Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: JUBILEE 2012!!

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 17, 2011, 11:54 a.m. EST by chazspaniel (8)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

This is a meme, spread it far and wide.

I think it should be obvious that DEBT=SLAVERY. Every human being who is indebted to a bank is enslaved to that bank, and that means most people are enslaved. The debts constantly increase, there isn't enough money to ever pay them off (that's part of the design), so it's like we, the debt slaves, are trying to keep up with an accelerating hamster wheel of debt. Unfortunately for those in charge, the system will inevitably collapse - unable to keep up with the angular velocity of the wheel, we WILL FALL at some point. And even if we could keep up with the debt wheel, we don't have to - we don't have to be slaves - we don't have to play by their rules.

I propose that we refine our message and demand a universal debt jubilee. Call it Jubilee 2012. Debt is nothing but an idea. Money is nothing but an idea. Let's take it back from the criminals who have enslaved us!

JUBILEE 2012!!
All privately owned banks should be nationalized, and the power to control the money supply should be TAKEN BACK by the governments and people of the world. Money will be spun into the economies of the nations debt free. The money supply will increase as the means of production increase. A progressive income tax will take money out of circulation. Public works projects and low interest loans (~2% to ensure that money is paid back in a reasonable amount of time) will inject money into the system.
All 3rd world debts will disappear. All student loans will disappear. All mortgages and credit card debts will disappear. All money will REMAIN fiat (digital), never again to be backed by gold, silver, or any essential good or commodity. It will operate like the talley stick system in Medieval England. Bankers will be tried in international courts for crimes against humanity - and then pardoned and stripped of all wealth as part of the jubilee! Trade will again be fair; tariff-free trade will end. The control of vital resources will be returned to the nations and people whose borders encompass those resources.

30 Comments

30 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by rachaelmatheus (4) 12 years ago

Yes, someone stand up and say this on stack tonight.

[-] 0 points by chazspaniel (8) 12 years ago

Apparently I'm not the first to suggest this in OWS, so I'll give credit where credit is due:

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/12/jubilee_2012/

Glad I found this. Let's keep the momentum going. DEMAND THE DEBT JUBILEE!!

[-] 0 points by GoHomeFools (5) from Brooklyn, NY 12 years ago

Idiot. Basically, you want all the things (tangible and in-tangible) that you've received for free? Incredibly naive suggestion.

[-] 2 points by Buck (37) 12 years ago

It's been used throughout history. Any system with negotiable prices and wages and a system (or systems) of credit is going to be thrown off balance over time. Bankruptcy is supposed to alleviate this, but Congress has made it more difficult to file bankruptcy, and student debts can never be cleared by bankruptcy.

[-] 0 points by Perspective (-243) 12 years ago

Spoken like a true whacko. Sorry I don't usually call names but your proposal is not realistic at all. What do you think would happen if you just cancel everybody's debt? Businesses across the country would collapse. You think the economy is bad now. Debt is self incurrred and no one is responsible for it except the person who incurred it(or cosigned).You're just looking for a free ride and to hell with everyone else.

[-] 0 points by Daennera (765) from Griffith, IN 12 years ago

Well stop taking on debt and you won't be "enslaved". Although seeing as how you willingly took on debt, you can't be enslaved as that is completely opposite of the actual definition of slavery.

[-] 1 points by stevemiller (1062) 12 years ago

The bankers are paying their bribes to all congress people to keep from being prosecuted. Do you think those people keep pissing away $2500 on each congress person in all other districts because they are stupid?

[-] 1 points by Daennera (765) from Griffith, IN 12 years ago

And how does that lead to enslavement of you or I?

I'm not enslaved. Its your word not mine.

The bankers busted the banks with bad loans and derivatives. If you don't know that by now, you probably never will. Look at my blog after 2PM and you can hear me explain this on a 5 min you tube.

Actually it was the word of the OP. Also one must look at the govt making the banks give those bad loans.

Making banks give bad loans? The government can't make the banks lend them $2 trillion they are sitting on to viable businesses.

Is it possible that for you to believe the propaganda nonsense that you are in a trance?

