Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Occupy Times Square New Year Eve and Day 2012

Posted 12 years ago on Dec. 21, 2011, 6:33 p.m. EST by bigbangbilly (594)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Crowds will be expected and with a twist: We Are The Crowds. We are not tourist we are residents of the planet Earth!

53 Comments

53 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by 4TheHumanSocietyProject (504) 12 years ago

Anonymous should have something instore for us. If they can pull it off your campaigning would go more smoothly. I like the word campain more then protest. I am just shocked at how many people have no idea about the sopa and the ndaa. It is like we have trained our youth to care only about money and spending that money.

[-] 1 points by JPB950 (2254) 12 years ago

Why are you shocked? Most people don't know more then a slogan about the man they vote for. We've got the government we deserve.

[-] 1 points by andwee (13) 12 years ago

Lol. If someone doesn't knock over that fucking card stand, this life is not worth living.

[-] 1 points by ARod1993 (2420) 12 years ago

Let's keep our distance from Anonymous for now, especially after their Christmas hacking spree. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them or want to marginalize them in any way, but when all is said and done they're a bunch of loose cannons. They have even less of a leadership or command infrastructure than we do, which means there is no way for us to make sure they don't cross the line between popping people's bubbles and actual criminal activity (e-mails are fine, credit card data is not) and I don't want our name tied to theirs when and if people start going after them for one stunt too many.

Case in point: the Christmas spree. That was technically brilliant and potentially incredibly stupid, depending on what exactly they stole. Theft and publication of e-mails detailing proprietary info? Not sure I mind that; a lot of the time "proprietary information," especially things related to national security, tends to be more about keeping potentially embarrassing and/or disquieting knowledge out of the public eye even though by rights investors and/or the public have a right to know.

The credit card data? That's another story. I'm not necessarily going to condemn involuntary donations by corporations to charities, but once you start stealing the information of ordinary employees you cross a line. Pulling money out of people's accounts to give to charity sounds like a nice idea, but a lot of people are living a lot tighter now due to the recession and don't really have that much to spend. If you've just spent someone's mortgage payment (even if it is on charity) then you may have just screwed them out of their house without justification and you owe them restitution.

I think they perform an important function as far as keeping everyone on their toes is concerned, but they're reckless enough (and on occasion cross serious enough lines) that being too closely associated with them could seriously backfire. By its definition Anonymous is fiendishly difficult to break up or harass into silence. We, on the other hand, are far easier to trace, harass, detain, arrest, disrupt, or what have you and if we're too close to them when they get stupid we become the easy target for a whole lot of angry people. I don't know about you, but I can't see how that's a good idea.

[-] 1 points by 4TheHumanSocietyProject (504) 12 years ago

However, it may get peoples attention and they may "awaken" those they stole from. stealing is stealing. Just because the government does it us doesn't mean we can do it to them. So you are right when you say it is brilliant and potentially incredibly stupid.

I disagree with the Christmas thing. I was upset and lost some credit. I think they are kinda being cocky. Stick to the plan do not make room for error.

[-] 1 points by bigbangbilly (594) 12 years ago

Unless security is very tight Anonymous should have the capability to affect the networked electronics in Times Square however I am going to hope that they are not going to invoke NYPA on OWS.

If enough trolls post copyrighted contents on OWS forums we could be shutdown due to SOPA.

Sopa wont be passed till after new years.

[-] 0 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

what is nypa?

new york port authority? I thought that was a bureaucracy - how does one invoke a bureaucracy?

[-] 2 points by bigbangbilly (594) 12 years ago

That means Not Your Personal Army. This prevents personal requests.

[-] 0 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

I must be dense - I've never heard it and don't get it.

[-] 1 points by HarryCrew07 (433) 12 years ago

NYPA = NYPD = "Bloombergs Army" as some have been calling it recently

[-] 0 points by danmi (66) 12 years ago

I think this lame site and others related to it will be shut down due to steadily decrease in interest

[-] 2 points by k5rakitan (22) 12 years ago

Great idea! I think that Occupy Oakland will be doing that in Jack London Square.

