Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: McDonald's And Starbucks' CEOs Make More Than $9,200 An Hour

Posted 10 years ago on Dec. 10, 2013, 4:39 p.m. EST by LeoYo (5909)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

McDonald's And Starbucks' CEOs Make More Than $9,200 An Hour

By Hayley Peterson10 hours ago

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-starbucks-ceos-more-9-110100507.html

The chief executives of McDonald's and Starbucks earn more than $9,200 an hour, which is at least 1,000 times the hourly wages of their sales associates, according to a new report by the personal finance website NerdWallet.

The report http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/2013/466-hours-overtime-equals-hour-ceo-pay/ highlights fast food and retail companies with some of the biggest gaps between CEO pay and hourly wages paid to associates. McDonald's, Starbucks and Dollar General top the list, followed by Gap, TJ Maxx, Target, Wal-Mart, CVS Caremark, Best Buy and AT&T Wireless.

Out of those 10 companies, median CEO pay on an hourly basis was calculated as $7,334, compared to $8.73 for sales associates. NerdWallet reviewed 100 companies for the report and selected the 10 that had the highest annual CEO pay to compare the disparities.

CEO pay was calculated by dividing each chief executive's total compensation (as reported in the company's annual proxy statement) by 60 hours a week times 50 weeks per year. Sales associates' wage information was obtained from Glassdoor.com. The NerdWallet study comes as employees of fast food and retail chains have been staging a series of demonstrations and strikes demanding better pay.

7 Comments

7 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 5 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

It is a bit ridiculous.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 10 years ago

Vote with your feet, and don't buy their crappy non-food.

[-] 6 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Agree. Power in Boycott.

[-] 2 points by Builder (4202) 10 years ago

After a resurgence in turnover, due to the release of Aussie-style angus beef burgers here in the land of Oz, maccas is actually employing research teams to try and regain some market share. They are all over the shop recently, with chicken wraps, packaged salads, and gourmet coffee deals.

Odd, really. Even the kids here are saying their food is shite.

[+] -4 points by sharmag (-115) from New York, NY 10 years ago

I bet they work more than 60 hours. Many first-year bankers on Wall Street work around 80 hours or more, and I'd imagine CEOs work around 70 hours, though I'm not sure. Also, those are very valuable and stressful minutes, whereas those for lower employees aren't.

[-] 2 points by Zophim99 (12) 10 years ago

Nobody is worth that kind of money. I'm sure a monkey could replace them but, morons like Howard Schultz and Donald Thompson only get to stay in the job because their less likely to shit in the chair.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 10 years ago

Mediocrity has a habit of finding company.

[Removed]