Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: OWS IS Succeeding In The 2012 Elections

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 14, 2011, 9:06 a.m. EST by aahpat (1407)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Like it or not Occupy Wall Street is having a positive material impact on the 2012 elections.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart did a great segment with Larry Wilmore deconstructing some racist and elitist assertions by Newt Gingrich "The Newt Gingrich Poverty Code': http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-december-13-2011/newt-gingrich-s-poverty-code?xrs=share_copy

They missed the most important aspect of the Gingrich bullshit; the fact that Newt Gingrich and the Republicans are starting to defensively address poverty issues.

This is entirely because Occupy Wall Street is pushing American poverty and unemployment issues onto the front burner of American political discourse.

So too with the GOP taking credit today for passing the extension of the payroll tax credit. They held it up until they could take credit for it. This is a clear win for OWS because the Republicans are running scared about being considered anti middle-class and callous toward Americans oppressed by poverty.

Occupy Wall Street IS having an impact on America's political discourse.

60 Comments

60 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by Skippy2 (485) 12 years ago

Vote out all incumbents in 2012! Dems are just as guilty as Reps. Both parties are run by money sucking Wall street whores.

[-] 1 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

Here is a list of specific members of Congress to focus on. These people, in 1999, voted to repeal Glass-Steagall and are still in the Congress today

The Congress that Crashed America http://home.ptd.net/~aahpat/aandc/congcrash.html

[-] 1 points by Occupyyourmind (23) 12 years ago

the turn coat Dems are even worse at least you expect Reps to screw the working class over.

[-] 1 points by freedomanddemocracy (72) 12 years ago

They were scared of being being branded as the party who promised not to raise taxes, and yet, were going to raise taxes on the Middle Class. They do not care about the Middle Class. They are very protective of the rich, and it is they who they will fight tooth and nail not to raise taxes. They were afraid of being branded as hypocrites, which by the way, they still and always will be!

[-] 1 points by franvan (4) from Woodbury, MN 12 years ago

Occupy both the Democratic and Republican caucuses in 2012!

We can take over the parties at the precent level!

How about that!

franvan

Yes! Especially in the primaries.

[-] 1 points by charfart123 (3) 12 years ago

What I feel needs to happen, because changing a mass belief system is unrealistic and the president himself can only slow the damage if he doesn't want to get shot is that we need to use our money to invest in a liberating energy source. Period. I will have you reference this open letter to the world, http://www.pureenergysystems.com/obituaries/2004/EugeneMallove/LastMessage040513/

When we lower our dependace on an outdated monopoly. We will seize to give it power. From there we can find who we are as a nation, instead of finding ourselves and our children as debt slaves to a corpratocracy.

If want to know exactly where capitalism and our government has crippled us Here is a fact sheet to my favorite documentary showing step by step exactly our democracy has misstepped. New, made (11/11/11)

http://www.thrivemovement.com/fact_checks

[-] 1 points by ironboltbruce (371) from Miami, FL 12 years ago

IT IS NO COINCIDENCE THAT OF THE LAST 14 U.S. PRESIDENTS, 7 HAVE BEEN DEMOCRATS AND 7 HAVE BEEN REPUBLICANS.

Our Kleptocracy-controlled media focuses on America's two-year election cycles as if who wins or loses in the swinging of the pendulum was a matter of life or death, when in fact even at the Presidential level it makes no more difference than the outcomes of Monday Night Football, American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, Hillbilly Handfishing or the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor. U.S. elections are staged primarily to give Sheeple the illusion of control so they will (a) vent their frustrations and expend their energy, emotions and resources supporting or attacking the Puppet on the Left hand or the Puppet on the Right, and consequently (b) never recognize and challenge the common omnipotent Puppetmaster.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/192687/hacking-democracy

http://www.hulu.com/watch/177439/peace

http://amerikanreich.com/

[-] 0 points by bereal (235) 12 years ago

When will OWS hand out the Participation Trophies???

[-] 0 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 12 years ago

Don't listen to ANYTHING either party says this election cycle that sounds like they're going to do right by the people or anything that sounds like support for the OWS movement. It's all pandering. It's sucking up to the American voter. It's SSDD. Too late Repubs. Too late Dems. Your days are numbered!

