Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Imagine what 30,000 people could do!

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 19, 2011, 5:24 p.m. EST by JoeTheFarmer (2654)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Occupying the park for two months got people’s attention. Now the question becomes what are the answers.

Imagine taking the energy of banging drums and using it to hammer nails to build homes for the poor through Habitat for Humanity. Imagine using that energy to plant seeds and then harvest a million pounds of food for the poor via America’s Grow a Row. The great thing about these types of groups is that you do not need to have money to help. You volunteer your time to help others.

Grow a row is an idea in a small town that started with a father and daughter planting a row in their garden for the poor. The idea moved to a local farm that donated an acre of land. I would love to see this idea spread across the nation.

http://americasgrowarow.org/

People helping people is the best way to make a difference. You’ll feel great too!

13 Comments

13 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by JoeTheFarmer (2654) 12 years ago

What is great is that when folks that are taking waht you call a "hand out" find out where it came from they often end up volunteering to help. Very few want to take without giving. Some just cannot due to age or disability.

The same holds true for Habitat for Humanity, in fact they require volunteer hours to get a home.

[-] 1 points by occupiedinCHI (23) 12 years ago

This is fine, but it doesn't address systemic inequalities. In fact it allows us to ignore them and keeps the poor dependent upon handouts.

[-] 2 points by JoeTheFarmer (2654) 12 years ago

That is total bullshit and a cop out.

There will always be poor and I will always do what I can to help them and teach my children to do the same.

[-] 1 points by occupiedinCHI (23) 12 years ago

I'm not denouncing it - you're right that there will always be poor. Keep doing what you're doing, but it isn't a replacement for addressing the systemic issues. There should be far fewer poor. I think we need them to make us feel charitable.

So now you are demeaning charity in gerneral. That is a heartless thing to say "we need them to feel charitable"

You don't do these things for the feeling you do it because it is the right thing to do.

You will never fix the "systematic issues" I am not telling you not to try however I am telling you that 300,000 people doing small acts of human kindness will probably do more for humanity than blocking traffic on a bridge.

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by Peace1969 (5) from Billerica, MA 12 years ago

This is a great idea! :D

I would love to see it spread on several levels.

First, folks who have gardens would just plant a row and a few extra plants for the food pantry. You would be amazed at how many zucchinis you get from one plant.

Second, some community gardens where folks get together and plant, tend, and harvest.

Seeds are really cheap and volunteer time is free.

I love to garden, so I will most definitely take part. And to help spread the world, I'll mention this on my blog and website.

Thanks!

It is a great way to teach children the rewards of volunteering. The community garden brings the community together with after planting parties, weeding parties, after harvest celebrations, fund raising events.

No problem! Volunteering is a fabulous thing, and though I've never been a part of a community garden yet, it sounds like it's really great. :)

I watched and found that was very utopian, idealistic, and I think will take a long time to acheive if ever.

What I was talking about was things we can do right NOW to help those who need help. I think relying on and helping each other will provide better results than empowering and expecting the government to do it.

[Removed]