Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: HR3806

Posted 12 years ago on Feb. 4, 2012, 3:27 a.m. EST by Nevada1 (5843)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

"One Subject At A Time Act"

19 Comments

19 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by MonetizingDiscontent (1257) 12 years ago

Yes this is a great Idea that has been gaining momentum for several years.

~ Excellent Post Nevada1! ~

One Subject at a Time Act: (OSTA)

https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/one-subject/

Congress routinely passes unpopular laws. How? They combine them with unrelated bills that are sure to pass. The "One Subject at a Time Act" (OSTA) would prevent this.

The REAL ID Act is a perfect example of how Congressional leaders pass laws that lack majority support. This bill created a scheme Americans have always opposed — a national ID card. This idea had so little support that it couldn't even be brought to a vote in the Senate. Yet . . .

Congressional leaders got it passed anyway, by attaching it to a bill Senators were afraid to oppose — the "Emergency, Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief." (May, 2005)

Senators were scared to reject funding for the troops in Iraq and Tsunami relief, so the REAL ID Act became the law of the land.

Here's another example...

The Senate majority leader wanted to be a moral busy body. However, he lacked the votes to prohibit online poker. He simply attached his unwanted legislation to a Port Security bill that most in Congress favored. The result . . .

Online gambling was outlawed, and a whole industry was destroyed!

OSTA would prevent such outrages by requiring that . . .

• Each bill must be about one subject only
  • Legislation passed in violation of this requirement will be considered null-and-void by the courts

Plus...

Politicians will no longer be able to hide the true subjects of their bills behind propagandistic titles such as the "PATRIOT Act," the "Protect America Act," or the "No Child Left Behind Act." No one wants to be accused of voting against patriotism, or protecting America, or of wanting to leave children behind. But none of those titles actually describes the subjects of those bills. Therefore...

OSTA requires that all titles describe what a bill will actually do, so that Congress and the public can know what the "one subject" is. Good examples of proper titles are the "Read the Bills Act," or the "Write the Laws Act," and the "One Subject at a Time Act."

In conclusion, OSTA will...

• Make bills shorter, and easier to understand
  • Replace propagandistic titles with descriptive names
  • Require that all new laws are favored by a real Congressional majority
  • Render bills that violate these requirements unenforceable

(((You can read the full 5-page OSTA text here))): http://www.downsizedc.org/osta-legislation

Use the form at right to send your elected representatives a letter about this issue. -It's Easy-

(((Send Your Letter Here))): https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/one-subject/

• Your position will be counted by each Congressional office,
  • Will educate the Congressional staffer who reads it,
  • May be passed up the chain of command,
  • May receive a reply (many DC Downsizers get them). If you receive such a letter, please share it with DownsizeDC at: Comments@DownsizeDC.org.

[-] 1 points by Nevada1 (5843) 12 years ago

Hi Monitizing, Signed. Thank you for information and links. Best Regards, Nevada

[-] 2 points by MonetizingDiscontent (1257) 12 years ago

My pleasure. This is a fantastic common sense bill, short, sweet & concise. The way they should be. I hope it catches on, and advances.

[-] -1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Signed it and copied your comment and link to my post "can your voice make a difference on-line"

This is a real possible game changer.

The truth in legislation act. Got to love it.

Hi GirlFriday, Thank you for posting link. Best Regards, Nevada

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 12 years ago

Your welcome , Nevada.

Thanks GF.

I added this to my post - can your voice make a difference on-line. And no doubt will add it to a couple of others.

[-] 2 points by JoeTheFarmer (2654) 12 years ago

This was part of the Tea Party pledge that a number of congressmen signed before they were elected. It took them more than a year to get to it but I am certainly happy this is moving forward.

Let's hope it passes without a lot of amendments!

Lets push it through.

[-] 2 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

further congressional members should be not allowed to vote on bills they havn't read

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (5843) 12 years ago

Agree.

[-] 2 points by BradB (2693) from Washington, DC 12 years ago

I agree.. it's a good start

[-] 2 points by LetsGetReal (1420) from Grants, NM 12 years ago

This could be very useful legislation. I will be interested in seeing the text of the proposed bill when it becomes available.

Everyone should see this post.

[-] 1 points by timirninja (263) 12 years ago

This legislation was introduced by Rep Tom Marino of Pennsylvania. Please ask your representatives to support this bill.

[-] 0 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 12 years ago

Keep it clean and eliminate abuse. This is the way to stop a lot of manipulation. One horse in the race, easy to observe and to critique. A major game changer for regaining control of good legislation and denying bad legislation.

Thanks N1 :

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (550) 8 minutes ago

HR3806---To end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by congress be limited to only one subject, and for other purposes. Please contact your representatives and express support. See link below for more info.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/hr3806 ↥like ↧dislike reply permalink