[-] 0 points by fucorporatemedia (451) 12 years ago

Elections are a farce. Who wrote this, the Koch supported DLC? Who gives a shit about any of the current politicians and which one of the corporate morons stay in office anyway?

We have to first throw Congress out for illegal insider trading, and return to expecting our Congress to follow US laws which will bring in a new type of 'public servant' that will run for office.

Then set up a real voting system with paper ballots, hand counted and posted at the precinct.

If you have been paying any attention, it is absurd to suggest voting will help anything with diebold central tabulators controlling the results.\

And HOW is it even possible the most moronic of people are running for office in what is supposed to be the greatest nation on earth>??

The Corporate media.....this could only happen with our entertainment tonight 'news' and bullshit they pass off as political discussion.

We have to occupy the corporate media. They have been getting away with this bullshit on our public airwaves for way too fucking long!!

[-] 2 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

62% of the voting eligible electorate gives a shit.

132.6 MILLION Americans, who voted in 2008, give a shit.

You are so confused in what you are saying that it is nonsensical.

All that you post is excuses for your failure to engage and take advantage of your own potential.

Moron!

[-] 3 points by BlueRose (1437) 12 years ago

The Koch Brothers and GOP want nothing more than to start a movement to get us to stop voting.

[-] 1 points by fucorporatemedia (451) 12 years ago

my point was that voting alone will solve nothing.

If you have been paying attention you realize that not only do we have a false choice between two parties in the dog and pony show...they are stealing our elections.

Do you really think all those tea party fools won Congress in 2010?

They are stealing the elections.

We have to focus on fair elections that are not controlled by electronic voting machines or tabulated on diebold central tabulators.

We need to work on every aspect of the elections.

Particularly, we need to develop ways of making our votes counts regardless of all of the subversions put into place not only by Wall Street with electronic voting but also the ballot access subversions put into place by the Democrats and Republicans at the state level to keep anyone from competing with them.

I am planning to use Write-In options to express my opinion of the two parties. Especially the Democrats who are not giving us a presidential primary at all. I will change my registration from Independent to Democrat for the primary so that I can Write-In Elizabeth Warren/Russ Feingold for president. Wall Street and the parties hate these two people and the parties fear our using Write-In because they can't control it. And it cost us nothing to do. Its free.

Did you see what recently happened at the recount in Waukesha County, Wisconsin?

Even if you go through the trouble of getting a hand count, even on paper ballots....they just stuffed the ballot bags. Kathy Nickolaus was in charge of the ballots the whole time, the ballot bags came into the recount ripped up, stuffed beyond their capacity, ballot bags numbered wrong...and they went ahead and gave it to Prosser anyway(then he went on to strangle a fellow justice). Karl Rove just happened to be in the area the night before.

WE have major major problems with our 'elections' and it all goes back to the corporate media. Roveco would not be able to steal election without the complicity of the corporate media. Independent exit polls showed Prosser losing, but the media just ignored it.

This is why we must first hold the media accountable, before the next 'election'.

I agree.

We can't simply depend on what the parties tell the media to report coming out of the ballot access and vote counting processes. We need to engage the entire process with dedicated OWS patriots who can see for themselves and insist that the media do their Constitutional duty to inform the electorate honestly and accurately.

These things can be done but it requires organization and focus. Traits that the OWS is short of at this point.

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by EricBlair (447) 12 years ago

We aren't succeeding in election because we aren't running in elections. We don't support the democrats---WE ARE PROTESTING THEM. Obama is a Wall St. puppet.

The democratic party may try to hijack us our use us as a talking point, but this does not mean we are supporting them. Their party takes more bribes from wall st firms than even republicans do.

[-] 0 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

Running in an election is a small part of politics. Don't confine yourself so, as the parties want you to.

The OWS messages are impacting the political system and causing the politicians to address OWS issues. this is the real power that OWS has access to. As the politicians now try to outdo each other in identifying with the OWS messages they will force a small incremental shift to a better reality for us all. As the candidates talk more about OWS issues the politicians in office will try to craft legislation to reflect the issues the candidates are talking about.

We need, more than anything, to be clear, loud and proud.

I would love to see OWS get better at making the message clear to the candidates. This can really cause a better world.

