Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. on riots - March 1968,

Posted 9 years ago on Nov. 25, 2014, 5:22 p.m. EST by flip (7101)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

"It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

6 Comments

6 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by beautifulworld (23767) 9 years ago

True to this day. Now, if only we could get to the roots of the problem. Instead of bringing in the National Guard, if only they could bring in decent jobs, a living wage, a decent education, healthcare for all people, affordable housing, etc. etc.

[-] 1 points by flip (7101) 9 years ago

i wonder why our leaders can't think of that?? i am sure if we get the democratic party to hold the presidency and both houses we could fix all of this - wouldn't you think?

[-] 1 points by Shule (2638) 9 years ago

Surely you must be joking, Mr. Flip??? LoL

[-] 1 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

The tricky thing is coordinating the language for maximum effect and minimum casualties. The casualties already have occurred, before the riot(s). Systematic killings. And they wonder why we object and demonstrate.

[-] 1 points by flip (7101) 9 years ago

correct

[-] 1 points by ImNotMe (1488) 7 years ago

''The Government that Honors MLK with a National Holiday Killed Him. A Review of 'The Plot to Kill King' by William Pepper.'' by Edward Curtin:

''Very few Americans are aware of the truth behind the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Few books have been written about it, unlike other significant assassinations, especially JFK’s. For almost fifty years there has been a media blackout supported by government deception to hide the truth.

''And few people, in a massive act of self-deception, have chosen to question the absurd official explanation, choosing, rather, to embrace a mythic fabrication intended to sugarcoat the bitter fruit that has resulted from the murder of the one man capable of leading a mass movement for revolutionary change in the United States. Today we are eating the fruit of our denial.

''In order to comprehend the significance of this extraordinary book, it is first necessary to dispel a widely accepted falsehood about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. William Pepper does that on the first page.

''To understand his death, it is essential to realize that although he is popularly depicted and perceived as a civil rights leader, he was much more than that. A non-violent revolutionary, he personified the most powerful force for the long-overdue social, political, and economic reconstruction of the nation.

''In other words, Martin Luther King was a transmitter of a non-violent spiritual and political energy so plenipotent that his very existence was a threat to an established order based on violence, racism, and economic exploitation. He was a very dangerous man.''

This excellent article is an extraordinary read & so I thoroughly recommend it to all who still read here.

fiat lux ...