Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: The Biggest OWS Story To Date: 650,000 leave banks for credit unions.

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 7, 2011, 8:26 a.m. EST by Spankysmojo (849)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I said it before and I have to say it again. The only way to get these guys is where they breath...their money. Yesterday it was all over the news that people are sick of the banks and have made a move that was heard loud and clear. The masses pulled their cash and the banks pulled their fee. It is a great beginning. There needs to be a harder push in that direction. Spread like a viral wildfire. Get your money out of the banks. Even some responders on this forum lost control when they saw that coming. That's how you know it's working. Stay focused, stay strong and stay warm.

btw- haters-I've learned to leave you in the lurch now. So if you plan to respond with something hateful, let me preempt that; I will not respond to you. I'm not against opposition, just the kind that lost control.

37 Comments

37 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by Skoalman (56) 12 years ago

I've almost always had a credit union. Not because I hate banks, but with my job I get free checking, free debit card, no extra fees but I never overdraft so not sure about that.

You know what DOES suck about a fairly small local credit union? With places like BOA or Suntrust that are nationwide it's a lot cheaper to bank then using a local anything. Try traveling with a local. That's fact. Not every place is fee free for my ATM debit card, but I don't have a problem finding a BOA when I have to travel.

I won't be dumping my BOA account anytime soon, but I won't be using my local credit union much when I have to travel around either.

[-] 1 points by LiveAndLetLive (79) from Fort Lauderdale, FL 12 years ago

Lets not take credit for somebody else's success, else we are no diffrent then the politicians we are accusing:

This is the exact quote on their official site: "The event was created by Kristen Christian, a private citizen and small business owner with no affiliations to Anonymous or Occupy Wall Street"

[-] 0 points by Spankysmojo (849) 12 years ago

I stand corrected and do not seek credit just results. If we can spread the message now via OWS then more power.

[-] 1 points by Joyce (375) 12 years ago

Link? Second try after voted off.

[-] 1 points by TheCloser (200) 12 years ago

The Big Banks don't do enough good in the world to justify their powerful influence. Justice will be served when BofA and Merrill Lynch are trading at $0

MOVE YOUR MONEY AWAY FROM THE CROOKS

Amen! When they stop trading altogether and fold and sell their assets to the credit unions at a discount. That will be sweet success.

[-] 1 points by metoo (18) 12 years ago

I only withdrew $99 from my account to show support for OWS and so did others that I know. You should have seen the teller's face. I did this to make a statement, and hopefully, get their attention...a warning of sorts that I will withdraw and transfer the rest of my money...checking, savings and IRA at my leisure. She looked amazed and bewildered. I have never had a check processed so quick. She did it so fast, I do not know if she looked at my ID or not.

Bewildered, they looked at the fleeting wealth and cried and cried with no sleep.

[-] 0 points by MeMyselfandI (85) 12 years ago

LOL! She was so bewildered you gave you your check quickly. I think she sent you a message. Goodbye and Good Riddance.

Actually, the tellers at BA are always nice. I have been their customer for years. But, I have to agree that the bank was probably trying to process checks quicker than usual; so, people would not be waiting and congregating in line to help prevent a mob scene while they were transferring their money.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 12 years ago

Only 299,000,000 to go.

Seriously, the great (read very very bad) depression started when people feared losing everything, and took their cash from the banks.

That said, if inflation keeps hitting peaks, as it will when money gets printed to prop a failing financial system, your dollars won't be worth much anyways.

Do what the Vatican does, and invest in solid products, like gold and silver, lead and copper.

Any marketable metal, really. Not uranium, tho. Mite raise some eyebrows buying that one. ;-)

You have good points. I am not advocating no banks. I'm saying take money from the big banks and move to small credit unions.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 12 years ago

Aaah, but at this point in time, with the current laws in favour of the captains of capitalism, to sustain the economy they have created, and the system relies upon, your admin will be forced to provide further bail-out capital, and the Fed Reserve will simply print more money to provide that bail-out capital.

Inflation will continue to hit new peaks, and regardless of where your cash is held, the purchasing value of your money will decrease.

Follow the lead of the leaders, and invest in something tangible. Real estate is not what I'm talking about here. That too will crash.

Solid product, dug from the ground. Avoid gems, and stick with gold and silver. Copper is also in short supply globally, as is pure lead.

[-] 1 points by randart (498) 12 years ago

I have said it before and I will say it again, we need a national "people's" credit union. It has to be non-profit so any money that is made through loans can be lent out to members at a reasonable rate. The PCU could begin buying up foreclosed homes at cheap rates and have a lease to own option for members. It could also offer micro loans to members in the same way it is already being done for people in third world countries.

We need a credit union for people who are tired of big banks.

I think I like the idea but don't know enough about it or how to make it happen. But remember that all credit unions are for people who are tired of big banks. Small may be the answer. Big is hard to control and monitor. And big can one day be referred to as 'too big to fail'. Still you are on track.