[-] 1 points by EricBlair (447) 12 years ago

Yes I understand perfectly well that in failing to ignore us they are now forced to attempt to co-opt and marginalize us. The democrats will play the Good cop to the republican Bad cop. We'll get some lip service, some empty gestures-- maybe they'll even throw a tangible bone or two to placate us peasants. They'll try to divert the threat of real collective power against the corporate machine back into fake electoral politics where it cannot change anything.

We aren't falling for it. We aren't going to "tone it down" and accept pittances. We are actually going to create a democracy for the first time, and there is nothing the "democratic party" can do to stop it.

The only solution is WORLD REVOLUTION.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

It is sad to see that you are so blinded with your disaffection that you won't allow yourself to see when you are succeeding.

[-] 1 points by EricBlair (447) 12 years ago

I'm also aware that we are succeeding--- it just happens to be in ways you don't seem to realize.

We are situated in a global shift in consciousness. A new digital age is dawning. The Net is crushing barriers in ways that were never before possible. Every world government is absolutely terrified by what is going on.

Maybe in a year or so when they declare martial law you'll wake up from your slumber.

Remember what I've said when you do.

LOL!

I've lived through martial law in America. 1965-1971 with National Guard in the streets of many major cities.

I do not intend basing my political activities on your paranoia.

Paranoia requires that a belief be "unreasonable" or "unfounded"

[-] 0 points by FrogWithWings (1367) 12 years ago

Are you telling me that the payroll tax credit was actually extended not predicated upon the political move of agreeing to give another hurried "looksee" at the Canadian pipeline they want to supply China?

[-] 0 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

I don't know about that. The Occupy Movement is certainly not anti-Republican, just anti greedy bank executives. Plenty of Republicans have lost their pensions also to these gambling bastards.

There is a big difference between the politicians of the GOP and Democrats and the people who identify themselves as Democrats and Republicans.

I was clearly referring to the political not the individual.

[-] 0 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

The Movement is non political. We don't care who is "in power". We keep protesting until they get it right, and jail every single bankster, who defrauded the widow and orphans funds, short sold good businesses, drove the poor from their homes, lined their pockets with millions and millions each and wasted money fraudulently on prostitution services, whilst lying to their wives. These people are horrible horrible monsters who have hurt you, me and the 99%. Lets get 'em. Jail time!! Semper fidelis.

[-] 2 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

Silly. Delusional.

If you do not assert political power those who hold political power and wield it against you have no reason to stop doing what they are doing. Protests mean nothing when they do not use of political power that they represent.

[-] 1 points by jeivers (278) 12 years ago

This is true - I would say Occupy needs to... But the Occupation Phase is winding down, so I will say the 99%ers need to draft other 99%ers who supports our key demands [Money Out of Politics (28th Ammendment to overturn Citizens United)/Banking out of Wall Street (reenact Glass Steagall)/end congresional immunity to insider trading laws and investigate and punish criminal activities on Wall Street] to run in the primaries of both parties so we can Occupy the Vote and then Congress.

[-] 1 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

Who said the Occupy phase is winding down. Not where I am living it is not. The wind (yes, we had 60mph winds and they have wrecked a lot of out tents). We are patching up the tenting, straighting the supports and digging in for the next round.

We are not interested in what politicians think. We are interest in their support, only as people, not as "leaders". Most of them are proving to be awkward. We will concentrate on the ones who like us and increase our base. Our main people are veterans, small business people, pensioners, students, university people, public sector workers, well meaning people. Even bank staff are on our side. We are their friends, as they are against the rotten banking crooks as the rest of us. Bank Area Manager - a friend. Bank Vice President - crooked as hell - go to jail.

I agree with your positions but if the OWS adamantly refuses to participate in the political process those aspirations are a waste of time. Whistling in the wind.

It is getting tiring coming onto these forums offering ideas, aspirations and encouragement only to be denounced by people who insist that political action is anti OWS.

[-] 0 points by jeivers (278) 12 years ago

dont need the forums support - find like minded people to meet - one you are alone - two and you have a partner - three and you are group - 3+ and you have a commitee... and so on --

[-] 1 points by OccupyCentre (263) 12 years ago

aahpat. jeivers. Hey guys. Political action is OK. If people go to their political representatives and push the Occupy agenda, that is great. Forcing politicians to do their job is great. Saying that Occupy supports one party against another is wrong. We are non political.

