Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Republican Senator McCain writes vague bill S. 3081 with broad language to suppress expected rise of OWS protests!

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 27, 2011, 10:16 p.m. EST by BumpyTheBumper (-16)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

S. 3081 "Enemy Belligerent Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act" -

Requires an individual who is suspected of engaging in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners through an act of terrorism and who may be an unprivileged enemy belligerent to be placed in military custody for purposes of initial interrogation and determination of status...

...Allows the detention of an unprivileged enemy belligerent without criminal charges or trial for the duration of hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners in which the individual has engaged or which the individual has purposely and materially supported.

Here's an internet petition to recall McCain: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/impeach-john-mccain/

Email or call McCain at: http://www.senate.gov/index.htm (use the text box in the upper right hand corner)

10 Comments

10 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by JesseHeffran (3903) 12 years ago

the two links are to the gov't site where the bills can be viewed. the article that the UCLA published is to get the people to think about unintended consequences of the bills in question. as for being spooked about the bills, there are not enough cosponsors of the bill for me to worry that much. the part that is in contention is where it gives gov't authority to indefinitely hold a "al-Qaeda or an associated force that acts in coordination with or pursuant to the direction of al-Qaeda." This bill could be a precursory to labeling anyone who disagrees with government policy Al-Qaeda. kinda like how the gov't uses Patriot Act to go after drug dealers. so i'd say the bill is a bad idea. but i dont think the house will allow it or enough of the senators will condone it. but who knows.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112%3AS.1253:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c112%3A1%3A.%2Ftemp%2F%7Ec112iybJOB%3Ae1172:

[-] 2 points by mserfas (652) from Ashland, PA 12 years ago

The ACLU reportedly has spoken out strongly against this proposal ( http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aclu.org%2Fnational-security%2Fsenators-mccain-and-lieberman-introduce-bill-authorize-indefinite-detention&date=2010-03-12 ). Though I'm not qualified to work through the legal ramifications myself, they are not often wrong in such matters. How many times are we going to pay for suspected terrorists to be resettled to Palau because the government wanted to cut corners on constitutional procedure, leaving us with people who couldn't ever be put through the ordinary court system? McCain and his ilk need to quit fooling around.

[-] 1 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

This is a bill from March 2010. It seems to have gone nowhere since.

This is from the bottom of the summary:

• Prohibits the use of Department of Justice (DOJ) appropriated funds to prosecute an unprivileged enemy belligerent in an Article III court.

• Allows the detention of an unprivileged enemy belligerent without criminal charges or trial for the duration of hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners in which the individual has engaged or which the individual has purposely and materially supported.

and it's supporters:

COSPONSORS(8), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)

• Sen Brown, Scott P. [MA] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen LeMieux, George S. [FL] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen Lieberman, Joseph I. [CT] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen Sessions, Jeff [AL] - 3/4/2010
  • Sen Thune, John [SD] - 3/5/2010
  • Sen Wicker, Roger F. [MS] - 3/4/2010

• Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 3/4/2010(withdrawn - 3/25/2010)
[-] 1 points by BumpyTheBumper (-16) 12 years ago

Yep the government has been preparing for a couple years now for protests and unrest like OWS. The government knows it is bankrupt and must take more from the citizens.

It hopes America goes along peacefully, but if we don't then the government must have strong laws on the books beforehand.

[-] 1 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

that's just silly

[-] 1 points by thrsaymaquf (15) 12 years ago

Its going to get a lot worse that that! the filthy rich are not going to give up their ill gotten loot and power without a fight. its going to be a lot of fun- soon you will be saying (like the people in the Arab spring) I AM NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!-----------------thrasymaque

[-] 1 points by BumpyTheBumper (-16) 12 years ago

It's important to be informed about politicians and political issues because the two govern and control our lives.

It seems like valid posts on this forum quickly die, but worthless posts thrive.

[-] 1 points by thrsaymaquf (15) 12 years ago

corrupt politicians and political issues to mold (distort) public opinion- will be destroyed by ows-- i would suggest you get out of our way-lol first they ignore us-then they laugh at us "THEN WE WIN" http://vgdhi.cjb.net -----------------------------------------thrasymaque

[-] 1 points by Windsofchange (1044) 12 years ago

Absolutely. We have to watch them like hawks. They planned on sneaking this quietly passed the American people--will they thought wrong. Everyone I know is talking about it.

Please call you Senators tomorrow morning because this horrible bill could pass tomorrow. Also, say yes to the Udall amendment that would enforce the constitution over it. We got to fight this thing. Thanks for your post.

[-] -1 points by owsleader2011 (304) 12 years ago

Yes, OWS will not be able to loot the haves, .. thus the have-nots will riot.

But who pray-tell will go to door to steal the loot and re-distribute?

Who decides whose wealth was ill-gotten, and who decides whose was fair? Perhaps all those living in better homes than a plywood box is the threshold? and who will occupy the BIG homes post revolution?

Yes the rich are not going to give their inheritance to the poor, re-distribution of wealth is NEVER pretty. Mencken back in the 1920's defined an election as "the advance auction of stolen goods', thus OWS can either through gubmint pressure steal, or they can riot and steal. But once everything is stolen? and world is no more than the bigger bully getting all, ... what then? Who will carry the guns? Who do you trust to be the police? Do you really trust the same cops that chem-spray you now? I don't.

The problem is that OWS is being ran like 1920's NAZISM, we don't even know yet who the real enemy is, but we're told to go along with the program. Weimar repub was fucked then like USA now, ... the kids wanted to believe in something, so they blindly followed Hitler. Now the kids are told to follow an invisible leader.

Who decides who goes door to door to steal?

WHo decides who to rob, oh yes by consensus, we'll know who to rape and plunder.