[-] 0 points by AntiCorp (187) 12 years ago

have all the OWS kiddies checked with their parents before moving the accounts Mommy and Daddy set-up for them?

[-] 0 points by audiman (90) 12 years ago

Yup, a zillion young folks have left the terrible banks for the credit unions! Great news! And they probably took a grand total of $8,000 with them. That will wipe out Wells Fargo! Holy crap! That will show them!

[-] 1 points by superman22x (188) 12 years ago

I pulled a $5 bill out of Wells Fargo, wiped my butt with it and sent it to you! You rich dog you!

[-] 1 points by audiman (90) 12 years ago

I'm not a rich dog. Joined the Navy at an early age, got a fed job because of it. worked all my life. Retired. Got another little job right away. I'm still working. Most Americans are working. Even in 1929-1933 75% of Americans were working. I would rather work than live in a tent.

[-] 2 points by Someguyfromwis (41) 12 years ago

Its sad that u live in a society where u can even be made to feel right to enjoy a retirement. U served your country. Worked all your life...sad. but that's ok...im sure the people that traded billions of dollars of other peoples retirement away and don't feel a damn thing could care less about you. At least we do. So do me a favour. Talk to a person who believes that thinking of the person next to you and their future or their needs is just a big fat waste of time. Then would u sleep in a tent if it meant making a point?

OK but I would not sleep in a tent. I would just come back the next day and protest like we did against the war in 1969. And I would also take a few hours of my day and apply for jobs and then go and protest.

[-] 2 points by superman22x (188) 12 years ago

So would lots of people. It's hard to find a job. And if you deny that, you are living in a shell.

You can't take the unemployment numbers given out by gov't either as the actual unemployment. They only count those still on unemployment and actively seeking a job. Those that aren't seeking a job are not included. Those that have reached the limit, are not included. The actual unemployment is much higher than reported by our dandy Gov't.

Like I said, in LA area there is gridlock every morning because folks are going to jobs.

My point is that there are jobs out there. Places like Target and Wal-Mart, Home Depot. They do not pay a lot. But there are jobs. I am older and if I lost my job I could find another pretty quick. Or I could detail cars or cut lawns. I charge $75 a car detail. Even if you work in fast food, if you do a really great job, they will move you to a better paying job. Been there, done that.

I know gridlock, I live near Chicago. That doesn't mean there aren't people not going to jobs.

Yes, but when you are used to supporting your family off a decent salary, and unemployment is much better than a minimum wage job, you can't afford to take that type of job. And in any case, you are often overqualified for such jobs.

You drive an Audi, I guess I can see why you have formed your opinions as they are...

I understand that unemployment is much better than a min wage job but it comes with a price. After the 99 weeks of getting benifits it looks to a business that you are not a mover or a worker or trying very hard. During the 30's folks would pack up thier familys and move to another state to find work. Now folks just have the Gov pay them. If I were a boss I would pass on those folks also. I would look for motivated people who want to work. Who will do anything. Just the way it is if you are a boss. Think about that. You probably would too. Come on....it is a very old Audi. (made by VW)

I get what you are saying, but it's not possible to support a family that way. And say you loose that minimum wage job, then you are really screwed. We pay unemployment all the years we work, it's ok to use it for the year if need be. Those that mooch forever are a completely different story.

I'll give you a break if it's an older Audi... They're all VW though.

I know times are hard. And we do pay into unemployment. But it is not forever. All of the big States are really broke. All big cities have no money. 15 Trillion is owed to the Federal Gov! All I can say is that it is a dog eat dog world and if you find a job you have to be the best of the best. If you are, you will do well. Try to sell Kia cars or Hundi cars. They are selling well and are made in America. I detail cars when the weather is good. $75.00 a car. Wash, wax, vacuum and tire shine. I only do late model cars. Old cars will never look good. You could do mobil oil change. Mobil car wash. Do lawns, clean out storage sheds. Tons of stuff on top of benifits. Cut TV cable, quit the paper, buy your own water. Get a regular cell phone. Will save you a bunch! I wish you well.

[-] 0 points by JohnnyO (119) 12 years ago

Johnny O's pawn services. 1st and West. Good rates!

[-] -1 points by MeMyselfandI (85) 12 years ago

I wonder how the banks will survive the loss of $650,001 .

Wait, who is the guy who had $2 in the bank!!! He better share with the rest of you!

Do correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Spankysmojo meant 650,000 people, not dollars. From the news reports, at least one church withdrew 3 Million from BA because they had a press conference and said they supported OWS...I bet that hurt.

I'd like to see some proof that that church story.

Read the paper!

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you could actually provide some proof that they actually moved the money. I saw the article a few weeks ago that discussed they were considering moving it, just haven't heard that they actually did.

Didn't mean to sound nasty. Don't want to blow you off but it's out there. All over the news.

Enough to take back the fee...with lots of grunts and indigestion.