Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Occupy the Rose Parade: 5,000 Protesters, Giant Octopus Fail to Make Live TV

Posted 12 years ago on Jan. 2, 2012, 5:20 p.m. EST by jk1234 (257)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

7 Comments

7 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by philosophersstoned (233) from Gypsum, CO 12 years ago

Apparently this isn't an "approved" Occupy action, and the organizer is a convicted felon and former Goldman-Sachs employee (was that redundant?).

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_19656317?source=rss

But I'm not totally sold on it being a bad thing, parading with a giant octopus puppet is pretty funny.

[-] 1 points by WeUsAll (200) 12 years ago

I don't know where to go for approval, but a few of us have occupied the lines at bank of america, to close our accounts, without approval from anyone. So who are we supposed to get approval from? I have some things in my past that I'm not proud of, but I'm an honest citizen now and feel like I'm doing the right thing supporting the movement, so I'm not going to judge anyone else. As far as the Occupy Rose Parade goes, or went, it was one of the most respectful, peaceful occupations I've seen and could be used as a model for future demonstrations - in that regard. It was successfully self policed and there were zero problems with law enforcement. There were many marchers from the Rose Parade that changed clothes and came back to march with the Occupy, which was fairly rewarding, and there were many people in the stands supporting. The L A Times included a picture of Occupy on it's front page today, with the Rose Parade story, and it gave serious merit to the cause. So besides a few boos, the Occupy Rose Parade was a lot of fun and definitely was not a blemish on the movement.

[-] 1 points by WeUsAll (200) 12 years ago

Licensing agreements with the Rose Parade prevented a live broadcast, but the TV crews did tape it, of course. http://www.ktla.com/videogallery/67109864/News/RAW-VIDEO-Occupy-s-Rose-Parade-Float - Much more will be aired in coming days after the sponsors get their time to bloat about it. There was a huge turnout for only having a permit for three hundred, very peaceful, and everyone had a great time.

[-] 1 points by jk1234 (257) 12 years ago
[-] 1 points by JimBeam (152) 12 years ago

Why would anyone follow what the Huffington Post has to say. That is the alter-ego to Fox. You can't listen to either of them and expect that anyone is going to take the argument seriously.

[-] -2 points by DependentClass (19) 12 years ago

Another fail. And really, this is what they strive for? It's too damn funny. I wish they had made TV. And, again, considering they're the "99%", they sure have a hard time mustering a turnout.