Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: NO political campaign 2012

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 15, 2011, 6:29 p.m. EST by flashcards (39)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

while I appreciate that the occupy movement has no desire to launch any kind of organized campaign for the 2012 election I would like to point out that.

A) Our political leaders are elected by a majority of VOTES. So not voting does nothing to change current circumstance. The old guys and gals on capitol hill figure they will get re-elected because we have no one else to vote for. Hence the Occupy movement is little more than an amusement in those circles.

B) I have heard of many individuals determined to seek office locally since the start of the protests. If there is no organized party to represent the members of the Occupy Movement, how do we identify them from any other independent. EG a disaffected Republican running as an independent.

I would ask from them, that they Identify themselves clearly perhaps a slogan they can all be comfortable with. Maybe something like "The People For a Better America", no Party rules, no party line just something to help us Identify who they are, and for them to see each other.

I know this sounds like a party, but it need not be, just an alternative to undecided or independent.

3 Comments

3 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by flashcards (39) 12 years ago

while I appreciate the sentiment you are already running into problems. "shall elect Two Delegates, one male and one female" what happens if I want to elect 2 women because the guys suck? or vice versa. I would then not be represented, because of some misguided idea about equality.

If we are all equal here, then predetermining the gender of half of the delegates is pointless. EG Califonia may elect 2 women because they are the best people for the job, while. PA may elect 2 men? isn't that equality. Under the 99% plan we may elect as little as 50% of the best candidates base purely on geography and gender.? HOW is that a better form of government. PLZ TRY HARDER. I Say that as someone who is forced to pay taxation and denied any representation at all; not as someone who is looking to others to do the work for me and will complain about all results.

Were I able, I would currently be trying to hold office, but under that declaration I am denied that opportunity too. But thank you for your efforts "AFarewellToKings"

[-] 1 points by AFarewellToKings (1486) 12 years ago

233 days to the National General Assembly https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/

[-] 1 points by Droid24JG (119) from New York, NY 12 years ago

356 days to election day, 2012 (11/06/2012).