Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: October 3 at 4pm for a press conference 300 people will be allowed on the steps

Posted 12 years ago on Sept. 26, 2011, 3:14 p.m. EST by emilia (1) from Navalcarnero, Comunidad de Madrid
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

John Penley has just reserved the steps of City Hall in NYC for Monday October 3 at 4pm for a press conference on police brutality against Wall Street protesters. 300 people will be allowed on the steps. http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=153627748065009&id=100002533545877&notif_t=wall#!/profile.php?id=100000657789086 Well done, John Penley, many many thanks

Emilia

5 Comments

5 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by RedDread (57) from Bethel, CT 12 years ago

Excellent, I will try and attend. And @GandhiKingMindset, all great suggestions, and FOURTH would definitely be met with extreme violence by the authorities without question. It would be an action for peaceful sufferers who are prepared to suffer physical harm.

[-] 1 points by GandhiKingMindset (124) 12 years ago

PS - I am certain it would in fact NOT be met with extreme violence because the TV cameras, phones and video cameras would be everywhere. Believe me, after that pepper spray incident, the entire force got a stern lecture from their PR person, the mayor and the chief. They heard all about "cameras are everywhere."

This is how the civil rights movement was successful. People were willing to go to jail. This is how Gandhi beat the British in a bed sheet. Non-cooperation. Peaceful protest. And the world is watching. As long as we remain non-violent, we can't lose. Anything they do in reaction looks bad. It is only with focused direct action that we will show our resolve and gain the kind of momentum and support we need to make a real difference. This courage will help grow the movement exponentially.

[-] 1 points by JackieWD (3) from Mt Pleasant, MI 12 years ago

Sent your comments of outrage concerning NYPD brutality to nyc.gov through the contact section. I just did and I feel better. Now I looking for someone to go with me to NYC as I live in rural Michigan. Power to the People, not corporations.

That is great news. If certain things happen PRIOR to that date, that's going to be the height of press coverage both in U.S. and worldwide. We have the stage but we haven't done anything with that stage and the world is watching. Many have said these things but let me try to collect them here in one spot. We are gaining momentum and the world is waking up to this incredible protest. We have remained non-violent. Many in America are sympathetic and are grateful that we are taking a stand.

But occupying the park and marching by themselves are not enough. The world and our supporters will get energized if we get tactical and take action:

FIRST - The videos of police using brutal physical force and pepper spray against peaceful protestors do an incredible job displaying the brutality of the power structure. King, Gandhi, Abbey Hoffman and countless others who are / were professionals at non-violent action and peaceful provocation would absolutely be calling a press conference denouncing these actions and showing these videos at the press conference. You have found a way to make this happen in a very public way and that is HUGE! This puts the police on the defensive.

SECOND - King and Gandhi were successful in part because they were experts at tactical non-violence. We can follow in their footsteps by blocking the entrances to Wall St. offices this week. As we know, police have set up what amounts to a Green Zone around Wall St. But the suits have to enter somewhere. They have to leave the public street and enter that Green Zone somewhere. That point where public meets private should be the very center of our focus for non-violent resistance and occupation. Even as the location of that intersection shifts, we can always identify it. By definition there must always be an entrance and that entrance should be our focus.

THIRD - OUR ONE DEMAND - We should make one single demand: "Shut Down Wall St." Why are we shutting down Wall St.? "Because Wall St. is hurting Americans, hurting citizens of the world and ruining our environment."

When they fail to shut down Wall St., we do it for them in a non-violent way using peaceful non-violent resistance. And when the press asks, why.... We answer "We shut down Wall St. for a day so America and the world could breathe for a day, be free of the plutocracy for a day, be free of the exploitation for a day, be free of the greed for a day. Many will ask "What good is a day?" and we'll answer: "You call it a day. We call it a pretty good start. If someone has their foot on your neck for years and years and you non-violently force that foot to be removed for a day, that allows you breathing room for all sorts of options.

FOURTH - HOW - To shut it down, we need human chains of 30, 50, 90, 150, 300 people linked together (think zip ties) blocking the various entrances. The police will find it almost impossible to deal with these human blockades. This will create the largest pedestrian traffic jam New York has ever seen and the people who have been trading on the world's misery for so long simply won't be able to get in to do it that day. It will help if we don't go in as a march but instead go dark as regular old NYC pedestrians from all directions and then show up there at the same time.

I am aware that now protestors have found access to a large cache of civilian clothes that will allow many of the new people arriving to blend in (suits, ties, the works). This new donation will make it much easier to blend in up until the point of protest. And it will also gum up the works even more, making it easier to shut down Wall St. because now the police can't tell who's who and they need to stop EVERYONE, even the suits. Their Green Zone will then break down.

FIFTH - THE RESULT - The result of this direct non-violent action, this just protest, is that the front page of newspapers around the world will show images peaceful American youth shutting down the financial district that has wrought so much destruction around the world for so long. They'll be inspired by the ingenuity, the success and the courage and the movement will grow EXPONENTIALLY. Gandhi and King have given us the playbook. It's peaceful non-resistance. And it works.

We have the stage but that's not enough. It's time for direct action. It's time for civil disobedience to bring the truth into the light. They are not equipped to deal with it. They don't know what to do with non-violence because all the cameras are rolling and whatever they do makes them look bad. We will confound them if we take direct action.

The spirit of Abbey Hoffman, Martin L King and Gandhi is with us. It's time to use their playbook. It's time for ACTION!!! Civil disobedience. Our disobedience will be consistently blocking the entrances to Wall Street’s offices. They will find us coming together to block these entrances wherever they move them. Because there is always an intersection where public meets private. No matter where they move it, we’ll be there. We will be there.