Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Gun Homicide Passing Vehicular by 2015 ~ Not ONE More!

Posted 9 years ago on May 29, 2014, 11:03 p.m. EST by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Richard Martinez Rails Against NRA 'Stop This Madness!': Victim's Father Rips NRA

Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg. (MORE): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da974B1gSUw

Richard Martinez told the press: "Our son Chris Martinez and six others are dead. Our family has a message for every parent out there: You don't think it will happen to your child until it does."

After explaining how beloved his son was, and how hurtful his loss is for the family, Martinez took aim at those he believes should be held responsible for the mass shooting: Why did Chris die? Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA. They talk about gun rights. What about Chris's right to live? When will this insanity stop? When will enough people say, "Stop this madness!" Too many have died. We should say to ourselves, "Not one more!"

Chris Martinez was one of seven people (including the perpetrator) killed in a series of shootings on Friday evening in Isla Vista, California. The suspect, Elliot Rodger, was found dead in his vehicle after a brief police chase.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015.html

Tell and Compel Pledge™

TELL legislators what sane gun laws we want passed. COMPEL the legislators to pass these laws.

Put senseless gun violence to an end once and for all.
http://gunvictimsaction.org/tell-and-compel-pledge/

ONE MILLION 'Not One More' POSTCARDS:

250,000 Americans Send Postcards to Political Leaders to Demand an End to Gun Violence

Everytown and Moms Launched Automatic Postcard Campaign Yesterday to Honor Wishes of Richard Martinez, Father of Santa Barbara Shooting Victim, Who Asked Americans to Send Postcards to Elected Officials Gun Violence Survivors and Experts Available to Speak on Martinez's

(hashtag) NotOneMore Call to Action; www.everytown.org

Name 1 public service, right or privilege that doesn't get put on hold or suspended when it starts killing-off the general public? Just fucking GUNS!!!

96 Comments

96 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

The 1%-Cons use guns/2nd amendment/BS to keep us de-united!

[-] 1 points by HCabret2014 (-11) 9 years ago

Guns make people think differently from one another? MIND BLOWN!!!! Literally.

[-] 3 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

No, not "think differently," hostile and afraid of one another.

Think beyond the Fox Lies memes, probably feels weird at first, but soon you'll feel your mind expand as it responds to the liberty of free thought.

What? I didn't say anything about being hostile and/or afraid. I just wasn't aware that's caused disagreement.

Quit hitting yourself, open your Fox Lies mind.

[-] 0 points by HCabret2014 (-11) 9 years ago

Why do you automatically assume that because I disagree with you that I automatically agree with Fox News? Am I missing something? I'm not even sure what it is that disagree with you about.

Years of experience and the narrow array of Fox Lies simplistics you parrot on the board. For example: Only righties believe disunity "leads to independent thought."

Now here's something you can learn form: Weekend Gun Report: May 30-June 1, 2014: http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/category/gun-report/

No. That is not what I said. I said unity leads to group thought. A million ideas are better than one idea.

People stop being so butthurt when they come across someone who disagrees with them.

[-] 1 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

Unity leads to empowerment and freedom!

Prosperity and longevity!

Not group think, that's what disunity leads to!

Unity is just code for "everyone should think like me". Unity and solidarity lack the spontaneity of individual thought.

[-] 2 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

Name 1 public service, right or privilege that doesn't get put on hold or suspended when it starts killing-off the general public? GUNS!!!

[-] -3 points by HCabret2014 (-11) 9 years ago

What about cocaine? Or alcohol?

[-] -1 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

How so? Not sure I understand what you mean. I don't see your logic.

[-] -1 points by HCabret2014 (-11) 9 years ago

He (wsmith) said that guns help keep "us" disunited. I was not aware that guns lead to independent thought.

[-] -2 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

Got it. I guess I'm getting paranoid about these anti-gun nuts.

[-] 1 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

One would think disarming the government and the police might be the first priority considering all the people they are killing and locking up.

You do realise that I am also "anti-gun", don't you? I just don't like when people argue in favour of collectivism or group thought. Guns unite, the lack of guns enlightens.

[+] -4 points by shadz66 (19985) 9 years ago

''How a Lack of Power and Guns Go Together'', by Thom Hartmann :

''Until the economy gets better, more and more people will hold up their guns as a way to feel powerful in a society that renders them powerless. This is just a fact.''

