Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Occupy 2013?

Posted 12 years ago on March 11, 2012, 1:57 p.m. EST by richardkentgates (3269)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

The NYCGA is low on funding, encampments shrinking, forums slowing. Yet Occupy is on the lips of every politician and financial executive in several countries and the number of projects on the web with untapped potential is growing.

Is Occupy going to morph and get in where it fits in, or will it fade as it becomes more like a part time job? Are there enough serious minded people interested in Occupy to keep it alive?

Do you see yourself as an Occupy participant on the web or ground come 2013?

3 Comments

3 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Doesn't it's existence revolve around the solutions and responses to the issues or the lack thereof?

I think that some people involved with Occupy will be finding their niche and moving in a different direction to try to obtain the same results through other methods. However, I think that it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

A lot of where I will be is dependent on the next several months. There are several changes that will be made. Those changes will decide what and how I engage in anything in 2013. I won't participate on line too much for a bit.

That said, I do see myself participating in 2013.

[-] 2 points by Underdog (2971) from Clermont, FL 12 years ago

The best thing about Occupy is that it is visible. There are lots of other organizations fighting for the same things Occupy is fighting for that are "invisible". Occupy still needs to remain, if for no other reason, so that it's visibility continues to tell the world that people are pissed off enough to camp out in the weather, etc. as a sign of determination. If Occupy folds up shop, then that sends a powerful signal to the rest of the world that things have "returned to normal" and that it is back to status quo.

It is very important that Occupy continue its visible protests until all demands are met, even if this takes years.

[-] 1 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

Occupy Wall Street didn't have a dime on September 17. Money is important and useful to the movement but by no means essential. Saul Alinsky said that power flowed to two poles, those with the money and those with the people. Right now, IMHO OWS really has neither, though I think it does have the potential to become more than a genuine mass movement, to become a culture of opposition, because, as I see it, its grievances are not based on cyclical problems in the international political economy but are frankly systemic.

Personally based both on my personal experience at several occupations as well as on this forum, web based "participation" is a cop out and has absolutely no meaning. The difference between actually being at a physical occupation and "participation" on a forum like this is dramatic and palpable. I've never seen anyone at a physical occupation be as mean to each other as people routinely are on this forum.

More than one commentator has made the point that one of the most important aspects of OWS is that people got up from their computer screens, went out into the streets and met each other. E-mail messages may facilitate that, but they are no substitute for it.

I suspect that 95% of the population is within commuting distance of a local general assembly, most of which that are not connected to an encampment, meet only on a weekly basis or less. There is really no reason why the average person with a full time job who undoubtedly spends several hours a week at a bar, at the movies or in front of a computer or tv screen could not take an hour or so a week to participate in a local general assembly except that they are unused to doing so.

Personally, I see the next most logical step for OWS being a reinstatement of the sit down movement of the mid 1930s, the occupation of the work place, but I also acknowledge that it would really be a giant step and unlikely, though if it happened in only one or two major places I suspect it might spread like wild fire,

[Removed]