Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: OWS Lose the cigarettes for 2012! New Year's Resolution! Solidarity!

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 26, 2011, 2:13 p.m. EST by BlueRose (1437)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Seriously, you all need to lose the cigarettes. You are supporting a horrible industry and your early death, I don't care if your 90 year old grandfather smoked til he died, or that you have the "choice" to kill yourself with cigarettes, JUST QUIT SMOKING. I wish for every OWS city to resolve to quit this horrible habit together for 2012! Take up jogging or something, it seriously will help you quit. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could be a model for the general population?

20 Comments

20 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by 4TheHumanSocietyProject (504) 12 years ago

I agree with this man. I don't condone how I quit. However, I smoked a shit load of weed to quit smoking cigarets then I quit smoking weed. Then I stopped drinking. To much is wasted while I use substances. While people are dying in this world I try to conserve the resources by not using them.

[-] 1 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

Exactly. Everyone smoke at least one less cigarette today, go jog around the block or OWS camp, whatever it takes to quit. All OWS, it is not just the voting booth that matters. How we live can effect great change in this world, nonsmokers and smokers alike should promote this, OWS Smoke Free in 2012!

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

Yay! Do you jog? This is how I quit. Could not do 5 min, now I do 30 min!

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by TheEqualizer (42) 12 years ago

I wish everybody in the world would quit smoking. You are being pimped by the big tobacco companies. You are paying the tobacco corporations to slowly destroy your health and most likely eventually kill you. The saddest reality to smoking is that big tobacco got caught putting addictive chemicals into cigarettes to better addict you, then when they got caught and fined billions of dollars for this inhumane and criminal act they then turned around and victimized smokers again by passing those same fines onto the same people that they had already victimized by upping the price of cigarettes to help cover the costs of those fines.

[-] 1 points by TheTrollSlayer (347) from Kingsport, TN 12 years ago

What the hell has this got to do with what this movement is all about.

Making this world a better place, EMPOWERING people to do things they think they can't do, but know they should. If OWS can quit smoking, they can control their money, make other ethical consumer decisions. I want to see OWS do this, it would be amazing, speak volumes about how solidarity can help overcome advertising, bad culture, status quo. Please, OWS, DO this! Talk about it at GA's! If OWS can significantly reduce smoking, I will believe we can do anything!

[-] -1 points by DiogenesTruth (108) 12 years ago

This is actually a very significant idea. Unfortunately, OWS is primarily concerned with making other people change their ways, and not requiring personal responsibity for the movement or its members. If Tinkrbell waved a wand and OWS became disciplined, eschewing tobacco, alcohol, and drugs, stopped the silly Occupying of parks and highways, cleaned up and worked from within, it would be a true catalyst for change.

[-] 3 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

"Give me a place to stand, I shall move the Earth."~Archimedes. OWS has no place to stand, they must take a stand where they are, gathered in the public squares and parks. Getting back to the main topic, I really want OWS to do something extraordinary for themselves. Quit smoking, seriously peeps. YOU CAN DO IT! I KNOW YOU CAN! Tell me you will try, you will bring it up at GA's!

[-] 0 points by DiogenesTruth (108) 12 years ago

standing in parks was terrific in garnering attention. now its time for real work, your idea is a start. if you think people who camp in parks and smoke cigarettes and pot will be agents of change, you are delusional. people respect people who live lives of true discipline. soldiers will follow a leader who is more disciplined than themselves.

[-] 2 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

I respect every OWS camper, particularly in a time when sidewalks, traditional free speech forums, are often private property, businesses can deny permission to use. We are taking our country back, I want OWS to quit smoking, want them to stay alive to fix this world.

how is camping in a public park effecting change? honestly. the law of diminishing returns is in effect. unless you can delivsr votes, its just sand box games.

[Removed]

Love it, thanks, good points.

ok, its been nearly 4 months, what changes have been implemented? i havent seen any but imay have missed them.

[Removed]

nothing will change by standing in a park and yelling. nothing. create a 3rd party, please.

[Removed]

OWS, Quit smoking together 2012!