More fuel for your paranoia - or just a li'l rhyme and reason ?

ad iudicium ...

[-] 0 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

Hmmm, and to think all this time all I wanted to do was protect myself if my life is threatened. How is that irrational?

[+] -4 points by shadz66 (19985) 9 years ago

Deadly personal weapons are like a new 'opium of the masses' and are very good at conveying 'the illusion of freedom and security' .. whilst simultaneously making everyone more unsafe and making corporations lots of money. Sadly, dead innocent people are now just 'collateral damage' apparently.

The bottom line seems to be the now seemingly religious affiliation of some gun loving folks to the 2nd Amendment, but with no recourse to ''well regulated militia'' or questioning the specious equivalence of the flint lock firearms of the time - with the powerful, high-calibre automatic weapons of the modern era.

Do you believe that any and all weaponry is permissible for your 'safety' ? Is there a rational and logical equivalence between how you treat guns & cars ? Finally, please try to engage the salient points here :

veritas vos liberabit ...

[Removed]

[-] -1 points by wickerman (62) 9 years ago

Gun control is not an occupy issue. It has nothing at all to do with defeating the 1%, it is an issue used by people like yourself to spread disunity and to keep the 99% divided. So are you taking advantage of a tragedy to promote your own agenda, or are you a provocateur paid to spread disunity?

[-] 3 points by 99nproud (2697) 9 years ago

Occupy supports divestment from gun companies

OccupytheNRA has become the campaigntounload

https://www.facebook.com/CampaigntoUnload

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/occupy-nra-lobbying-firms-gun-control

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171785/occupy-nra

On twitter:

https://twitter.com/OccupyTheNRA

So I think you might be inaccurate when you say it ain't an occupy issue huh?

[-] 1 points by turbocharger (1756) 9 years ago

Theres an occupy everything these days...

Divest from gun companies

Legacy of a disgusted populace struggling to break the grip of corp oligarchs.

Thx to OWS, progressive, liberal voices have found a common meme to fuel a growing mass movement.

[-] 0 points by wickerman (62) 9 years ago

If that's the case, you should advertise your anti-gun stance nationally so that people like myself don't accidentally think you represent us. Incidentally 50% of Americans oppose more gun control http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/2013/12/polls-consistently-show-that-over-the-last-couple-decades-more-people-are-opposing-more-gun-control/. So let us all know, if this is another Occupy agenda so we can find someone who is truly interested in fighting the 1%, instead of fighting the Democrats battles for them. I will be more than happy to pass this on for you as well.

If you don't support reasonable gun regulation then we will just have to agree to disagree.

No big deal.

I prefer the economic equity battles myself. But I certainly support divestment from gun companies.

You don't? Not suggesting gun control legislation just divestment.

Gun corps are still corps, and are as much of the problem as any corporation. My point has not been to argue any reasonable gun control, it has been to not argue gun control at all. It isn't a consensus issue, it is a divisive issue. The only thing that we accomplish by arguing it is to further divide the movement. It is an issue with deep roots for both sides of the debate. I think it is kinda like arguing about what color to paint the kitchen while the house is on fire.

[-] 4 points by 99nproud (2697) 9 years ago

Can't agree with the flippant house paint analogy because we are talking about human life.

How about laws that punish those corps for "losing guns"? Thousands are lost every year.

Certainly the right to bear arms isn't abridged if manufacturers keep better track of deadly weapons, is it?

I thought occupy was in favor of increasing human freedom, not promoting a pro violence stance. Occupy is against anything which causes or promotes violence of any kind.

You should read more of the posts on here, some of them are promoting a violent seizure of property. As for your personal opinions, I could care less if you are anti-gun, or pro-gun, as long as we are focused on divesting the 1% and removing them from power. Anything else, at this point is a distraction. I am sure that this issue is important to you and many other occupiers. I just see it as another way to divide the 99%, just my opinion, but we should be focused like a laser on one issue, the 1%.

I do read the posts here. And I have been posting on here for a long time now (on and off). This website is about the exchange ideas, not agreeing with everything you say.

We have different ideas about what occupy's goal should be.

I thought it was to remove the 1% from power.

I thought it was to promote equality and freedom for all the people of the US. Would you rather everyone be rich or everyone be poor?

If we don't get the 1% out of power we are all going to be poor.

