Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Israel plan to uproot 30,000 Bedouin -"Kindness" of Israel

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 29, 2011, 3:47 a.m. EST by justanobserver (29)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/israel-plan-uproot-30-000-bedouin-431671.html

Bulldozed by Israel more than two dozen times, a village known by Bedouin Arabs as Al-Arakib is one of many ramshackle desert communities whose names have never appeared on any official map. If Israel's parliament adopts proposed new legislation, it never will. The plan to demolish more Bedouin homes in the southern Negev region and move 30,000 people to government-authorised villages connected to power and water lines has been hailed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a "historic opportunity" to improve Bedouin lives.

30 Comments

30 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 12 years ago

The USA should probably sell them more weapons so they don't have to use bulldozers. ~sarcasm

[-] 1 points by superomenna1 (89) 12 years ago

Palestinian girl tries not to cry on live TV, as Israelis expel her family from their home and happily move in.

http://youtu.be/kdFVHlcxDGM

[-] 1 points by TrevorMnemonic (5827) 12 years ago

Sounds like the banks in America after a foreclosure when the sheriffs evict people.

[-] 0 points by justanobserver (29) 12 years ago

Funded by the Fed and Bank of England and others -

[-] 1 points by gmxusa (274) 12 years ago

Israel is given a free pass to do whatever they want with anyone, as long the US supports it unconditionally. The battle to save Palestine has to be done in the US Congress.

[-] 2 points by Rico (3027) 12 years ago

The Bedouin are nomadic people, and their 'homes' are tents. Rather than simple roust them like Europe rousts the gypsies, Israel is offering them homes.

I for one do not think OWS is the proper forum for people to advocate against Israel or in any other way try to influence OWS members to one side or another about complex international squabbles. The 'pro-Israel' folks could just as easily blanket these forums with pictures of Palestinian bombers, etc. It's a complex problem, and passions are easily fanned by selective presentation of either side.

We, the USA, have been trying to get Israel and the Palestinians to work through things peaceably for decades. I'm not sure there's much more we can do. These folks simply need to learn to get along.

What is so complex about Israel stealing other people's land? Americans should be responsible for their government relationship with criminal Israel. Here is an excerpt from the Council for the National Interest:

"Many of the most serious dangers facing Americans today stem from our highly unusual relationship with Israel.

Our uniquely massive support for Israel has cost trillions of dollars and multitudes of lives. It has diminished our moral standing in the world, lessened our domestic freedoms, and exposed us to unnecessary and growing peril.

The majority of Americans – as well as our diplomatic and military experts – oppose this unique relationship.

Yet, special interest lobbies continue to foment policies that are disastrous for our nation and tragic for the region.

If we are to have sensible, effective policies that promote safety rather than danger, then it is essential that all Americans become active and informed. Lives depend on it."

http://www.councilforthenationalinterest.org/

[-] 1 points by Rico (3027) 12 years ago

'Stealing other people's land' The village in question is near Beersheba, and to the best of my knowledge that's solidly inside the long recognized borders of Israel.

Sorry, my mistake.

During the War of Independence and Expansion of Israel, Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion gave the green light to conquer the city of Bir Seb'a, the Arabic name as it was known. The order called for the "conquest of Beersheba, occupation of outposts around it, [and] demolition of most of the town." Israeli Air Force bombing raids began during the night of October 18/19, 1948. The Arab residents fled en masse the next day on foot and in buses. More bombing raids followed that night, and on October 21 at 4:00 in the morning, the 8th Brigade's 89th battalion and the Negev Brigade's 7th and 9th battalions moved in, some of the troops advancing from Mishmar HaNegev junction, 20 kilometres (12 mi) north of Beersheba, others from the Turkish train station and Hatzerim. By 09:45, the Egyptian forces were surrounded and Beersheba was in Israeli hands.

[-] 1 points by Rico (3027) 12 years ago

Right. You cleverly downplay until your very last statement that "the Egyptian forces were surrounded and Beersheba was in Israeli hands." Care to explain what the Egyptions were doing so far north of their borders ?

This is what I meant about the complexity of the Israeli / Palestine problem. Israel was founded after the Ottoman Empire was defeated in WW I. In fact, many of the Arab nations we know today were created just after WW I. Israel was founded by the British Mandate for Palestine under the League of Nations in 1922. This "carving up of the spoils of war" was very common at the time and times prior. Remember, the Jews themselves were overrun by conquering nations several times over their history.

I am not apologizing for Israel here, I am simply trying to get folks to stop with the one sided commentary on affairs in the region. It is a very complex problem with long roots in history. It demands more than sound-bites, and few are qualified to speak knowledgeably or in a balanced fashion about this topic.

[-] 1 points by Peretyatkov (241) from город Пенза, Пензенская область 12 years ago

To the People of Israel!

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

Like most unauthorised Bedouin villages, Al-Sira is not hooked up to Israel's electricity grid. Alamour and his neighbours have installed their own solar panels to generate electricity, supplementing the supply with power generators.

[-] 1 points by zoom6000 (430) from St Petersburg, FL 12 years ago

I like to see state of Israell to be destroid, just take some of the good people out

[-] 1 points by PandoraK (1678) 12 years ago

"Clean your own porch before you go trying to clean mine." Is some pretty good advise for all of us.

We have enough problems here that need addressing. Problems that if the don't get addressed there won't be any choice on anyone's part what to do or not do for others.

So let's let Israel, Syria and whatever other country worry about itself for now and do more worrying over OUR country and at least attempt to do something about it.

[-] 1 points by justanobserver (29) 12 years ago

Can you imagine how much better the world would be if the US just improved conditions in the US and not be involved in the Middle East.

At the moment I am more concerned with how much better the US would be if the US just improved conditions in the US. Fix us first, the world can wait it's turn.

Precisely, keeping out of someone else's business is good for everyone, this time especially the US and sorry if it helps the world :-).

If the US went about the business of taking care of the US first, it's my believe that the world would benefit, just as the world is now participating in OWS like movements in solidarity with us. They aren't doing it for altruistic reasons alone, everything we do affects them, just as everything they do affects us.

A goodly portion of the world looks to us for 'leadership', no I don't mean that kind of leadership, I mean the leadership of showing the world how to improve ourselves and by taking care of our own...look around, other countries follow, adapt our ways to fit their society.

By bringing up all the 'ills' of the world expecting OWS or any grassroots movement to champion those ills, we take away from focusing on what's wrong here. Let's fix us first.

[-] 1 points by gmxusa (274) 12 years ago

"Not be involved in the Middle East" also means saving Billions of dollars in futile, pointless wars and spending it here at home.

and making the whole world safer.

[-] 1 points by MitchK (305) 12 years ago

thank god you posted this it should be a great point of view as to what OWS stands for and what "our" mission statement is. I guess we can talk about ANYTHING WE want and push our primary purpose to the side, let it flounder and die,lets not concern ourselves with what we wanted changed and stopped,no matter how sad world hungar is its not for this platform people,wait sorry sorry this is not the platform for your global warming nonsen...oh wait this was about Isreal doing what america did to the indians,wait I got it now its about .....Here we go again can any explain why we are here,the whole 99 v 1 things the corrpution in govt , etc....Guess OWS has nothing to do with OWs anymore

[-] 1 points by leavethecities (318) 12 years ago

Dont bedouins have no homes

[-] 1 points by EricBlair (447) 12 years ago

Kinda like Andrew Jackson.

Maybe they'll put Netanyahu on the 20 Shekel note.