Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Support the Boat Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Posted 12 years ago on March 23, 2012, 7:20 p.m. EST by darrenlobo (204)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Total outstanding boat loan debt in America is expected to exceed $1 TRILLION this year. Millions of hardworking, taxpaying, educated Americans are being crushed under the weight of their boat debts, while the economy continues to sputter. Support a REAL economic stimulus and jobs plan. Support the Boat Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 (H.R. 4170B). Since 1980, average cost for a yacht has increased an astounding 827%. Since 1999, average boat loan debt has increased by a shameful 511%.

In 2010, total outstanding boat loan debt exceeded total outstanding credit card debt in America for the first time ever. In 2012, total outstanding boat loan debt is expected to exceed $1 Trillion.

In short, boat loan debt has become the latest financial crisis in America and, if we do absolutely nothing, the entire economy will eventually come crashing down again, just as it did when the housing bubble popped. Reasonable minds can disagree as to the solutions, they cannot, however, disagree on the existence of this ever-growing crisis, as well as the unsustainable course we're on towards financial oblivion.

As a result of more than 30 years of treating yachting as an individual commodity, rather than a public good and an investment in our collective future, those buried under the weight of their boat loan debt are not buying homes or cars, not starting businesses or families, and they're not investing, inventing, innovating or otherwise engaged in any of the economically stimulative activities that we need all Americans to be engaged in if we're ever to dig ourselves out of the giant hole created by the greed of those at the very top.

http://signon.org/sign/support-the-boat-loan.fb1?source=c.fb&r_by=3693734

25 Comments

25 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

Debt jubilee!!

[-] 1 points by darrenlobo (204) 12 years ago

You guys that are flagging this are seriously humor challenged. Lighten up.

[-] 1 points by francismjenkins (3713) 12 years ago

Student loan forgiveness petition:

http://signon.org/sign/want-a-real-economic

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

are we supposed to respect the loaner economy

[-] 1 points by francismjenkins (3713) 12 years ago

Ha ha ... very funny.

[-] 1 points by Blank102 (86) from American Canyon, CA 12 years ago

Okay, why not?

[-] 0 points by groupthink (12) 12 years ago

Hilarious. Maybe we could have something more general like the: "Default And It Becomes Yours Fairness Act".

[-] 0 points by darrenlobo (204) 12 years ago

I think you're on to something. I'll think about it while I'm on my yacht drinking Dom Perignon & eating caviar. OK, let's change it to "I Default And It Becomes Up Yours Sideways Act"

[-] -1 points by groupthink (12) 12 years ago

Of course. Like any OWSer will tell you, default just underscores the greed of the lender, not our own irresponsibility. Default becomes evidence of the lenders' badness which then justifyies us keeping what we bought with the money.

[+] -4 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

I flagged the petition as offensive seemed to be the only appropriate choice. I could be mistaken though.

[-] 1 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

It's a troll post but creative satire. I think its good for thinking about all the elements involved in what public policies we should be looking at. I'm not offended. Obviously, no one should sign this petition.

[+] -5 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

There are those who will, there are those who have, there are like five or more signatures on it.

[-] 3 points by francismjenkins (3713) 12 years ago

Dude, I signed it without even reading the post (I thought it was a student loan petition). Joke's on me, and fuck the OP. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to un-sign.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I only read it because I thought it was referring to business vessels, like shrimp boats, ect.

It's ok. You'd need hundreds of signatures for it to matter.

You can still flag it. We live and learn to be careful.

Takes but a moment to flag. click the link, near the top Right corner of the page will be a link to click to flag the petition.

[-] 2 points by francismjenkins (3713) 12 years ago

I did flag it for removal ... left the OP a private message. He's some libertarian ass hole, just trying to spam this site (ponying some libertarian web site in his profile).

Expect all kinds of attacks. From the normal lame ones to the tricky ones used to discredit.

[-] 2 points by francismjenkins (3713) 12 years ago

Yeah, not a big deal anyway. I mean, it's MoveOn.org's petition site (so I'm not concerned, this is a silly petition that might trick a dozen people, but that's about it, so no one will pay attention to it).

Does not hurt to flag. People have already made mistakes and signed it. It is also an abuse of petitioning.

just sayin.

Someone else also cares because they have been voting down the warning instruction I put out.

I stand corrected.

Seriously?! People. It's a joke!!

[+] -4 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Takes but a moment to flag. click the link, near the top Right corner of the page will be a link to click to flag the petition.

[-] 2 points by RedSkyMorning (220) 12 years ago

Ok, done and done.

Spread the word some troll is already voting down my warning instruction.

Thanks.

Ok, you're back up voted.

Thank you. It is such a silly notion ( the petition ) that no one would likely consider it more than a joke. But it is an abuse of the petitioning process and an attempt to discredit.