Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr

Forum Post: Is this 1964? Because if so I should be an infant still instead of 48

Posted 11 years ago on Aug. 15, 2012, 9:21 p.m. EST by msakinfolarin (0) from Helendale, CA
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Please remember the Freedom Riders and don't let the legacy of those who lived or those who died to allow us the right to vote. Please, if you are in the area of Philidelphia, see what you can contribute to get folks the ID they need to exercise their right as American's to VOTE!



Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by jbgramps (159) 11 years ago

I remember 1964 very well. I'm older than you. It was the year I first got laid. A great year to be a teen. Before Viet Nam. Then I got drafted and the real world slapped me in the face.

[-] 1 points by Mooks (1985) 11 years ago

So all in all, would you say it was a good year? Seriously though, thanks for your service.

[-] 1 points by SingleVoice (158) 11 years ago

I thought the ID's in PA were free?

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

That may be - but if you don't have the required paperwork required to get that free ID you may very well end up spending money as well as time to get that paperwork for your free ID.

[-] 1 points by SingleVoice (158) 11 years ago

They have set up a group to help people to get their ID's and have alloted over 1 million dollars to fund it.


This is taken from the DMV website of PA: $13.50 fee for acquiring an Identification Card will be waived for individuals completing the Oath/ Affirmation Voter ID form. All identification documentation is still required to obtain an Identification Card as follows:

Step1 To obtain a Pennsylvania Photo Identification card, an individual needs to visit a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver License Center with a completed Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card; form DL-54A, and the following:

Social Security Card (This is free to apply for or get a copy of) AND One of the following: Certificate of U.S. Citizenship Certificate of Naturalization Valid U.S. Passport *Birth Certificate with a raised seal (See below to have this handled for free) PLUS

Two proofs of *residency such as lease agreements, current utility bills, mortgage documents, W-2 form, tax recordsIf they do not have a birth certificate with a raised seal and are a Pennsylvania native; and do not have one of the acceptable, alternative forms of photo identification to vote; and will provide a signed oath/affirmation form, when visiting the PennDOT driver license center, they must:

Tell the PennDOT customer service representative they are a Pennsylvania native who needs a photo ID for voting purposes, and do not have a certified copy of their birth certificate; Sign an oath/affirmation that they do not have an acceptable form of ID for voting purposes and the photo ID is needed for voting purposes; Show a Social Security card and two proofs of residence, such as a deed, lease, tax bill, or utility bill; Fill out a DL-54A form requesting a non-driver photo ID and; Complete the HD01564F (Request for Certification of Birth Record for Voter ID Purposes Only) form, which collects information such as birth name, mother and father's name and place of birth. This Department of Health form is available at all Driver Licensing Centers. PennDOT will then forward the completed form to the Department of Health, which maintains birth records. After verifying the birth record is on file, the Department of Health will securely transmit this information to PennDOT. PennDOT will then notify them by letter that their birth record has been confirmed. They may then return to any driver license center, with the above noted documentation, to receive your free photo ID for voting purposes. This verification process will take about ten days and does not require the payment of a fee.

[-] 2 points by Mooks (1985) 11 years ago

It seems reasonable enough. I've jumped through much larger hurdles to get things done at the state level.

Obviously this is still a political stunt, but I think we still need a better system than simply saying I am John Smith and I am here to vote. Even though the GOP is pushing these laws, I am very hesitant to conclude that the Dems are taking the moral high ground. I have no doubt in my mind that if poor minorities (who are least likely to have IDs) overwhelmingly voted for the GOP the Dems would be pushing these same laws and the GOP would oppose them. No doubt.

From a common sense perspective, this makes sense as opposed to just taking someone's word, especially if everything is indeed free. None of that documentation is hard to get.

And besides, how can you really call yourself an American until you have spent time at your local DMV.

[-] 1 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 11 years ago

The last comment alone is worth an up-vote.

[-] 1 points by SingleVoice (158) 11 years ago

I agree...

[-] 1 points by Mooks (1985) 11 years ago

What kind of paperwork are they requiring?

[-] 1 points by SingleVoice (158) 11 years ago

I just posted what is necessary above. It is all free.

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 11 years ago

google it. or take a look for the post that was made about the PA issue.