Posted 3 years ago on Dec. 27, 2011, 7:11 a.m. EST by JoeTheFarmer
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
I find that most people are confused about the meaning of these terms. Often I see posts where people believe that liberal is the opposite of conservative or the Republican and conservative are the same thing.
Conservative vs Progressive
- A Conservative is disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions and is marked by moderation or caution.
- A progressive is more open to moderate change of political existing views, conditions, or institutions and is comfortable with aggressive change.
Liberalism, Socialism, Communism
- Liberalism is a philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.
- Socialism advocates collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
- Communism takes state or collective control one step further where the actual goods are collectively owned and there is no private property.
Right vs Left wing
They relate to conservative and progressive groups within an organization. For example union can have a right and left wing.
There is a conservative wing in the Democratic Party and a Progressive wing in the Republican Party. If you look at his policies, George Bush was a progressive.
Republican Vs Democrat - These are both political parties