Sure thing,one of Clinton's big deals was making it so EVERYONE could buy a house whether they could afford it or not. Why do OWS people almost always resort to insults when someone says something they don't agree with. I can count on one hand the good discussions I've had here and the ones where I was insulted well.....too many to keep track of.Surely you don't think what the OP said is feasible do you?

People who make dumb remarks to me insult my intelligence. Do they expect courtesy after their insult?

You are in the political correct trance.

Ah yes,ignore those of us in the 99% who don't agree with you. It must be so nice to be the all knowing and know exactly what is right for everyone in the country. How do you handle all the pressure?

[Removed]

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by chazspaniel (8) 12 years ago

Tell that to the United States Government. Or have you forgotten that you are obligated to pay those debts too? Tell me, to whom does the government owe money? And what does it MEAN for the government to "owe money"?

[-] 2 points by Daennera (765) from Griffith, IN 12 years ago

Well believe it not, they mostly owe it to themselves. See below for who we owe and how much:

• Hong Kong: $121.9 billion (0.9 percent)
  • Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)
  • Taiwan: $153.4 billion (1.1 percent)
  • Brazil: $211.4 billion (1.5 percent)
  • Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)
  • Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)
  • Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)
  • State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion (2.2 percent)
  • Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)
  • United Kingdom: $346.5 billion (2.4 percent)
  • Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)
  • State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)
  • Japan: $912.4 billion (6.4 percent)
  • U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)
  • China: $1.16 trillion (8 percent)
  • The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)
  • Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)

Daennera, ALL money is loaned into existence. All money originates with a securities exchange. All the nations who have loaned us money have loaned us money that is backed by debt. They too, must repay the loans that they have loaned to us. You don't get it at all.

Now, please explain to me what money is. I have defined it as an idea, no different from liberty or justice. You seem to think it is more tangible than that.

[-] 3 points by Daennera (765) from Griffith, IN 12 years ago

A unit of measure that allows you to obtain what you want. Whether that be food or influence. It's malleable and meaningful across all people and cultures. It's quite a beautiful thing when you see what it does.

You are right, money is useful - that is, if it isn't debt-based money. That is THE PROBLEM. And if you think what debt-based money is doing to the world is "a beautiful thing", I suggest you check the scrip on your monocle and take another look at the world - Hell just take a look at Main Street. Look at the unemployment figures. Look at the waste. Look at the "Third World". Look at the average American at Wal-Mart or at a State Fair. That is what our money system (and the massive inequalities arising from it) creates.

I'm sorry, but we live in a country where we don't have to be worried about being blown up on the way to work, where food is beyond plentiful, where shelter can easily be found.

That's it. Once a country gives you that, the rest is up to you.

For now. But economic instability leads to political instability.

Every man must fight for his right to a place in the sun. That's what OWS is about.

And here you have this lovely country where it is incredibly easy to get that place.

Literally. The ability to access food, water, and shelter is all your government owes you. I swear you are capable of doing more without a nanny government.

[-] 1 points by Businessman (34) 12 years ago

Other countries owe us debt as well, America isn't the only country in debt.

Every nation is in debt. That's the problem. But in debt to whom? Their own citizens? That wouldn't be a problem.

No, the nations (and their citizens) are indebted to international criminals. Wake up, folks.

[-] -1 points by usastrong (0) 12 years ago

You need to be in a body bag or go to work. Although I doubt anyone would be willing to pay to a living wage, only what you are worth.

[-] 1 points by Corium (246) 12 years ago

Well.. really nobody gets paid what they are worth. Even Chaz. Everybody gets paid for the problem they solve. Serving coffee is a minimum wage problem. Managing a chain of coffee shops is a more expensive problem. Providing affordable user friendly computers to folks... that's a really expensive problem! Those who want more money should go solve expensive problems!

I am a problem solver - an engineer, to be precise.

What kind of engineer?

The overqualified but employed kind.

Nice :-) I operate a reactor, and often times remind my coworkers that we are not worth more than the guy sweeping the floor in the halls, we just solve a more expensive problem for the company. My coworkers actually bitch that they are not paid enough.