And if we do get them out of power then only 99% of us will be rich. That sound just as bad as it is now to me. It would really fuckin suck to be in the 1% on the bottom. The poorest of the poor, the scum of the world can suck it, I'm part of the 99% on top!

OK, this is my rant for the day. This whole 99% and 1% thing thrown around is just a marketing phrase. Somehow it’s supposed to make people think OWS is the champion of the 99%. It’s not true.

The US is divided almost in half between liberals and conservatives, give or take a few points in some geographical areas. Most conservatives are working class people who just believe in conservative values. They are not part of the 1% and they could care less about OWS or any other liberal cause. My point is the statement that OWS supports the 99% is wrong. Not even close to being true.

So, remember every time you curse conservatives you are including tens of millions of the 99%.

As for guns, I like John Stewart’s statement. “As long as the criminals and gangbangers have guns I’m not giving up mine”.

My view is we have to stop hating each other. Both liberals and conservatives demonize each other so much it seems like we’re near a civil war at times. If anything is to be accomplished stop the hate on both sides. So, take a republican to lunch today 

[-] 1 points by wickerman (62) 9 years ago

That has been my point since I got here. I am a somewhat conservative member of society. I may not agree with most progressive agendas. I do agree with getting the money out of politics, and with divesting the 1%, as well as some sort of reform for corporations (corporations aren't people and shouldn't have the same rights as people). Yet because I am not a progressive, I have had nothing but problems since coming to this forum. I have intentionally avoided divisive issues, except to point out that they are divisive. I have put my hate aside, and extended an olive branch. It is too bad that most folks on here, who would preach tolerance in most other circumstances, can't do the same.

I feel the same way. Hate has become the norm just about everywhere. Too many people think if they rant, call names and vilify those who have a different view it will make things better. And so nothing happens but more shrill voices and more hate. It seem to be the standard mindset today form both liberals and conservatives.

[-] 2 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

What a coincidence, "wickerman" uses strawman rhetorical tactics.

Guns are pumped and dumped into the crab bucket the 1% has us 99% confined in, precisely to keep us divided by the subsequent fear and hostility massive and irresponsible gun infusion causes.

Just another tactic the 1% is using on the 99% in the classwar most of us are oblivious to, and losing because of it.

WTFU People!! Unite and WIN! 2010 Never EVER Again!!

[-] 0 points by nakedsex (94) 9 years ago

Aye, unite. Demand response until they have no choice but to do the right thing. It's not hard to know what the right thing is because it's exactly what they're avoiding for the sake of shenanigans.

Just like the gun control debate? Just another tactic you, oh the 1% is using to keep us divided?

OK, tell us who funds the pro-gun-free-for-all, NRA and ALEC anti-gun-regulation laws and candidates? Koch Bros & Suckers!

Con-Zombie MO 101: Really lame and obviously erroneous debate and propaganda tactics. Why don't you just say, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Why do you keep hitting yourself?

Looks like your the other side of the debate. We are still talking about this instead of the 1%. Looks like your plan is working.

[Removed]

Still wasting time?

[-] -1 points by shadz66 (19985) 9 years ago

Re. guns n' things that go bang and kill people - consider : is there any equivalence to ... cars ?! Do you need to provide proof of competence and of being compos mentis and anything wrong with licencing and registration ?!! Should powerful guns just be freely available to just any and all with NO controls at all ?!!!

ad iudicium et fiat lux ...

The 1% is still getting richer. If you want to do more than whine on this forum, check out https://represent.us/about. Otherwise lets try and really polarize America, go left/fight paradigm.

So you are right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong? I get it now!

[-] -2 points by shadz66 (19985) 9 years ago

There are very few true 'consensus issues' and where there are different and divergent views, the arguments must be put forward at least, even if they are contested or 'unacceptable' ergo, again :

The bottom line seems to be the now seemingly religious affiliation of some gun loving folks to the 2nd Amendment, but with no recourse to ''well regulated militia'' or questioning the specious equivalence of the flint lock firearms of the time - with the powerful, high-calibre automatic weapons of the modern era.

Deadly personal weapons are like a new 'opium of the masses' and are very good at conveying 'the illusion of freedom and security' .. whilst simultaneously making everyone more unsafe and making corporations lots of money. Dead innocent people are just 'collateral damage' apparently, sad sigh.

ad iudicium et fiat pax ...

