Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: protest in 24/7 shifts rather than encampments

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 28, 2011, 6:24 p.m. EST by einar77gb (2)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

There will be better public acceptance of the protest demonstrations if executed in shifts of protestors (e.g. group A from 6a.m. to 2p.m., group B from 2p.m. to 10p.m., and group C from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.) rather that establishing encampments where health and safety conditions can be questioned and distract from the real issues.

6 Comments

6 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by Edgewaters (912) 12 years ago

Would it be possible to maintain a presence like this? One of the reasons I think the camps are durable is because standing around holding signs is not the only activity (for instance, some people sleep).

[-] 2 points by JonValle (133) 12 years ago

I agree. We shouldn't be putting resources into sustaining camps.

[-] 2 points by einar77gb (2) 12 years ago

It might work.

[-] 1 points by ChristopherABrownART5 (46) from Santa Barbara, CA 12 years ago

I've watched some posts on this and would say that firstly, the legal basis of the protest needs to be defined. It's about defense of the constitution, folk do not appera to know that. Logically it would be about using the constitution, article 5, to defend the constitution. Before you even show up to protest you have the highest legal ground, . . . and you can prove it.

Shifts, sure. Sometimes you will need then and want them. Personally I can see where mutiple function could be created. An Occupy mode using a large percentage of stand in demonstrators that are sponsored by citizens groups. Basically the organized homeless are first educated to the issues, which most are probably supported but not understood. Standards for the Occupy temporary community are taught and upholding them is a part of room and board. It becomes a life skill exercise with guidence towards discussing the political in ways the sponsors need to see exercised.

I pretty much guarantee that Occupy will end up recovering borderline mental cases and alcoholiics at a rate double that the system can do, AND get their message out with deep irony.

[-] 1 points by bigbangbilly (594) 12 years ago

Any abandoned warehouses? Any urban explorers willing to give us a location to sleep ( as in places explored)?

[-] 1 points by aeturnus (231) from Robbinsville, NC 12 years ago

I agree with this. I think it may be the best way, with all the evictions and stuff that encampments are facing.

I would likely support an idea that we move to different areas, and then back around again in a few days. Generate smaller groups, and protest in not just one, but many, places.