Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Possible media traps set for cities on 11/11/11...

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 9, 2011, 2:05 p.m. EST by Jeshurun (10)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I've noticed that a number of ows movements in different cities in the US and Canada have been gaining increasing threats and intimidation over rememberance day -- espescialy cities where ows is camped in areas where rememberance day ceremonies are usualy held. There is little doubt that the corporate media will seek to deliberately use these encampments -or any possible verbal confrontations as a means to further villify ows and if possible, drive a wedge between ows and its support among veterans. I'd like to suggest a motion to be passed among the cities to vacate parks and memorial areas for the duration of 11/11 and to show solidarity with the nations fallen by not protesting on this day and using it purely as a time to honour all of our fallen friends and ancestors. Let us not fall into the traps and provocations that the media are plotting for the movement for that day ( though I do think the evening should be spent celebrating Spinal Taps 'Nigel Tuffnell day by playing rock music at 11) ...could this also please be passed on to all the other cities for carefull consideration by the assemblies xxxx

3 Comments

3 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by PandaMe73 (303) from Oakland, CA 12 years ago

I think it's a very good idea to do in those situations where we can manage it, since shit, if we can do anything to both honor our military and make their day go more smoothly, then we should do it!! Here in Oakland they have been beyond incredible, they are they are just such natural heroes that they don't even think twice about leading the marches and standing between the police and the peaceful protesters!!

But I see a few issues-- before I enumerate them, please don't take it as me discounting your plan, instead I'm just pointing out a few aspects that could create problems worse than the ones such an action seeks to avoid if not accounted and planned for, so better to know about them ahead of time even if folks all immediately agree to adopt your plan. Once those are on the table, either there are ways to deal with each or no, but we won't know till we look it all over :) Logistically it could be a real problem in some cities, since taking down an encampment involves much more than simply taking down a few tents, but dismantling large communal kitchens, medical tents, etc., as well as arranging to transport everything off the site and finding a place to store equipment.

A few more things to consider-- Not all the protesters staying in the encampments are local, at least a few people in any of the city encampments likely have traveled from smaller cities throughout the state so they may not have a car to transport their gear or anywhere to go even if they do, and sleeping with a bunch of people in a park is a whole different animal than finding yourself with 24 hours to kill and having to sleep alone in your car.

Also, there are several camps that, despite the support of the public and local citizens, still are being hounded by police forces itching to get rid of them, and as it is much harder to force a camp to disassemble than it is to keep one from setting up again, Protesters in some cities who leave their camps may find they have lost their camp and will have to work harder than expected to re-occupy.

Anyhoo, maybe others can see some solutions that could mitigate these issues!!

[-] 1 points by Thrasymaque (-2138) 12 years ago

I love the idea of Occupy protesters taking a day of silence to commemorate the veterans. This is extremely respectful, would connect with more veterans, and is essentially the best idea I have seen on these boards in a week.

You have a golden nugget of an idea, but it's buried in your paragraph. Put it right in your subject line, then rework your text a little to make it easier to read. Add some paragraphs breaks. Most importantly, make your idea stick out some more. It is very good, you should take care of it like a new born child.

[-] 1 points by stevemiller (1062) 12 years ago

I'm a convicted felon in a case that was a fraud -- both the trial and appeal.

I wrote a book to expose that. http://overthecoals.blogspot.com/