a decent existance, to aspire to things like owning a home or paying for their kid's education. They're not going to be satisfied with just a lump of oatmeal, like Maoist slaves in the China of 50 years ago. Asking them to continue to accept that forever, down that road lies disaster.

your wrong ...all those immigrants tha go thru hell to get here will tell you that...S**T people like me whos been hear all my life...Ill do it less tha for certain jobs...as long as my NEEDS are met...not my GREEDS.

[-] 1 points by Edgewaters (912) 12 years ago

Yeah let's just wait til all we get is a bowl of rice a day and the middle class who actually keep the economy going by keeping consumer markets alive, is just GONE. Recipe for big economic success there, we could probably aspire to be as succesful as, say, Somalia. All those immigrants won't even bother to come anymore, it'll be better back home - immigration problem solved!

so I can put you down as being in favor of immigration reform and amnesty for illegal aliens who have broken no other laws?

Thanks . . .

No really no but its still the truth...Hey i have not worked since 2008 and guess what its not that there are no jobs its the fact I THINK i am to good ,like MOST americans, to do what they are offering me for what they are paying.truth is the money is fine on most the jobs my bills & expenses would be paid and maybe even a little fun money for whatever (hopefully savings if I was smart that I am not) I just think LIKE MOST OF US that that salary is NOT FAIR 9fair enough for me)...lol

careful - I think your mask is slippin

well see what I mean fair for me is not always fair for another...fair does not mean enough to live above your means,is it nice to yes,does my pride ,ego and greed want to yes DAMN sure...thats all I mean when I said fair..fair should be looked at upon the job itself,thats just my opinion though. I see solutions for that as well what I CONSIDER fair.

[-] 1 points by AFarewellToKings (1486) 12 years ago

I'd change 'ask for' to 'take'. Thx Budd

[-] 2 points by PandoraK (1678) 12 years ago

I don't think a change from 'ask for' to 'take' would allow this to say what it is intended to say.

Ask for my due...indicates an awareness of a debt owed to Labor on the part of both parties. Changing it to take would only indicate an awareness of a perceived debt on the part of Labor with no acknowledgement of the debt from the second party.

It's a literary thing.

[-] 0 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

And you had companies like this doing a masterful job of fucking you!

http://occupywallst.org/forum/something-to-think-about-part-3-toshiba-hates-mino/

The Revolution starts here!

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

C'mon Stuart.

[-] 1 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

If I was going just by that commercial, I'd say it's bullshit too. But I've dealt with the people at Toshiba personally, and I know had the advertisment process works. This was not an accident.

Look, now, I am not a Toshiba fan either. Ok? And I've read your posts on it. But, not every other post revolves around your number one issue. You need to let other people have there space.

Everytime a complain about my issue on other posts, their issue gets center stage, while there, my issue is in the background at best. This stupid computer has survived through deceit and merging with or aquiring other companies. In 2006, they managed to get involved in nuclear power. If they can't be trusted to build a stupid computer or honor a warranty, who the hell would trust them to have any involvement in nuclear technology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba

wow stuart that sounds just like OWS movement...their issue is no longer the vocal point anymore either.One day tutions,one day animals,one day capitolism,one day war,one day communism,one day...who the hell even remembers what we were here for,well I know this it was not for warranty issues with toshiba. Good luck with your pursuit stuart, I truly wish you the best, As I do the once good argument for america changing the problem within todays govt and laws.

You're an idiot. This is how you lose your freedoms, this is how the free market gets corrupted. It's not done with giant moves, but subtle actions over time. Little by little, the cage around you is built. By the time you realize it, it's too late.

stuart what does these abreaviations mean to you: egtrra/jgtrra? here inlies the start of this movement. Look it up figure it out study it read it investigate it form your OWN opinions and ideas on it,debate it for OR against it...but if you do not even know what it is you and others should not be here,voicing on something for the 100%. Once you read it TRY to think how to change it fairly for ALL 100% not 99 or 1 and at the same time keep it fair monetarly for the countrys system.BTW try to do it in a fashion that in 10 years from now we do not turn around and again say ooops its his/there fault.

[-] 2 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

When I ask people to do something, I give them direct links to evidence and I tell them what their looking up, or my statement is short and sweet and they have a link to go to. You have done neither.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/something-to-think-about-part-3-toshiba-hates-mino/

The Revolution starts here!

Well why should I if you are here to protest voice your opinion on an issue raised by the american people and OWS and want to understand it and help or not than YOU should find out what it is and why,I should not do the work for you....I will tell you this the terms "corruption in govt by corporation/rich/1%" all come from this issue "corporates robbing the american people" "rich egtting treated better by govt". Do you not want to see what that about before voicing on it??????????????? Well nows your chaance I gave yo a lead not investigate...if I cared about your toshiba stuff I would investigate before speaking on THAT ISSUE, I would not take your word,links ,views on it..Investigate and form MY OWN opinions form my head and heart than try to come up with devcies to change it by vicing that in protests.letters,pettitions and votes.Stuart furthermore please do not take this as I am degrading or beliitling your issue at all.

The best way for you to have a level playing field is to not give the government any money and do the same for the rich. The Government relies on people's dependence for power, and the rich depend on the folks for money and power. Don't give it to them.

So, then you do it back to them. :/

And the problem with that approach is that over time people have figured out how to block out similar posts and then it will get lost or ignored as a matter of course.

Whom do I do things back to?