Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Protest All 2014 made Cars Globally unless 100% Electric? What do you think?

Posted 11 years ago on Nov. 27, 2012, 2:30 p.m. EST by 10N (134)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Protest All 2014 made Cars Globally with the exception of 100% Electric Cars. (They did it in the 90's I think we can do it today?!?).

Buy not purchasing 2014 Cars pressure is put on car companies (similar that is being put on Walmart today) to produce electric Cars.

The Relief from oil will bring a Security, and Improve on Environment

Goal: The have cleaner cars and environment

Pending Question: A 100% "Hydrogen" Car vs the 70's Electric Car what are the performance differences? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENnSK8Q6nE

What do you think?

Hub: http://occupywallst.org/forum/whats-next-for-the-movement-a-discussion-on-strate/

13 Comments

13 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by jrhirsch (4714) from Sun City, CA 11 years ago

Electric cars still need to get their energy from somewhere.

[-] 1 points by 10N (134) 11 years ago

(hybrid cars) I actually did a study on this by coincidence for something unrelated. In short you only save the Environment if you energy isn't produce by coal state/country. If it is a coal place the difference is 2-3% of an improvement.

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

I think that would be one way to move forward - look at the Tesla operation.

But honestly - IMO - I think it would be much easier to convert existing vehicles of all sizes and uses to burn hydrogen ( forget the fancy shmancy fuel cell ) - The carburation would be a simple fix to switch over from burning gasoline to burning liquid hydrogen - treat it the same way as they do gasoline propane hybrids. You can fill liquid propane bottles at gas stations right now - you should be able to do the exact same thing with liquid hydrogen bottles.

This liquid hydrogen "bottle" use would require the least amount of change-over modification over all. Airplanes/jets, Buses, Trucks, Trains - EVERYTHING that uses an internal combustion engine.

How hard is it to produce Hydrogen? Compared to a "Hydrogen" car vs the 70's Electric Car what are the performance differences?

And as far as performance issues go? If the electric is a better performer stronger quicker more durable less maintenance? Well then run a small generator off of the hydrogen - placed inside the engine compartment with the electric motor and use that to power the electric motor. A bottle of liquid nitrogen will go a long ways on running a small generator to provide electricity. Special battery? I don't see why - unless of course you would like to give the generator a rest while in operation.

Here is a look at some information - These are fuel cell but they use hydrogen - the fuel cell has been the big hang-up - Hopewell Project

Then there is this on a power plant ( fuel cell power plant ) that creates hydrogen as part of it's normal operation - FuelCell Energy http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/progress_alerts.cfm/pa_id=600 Excerpt from the link - Energy Department Applauds World's First Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Station in Orange County. http://www.fuelcellenergy.com/products.php

It was this following article that got me thinking about liquid Hydrogen bottles :

From: NASA: alternative fuels for aviation | Energy Bulletin

Excerpt from article:

Other alternative fuels result in airplane performance penalties. For example, liquid hydrogen (LH2) not only presents very substantial airport infrastructure and airplane design issues, but because of the need for heavy fuel tanks, a short-range airplane would experience a 28 percent decrease in energy efficiency while on a 500-nautical-mile (nmi) mission. However, because airplanes need to carry much more fuel for a long range flight, and Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) fuel is quite lightweight the lighter takeoff weight of the airplane results in an energy efficiency loss of only 2 percent while on a 3,000-nm mission.

Then I just found this article on liquid hydrogen from Air Products a company that supplies liquid Hydrogen to NASA:

Safetygram #9 for Liquid Hydrogen - Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. www.airproducts.com/~/media/Files/PDF/.../safetygram-9.pdf File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View Liquid hydrogen is used in large volumes in the ... specially trained employees of the liquid hydrogen supplier .... may be vented and might collect should be ...

How did they do it in the 70's? Was it hydrogen?

I just attached some new information from Air Products a company that supplies high volume liquid hydrogen to NASA.

I'm curious to see what people have to say...

What about the Electric Car? They did it in the 70's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENnSK8Q6nE

What about this?

[-] 0 points by BetsyRoss (-744) 11 years ago

They did what in the 70's? Protested against cars that were not electric?

Looking around I'd say that if that was what they protested against, they failed. So why would protesting today for the same thing result in different results?

But not purchasing 2014 Cars you put the same pressure on car companies (similar that is being put on Walmart today) to produce electric Cars. The Relief from oil will bring a Security, and Improve on Enviroment

[-] 0 points by richardkentgates (3269) 11 years ago

I think batteries are highly toxic and after adding in the cost of replacement batteries, you don't save much. There are new energy technologies right around the corner. The energy issue will be heavy until it's not and then it will be solved almost over night. Do some google searches for new energy research. You will have to really dig and be willing to read PDFs and many other forms of papers, it won't be a typical web surf but it's out there.