[-] 1 points by belltor (60) 12 years ago

Why isn't US Attorney General Eric Holder calling for investigations of the corruption and fraud that was endemic in the banking industry Attorney generals at the state level are doing more to investigate and level charges. OWS DC needs to confront the US justice dept on this issue

[-] 1 points by Rabart (13) 12 years ago

Environmental programs being cut in every state by both parties and on the federal level that is simply the information I wanted to bring forward. Environmentalists have been critical of deep cutbacks to the programs they had fought to implement. Some suggest the severity of the cuts is due as much to a political agenda to reduce government regulations as it is to cope with state budget deficits Not being able keep in place or manage anti-pollution standards that we have now, much less to consider new problems coming up with fracking , and the most likely to succeed pipeline. Consideration of the environmental impact should be part of a bill that stands alone and is not tied to a payroll tax bill. Don't worry you will have your keystone pipe line in the long run anyway, and the coal industries will continue to create jobs and mercury in the water.

[-] 0 points by Rabart (13) 12 years ago

yes the GOP will pass the payroll tax credit , but only if it is tied to building a new tar sand pipe line without any environmental considerations , and when the Dems, do not want to include the pipe line in the same bill , the GOP will immediate pull out their same old bull, bunk, claptrap, crock, "It is job killing" to not pass the pipe line agreement right away.

[-] 1 points by fandango (241) 12 years ago

the Keystone pipeline would provide hundreds of thousands of jobs AND oil.

[-] 0 points by aahpat (1407) 12 years ago

That is the way to entirely miss the point of the post with Democrat partisan talking point bullshit.

what ever happened to the green movement, who cares about polluting industries any more , mercury in the water big deal?

Um, the EPA banned the incandescent light bulb in favor of a mercury filled CFL. I don't here you all bitching about that.

[-] 1 points by TheMaster (63) 12 years ago

There's no discernible difference in the OWS agenda and the agenda of the Democrat Party.

Ya! that is a boo-hoo but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water you try to implement change you care. NPR has a series on "Poisoned Places: Toxic Air, Neglected Communities" check it out and see if it is worth thinking about for a few hours.

Today, hundreds of communities are still exposed to the pollutants, which can cause cancer, birth defects and other serious health issues. A secret government 'watch list' underscores how much government knows about the threat – and how little it has done to address it. "

The EPA should be disbanded today and many of it's economically crippling and nonsensical regulations overturned. Same with the Department of Energy and the Department of Education.

tea anyone?

Here is a novel idea CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury But the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, a neurotoxin, and the companies and federal government haven't come up with effective ways to get Americans to recycle them. Pete Keller works for Eco Lights Northwest, the only company in Washington state that recycles fluorescent lamps. He says it is illegal to put the bulbs in the trash in some counties in Washington, but most people still throw them out." Work with your state , your county , to get recycling of these bulbs happening. Straight out anarchy won't work it has been tried before.

But that doesn't mean that anarchistic communities cant exist with in the United States and flourish very well off the grid, many utopian communities , have existed and did well. and still do. And good luck with that.

Yeah, like the Manson community.

I am sorry I thought it was you who wanted to get rid of government in favor of anarchy? My Bad Are you really a OWS I am confused, where did you come from? Are you there at Zuccotti Park ?

[-] -1 points by bereal (235) 12 years ago

No. OWS is a useless group of fools.

[-] -1 points by TheMaster (63) 12 years ago

Newt for President. Get the marxist Halfrican out of office.

I am not at all surprised that Newt is a favorite among you racist assholes.

[-] 0 points by TheMaster (63) 12 years ago

Rofl! There's no bigger racist than the Halfrican and his OWS dweeb followers.

I would like to see Obama out of office. This is because he is a corporate puppet who gave away trillions to giant banks and corporations. How exactly is this "Marxist"? Where did Marx write that we ought to give away lots of tax money to wealthy bankers? I think you're confused.

And this racist "Halfrican" stuff is just silly.

There are lots of real reasons to oppose this corporate plutocrat--- we don't need fakes ones.