Posted 12 years ago on Oct. 3, 2011, 5:48 p.m. EST by Student
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Please read this whole thing and don't skip over it and dismiss it because you don't agree with it. We all need to open our minds if we are to plan the future of the Occupy Wall Street Movement.
This may make many mad, as you and I have all been raised to think that Capitalism is the only way and that the future belongs to capitalism. However Capitalism, as most of you have figured out (though most of the public hasn't really figured out) is not working, at least our capitalist system. We need to decide soon what we have to do to go forward, however I can tell you what we can't do.
Many people suggest we need to heavily reform capitalism. That seems like it would work, but it will not. If you think about it here is why: Right now we are in ruin, wealth has concentrated itself to the top 1% leaving us 99% to suffer. This is mostly due to the slow stripping of regulations over the past few decades. FDR heavily reformed capitalism and made it a lot better for the common person after the great depression, however almost everything that he has done has been reversed. If we reform Capitalism we will be facing this same problem within the next 50-60 years. As the rich develop in reformed Capitalism, they slowly get more political power. Even if they get rid of a few regulations every year, it still all piles up. The more regulations they lobby and get rid of, the more wealth they accumulate and the more political power they get. That allows them to slowly lobby and strip more regulations away. This will happen no matter what, it is like a small hole in a damn, slowly the water will keep eroding it until the dam breaks.
Many people get mad and say "We need to stay with Capitalism" and "We can't become Socialist". However, you have been conditioned to associate Socialism with USSR/China/Eastern Europe. This is not the case. Socialism does not mean you are taxed all your money or you pay for everyone else. That is what is propagated in our society to make socialism sound less appealing. It would be a society that is working together to benefit each other. Socialism and Democracy are twin systems, as now, the workplace and economy is Democratic, and follows the peoples want. We can develop our own system here easily. It is NOT against human nature, that is a lie propagated as a nail in the coffin of Socialist Ideals. We now, with our technology, have the capability to eliminate and mechanize almost all work in our society. In a capitalist system, this is bad as workers get laid off. However, in a socialist system, this would be great, as everyone would get to work less. This is not outside of our realm, we as a society could make great advances. We can do this all under a Democratic Socialist system, where the PEOPLE make up the government and all tools/industry is owned together by the people.
Thats the end of my rant. Lol please don't dismiss it or not read it because you don't agree, we all need to listen and hear each other out.