Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Say no to Democrats and Republicans in 2012

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 27, 2011, 6:28 a.m. EST by ConcernedLibertarian (3)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

If you want real change, then you must not keep on voting for the same two parties that keep on giving us the same crap.

There are third parties out there.

And don't go around saying that all one is doing is "throwing away your vote", or "picking the least of two evils". If we get enough people to "throw away our votes" we could actually have real change.

10 Comments

10 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by FrogWithWings (1367) 12 years ago

Mr Paul will restore The Constitution for the United States of America, abolish all unconstitutional federal acts, withdraw us from the UN.

This will cure all that ails this nation and restore it's Sovereignty as originally intended when the first Constitution was crafted.

[-] 1 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

George Washington: "Let me now take a more comprehensive view, & warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the Spirit of Party, generally." http://home.ptd.net/~aahpat/aandc/gw.htm

"They serve to Organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force--to put in the place of the delegated will of the Nation, the will of a party; often a small but artful and enterprizing minority of the Community; and, according to the alternate triumphs of different parties, to make the public Administration the Mirror of the ill concerted and incongruous projects of faction, rather than the Organ of consistent and wholesome plans digested by common councils and modefied by mutual interests. However combinations or Associations of the above description may now & then answer popular ends, they are likely, in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the Power of the People, & to usurp for themselves the reins of Government; destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

I have already intimated to you the danger of Parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on Geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, & warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the Spirit of Party, generally.

This Spirit, unfortunately, is inseperable from our nature, having its root... "

[-] 1 points by CrystalP (79) 12 years ago

A third party system will be no more productive than a two party system, that is not true choice it is limited in scope and vision. The president is not the main problem,we are. If you think in terms of business structure, the president is the manager and we are the CEO's that have been golfing for generations. We have to fire all the managers and take back control of the country as is our right, given to us by the founding fathers in the Declaration of Independence-"to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

While I am an Independent who does not believe in any party structure I could see a third party being viable if it were not motivated by narrow special interests like the Green Party or bat-shit crazy predators like the Libertarian Party.

I learned long ago that voting for anyone in the two parties will result in my feeling bad about having voted for some right-wing butt hole who hates me for my social justice values. And I came to the realization therefore that I lose no matter who in the two parties I vote for. So I stopped expecting to vote for 'a winner'. I vote for my social justice values because it is more important to me to feel that I have done the right thing rather than being part of the herd beasts and sycophants who vote whatever the alpha leaders of the party dictate.

The reason that the right-wing have gained the power they have in America is because they manipulate people through their values. While the Democrats have been telling people to compromise their values for a win. The Democratic strategy has been failing and so in 2008 Obama came along with a false assertion of social justice values that he used to manipulate Americans of good will. That con game only works once. The disillusionment and disaffection caused by Obama's bullshit is, I believe, a big part of what incited the OWS into existence.

Voting third party and Independent in the past has not produced winners because the two parties collude against them. In part with loser propaganda like that of 'justcause'.

But there is a difference with OWS. years ago the Democrats depended on young dedicated activists like the folks of OWS to get out the vote and be the foot soldiers of the election process. From Clinton forward the Democrats have abandoned these folks instead turning to the right and depending on "moderates" resulting in the Democrats having a harder and harder time winning because they so disaffected their social justice activist base.

OWS IS therefore already a political entity within the American democratic body politic. We are what used to be the activist base of the Democrats and gave them the winning margin in elections.

The Democrats abandoned this social justice core and do not deserve to get it back now. The Democratic leadership is too much a part of the problem in America today to be any part of the solution.

I am hoping that OWS sees and seizes its inherent power and figures out how to use it creatively to bring something new and clean to American governance.a

Yes.

The only wasted vote is the vote you cast for some party hack who does not reflect and respect your social justice values.

Another option is no party. OWS is made up of independent thinking Americans and would best be reflected by people who are Independents in the voting booth as well.

It is not easy. The two party duopoly has the electoral and ballot access systems rigged at the state level. But there are always creative ways to undermine their subversion of one American one vote democracy. And there are probably more ways that people can conceptualize in each state if we put our minds to liberating American democracy from the duopoly dollars that Wall Street floods into the treasuries of the Democrats and Republicans.

I am trying to start a conversation about this by posting a new blog titled:

Liberate American democracy @ http://liberate-american-democracy.blogspot.com/

Its very new has little on it as yet. Any suggestions are welcome.

[-] 0 points by bensdad (8977) 12 years ago

Nader said Gore = Bush
Gore would have bombed Iraq???????????

Vote for no one and we will get another scalia
another Citizens United
illegalized abortions. another Iraq = Iran

Be an idealist - not an idiot

Three times more Florida Democrats voted for Bush in 2000 than all of the Floridians who voted for Nader.

Democrats elected Bush in 2000!

[-] 0 points by justcause (44) 12 years ago

lol, the third party will not win, it is going to be republic or democratic. The only thing you'll achieve is a couple a fewer votes for those parties

[-] 2 points by Frizzle (520) 12 years ago

So? Not like it matters which of those 2 win anyways. I agree that a 3th party won't win, but it can't hurt either.