Any more centers of new year celebration?

[-] 1 points by k5rakitan (22) 12 years ago

I'm not sure. I hope so, though.

[Removed]

Do you meant that sarcastically?

[-] 2 points by richardkentgates (3269) 12 years ago

I love this idea

[-] 2 points by divineright (664) 12 years ago

Perfect opportunity for exposure and to propel the message into the new year!!!

[Deleted]

You can help also by giving input to this thread.

[-] 2 points by occupypuppies (71) 12 years ago

I like it.

Why don't we announce it on the news page?

This thread need a bump flood very badly.

Really badly

[-] 1 points by singlemom99 (57) from Bethlehem, PA 12 years ago

My friend and I are going to Times Square for NYE for the first time this year. Its on my bucket list, and I figure this year is the year to go. So what will I be expecting? Will I return home safe the next day? JW?

[-] 1 points by CatLady2 (248) from New York, NY 12 years ago

Expect enormous crowds and freezing weather. There is security at every entry point into Times Square and I suggest you get there hours early and wear good warm shoes. Don't bring big bags or backpacks.. you won't get in with them.
Do go and have fun, its a once in a lifetime event.

You can participate in the protest or seek safety as soon as the surprise reveals itself

[Removed]

[Removed]

We start camping right after the "celebrations".

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by mikePac (52) 12 years ago

We Are The Crowds. We are not tourist we are residents of the planet Earth!//////////////////////////////////////////////////The only thing you OWS goons are is just a blockage causing the economy not to go forward.

[-] 0 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

You are making the assumption that the economy was going somewhere.

It wasn't.

You may be right but you folks are holding it back more. Occupying the caucus, New Years eve, Why???

OWS doesn't have the capacity to hold the economy back. You know it, I know it and everyone else knows it.

You are correct again but they do have the ability to "disrupt" I am pretty much just learning about this movement and I will knock it off with the jabs. From what I can see though is the OWS is made up of just the far left wing group.

You are scapegoating. Further, if you waltz in hard right you will probably get smacked with a hard left.

[-] 0 points by HarryPairatestes2 (380) from Barrow, AK 12 years ago

Nothing like protesting surrounded by drunks itching to start a fight. Good luck.....

How about we influence the drunk to fight someone else instead of OWS, eh?

[-] -1 points by HarryPairatestes2 (380) from Barrow, AK 12 years ago

Right. Go with signs and start raising them and chanting. When the drunks with their dates can't see the ball drop or hear the music, the 1% will be the least of your worries. Let me know how it went after you regain consciousness.

Alcohol is a depressant and music can me manipulated. They will hear our music and the ball might stay the same.

[-] 0 points by HarryPairatestes2 (380) from Barrow, AK 12 years ago

It's great to be immortal when you are young.

[-] 2 points by bigbangbilly (594) 12 years ago

What does this have to do with your original post?

[-] 0 points by stuartchase (861) 12 years ago

And I want you to gather here. I want you to read about these companies. I want you to verify what I claim. And if what I say is true, I want you to protest. I want you to protest day and night. I want you to follow these bastards down the street and say "You evil motherfuckers, you're not gonna get away with this!"

http://occupywallst.org/forum/the-great-satan/

The Revolution starts here!

[-] -1 points by NightShade (163) 12 years ago

This is an awesome idea, screw the new year party and lets see how Dick Clark deals with this.

[-] 0 points by bigbangbilly (594) 12 years ago

And if the police messes with our protesting they are hurting themselves.

[-] -1 points by Farleymowat (415) 12 years ago

Don't drink too much and get thrown in the can. Or, yeah, go ahead and do that and you can occupy the jail!

During that time of year I would be stuck with my family and I am slightly too young to drink.

[-] 0 points by Farleymowat (415) 12 years ago

Why would being slightly too young matter?

Also I do not drink alcohol.

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by danmi (66) 12 years ago

Well numbnutz bigbangbilly looks like your sorry azz will be out there by yourself. Be sure to yell loud so you drown out the crowd roaring in the new year

Actually I would be stuck with my family but I would be able to provide tactical support via the cameras at time square.