[-] -3 points by shadz66 (19985) 9 years ago

http://anticorruptionact.org/ and https://represent.us/ - do seem like really worthy web-sites to research.

But also be beware .. ''astroturfing, or fake grassroots organizing, to demonstrate how corporations and politicians undermine social democracy via sock puppets, front groups, and false online personas.'' and thus please consider the following well argued and revealing li'l cartoon :

Polarizing the already divided and heavily propagandised really isn't that hard & The Corporate US MSM BS are adept at it. People need to open their minds and soften their hearts, and try to coalesce around sound and reasoned arguments and try to leave their learnt behaviours and deep pre-programmed fears behind, on matters such as reasonable gun control & consider, ''whine'' may be an antonym of 'quiesce'.

fiat lux ...

[-] 2 points by HCabret2014 (-11) 9 years ago

The 1% who manufacture the guns and market them to poor communities so they can murder each other just so they can have the basic necessities of life?

You clearly have never been to the south side of Chicago; or London for that matter.

[Removed]

I've been to Chicago, and to 9th ward New Orleans, also to Kuwait back in 1990. It's why I have a concealed carry permit.

So you can fight the 99%? Instead of bringing them out of poverty, you just want kill em off.

Why can't you buy them food or clothing instead of shooting bullets at them?

And why do you have to hide it? Wouldn't a non concealed weapon be a better deterrent?

Non concealed isn't legal. I can't buy them anything if I'm dead.

Anyone can shove a piece down their pants (I am insulating that people with concealed carry permits are compensating). It takes a real man to walk down the street, walk up to a black guy in Chicago and say Hi!

Now that's a stupid remark. So you think the measure of a real man is to walk into gangland Chicago and start showing attitude? Even with a concealed gun I'm not that stupid. I doubt you are either.

No. The measure of a man is to be able to walk into gangland and not feel the need open fire.

I don't and never will have a concealed gun.

[Removed]

The legalisation of murder is not occupy issue?

[Removed]

No it has nothing to do with fighting the 1%, many of whom agree with you. Do you think they care if you disarm the public, their private security will still have guns. Ask Dianne Fienstien about her concealed carry permit, and then ask her why the latest gun legislation proposal exempted her and every other government employee. http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/32661-feinstein-gun-control-bill-to-exempt-government-officials/ Go ahead by all means sow more disunity. 50% of Americans now oppose more gun control http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/2013/12/polls-consistently-show-that-over-the-last-couple-decades-more-people-are-opposing-more-gun-control/. So are you for unity, or do wish to add more liberal agendas under the Occupy banner, until only liberal Democrats are left? Go ahead, I and 50 % of the population are waiting for an answer.

I can tell you that I'm definitely not for 'unity'. I'd like to think that in the past I made it clear that I am against majoritarian rule and that 50%+ of the population should not dictate morality to any minorities.

I can also tell you that I am against "gun control", I would rather see the 2nd amendment repealed than to see anymore shootings of any kind.

That's a tough one to answer, minority rule? Are you for direct democracy, or rule by a minority? Sorta like we have now a rule by the 1%, just a different minority. I agree that these shootings are a tragedy, were you aware that Roger also used a knife, a hammer and his car during his killing spree? That he more or less played out a video game in real life. Are you also aware that more than one person had reported him as a threat, but due to the existing laws the authorities could do nothing about it? I hear time and time again after the fact, "surly someone knew this was coming, why didn't they report it?" Well, they did. It just isn't legal for someone to be arrested for something they haven't done yet. I have a feminist friend, who sees this entirely differently than you do. She is railing about the rape culture, the culture that allowed this man to think that all women should be his for the choosing. That if they didn't accept him he had a right to kill them. He also killed his roommates with a knife, presumably because they had dates, and he didn't. There are a lot of issues here, Just nothing that helps us defeat the 1%. We can stand around arguing about guns all day, meanwhile the agenda of the 1% rolls on. Your choice really divide or unite against a common enemy.

I'm actually in favor an occupy-like consensus system similar to that used by the nycga.
I am in favor of banning cars (solve the environmental problem and the vehicular homicide problem). I am also in favour of people not buying violent video games.

You are pointing to a single shooting out of the 11,000 or so which annually in the us each year. Guns are just another form of oppression and are regularly used to maintain a system where it is legal to kill in the name of protecting private property.

OK then, you should be able to take things from me because you are physically stronger? Or to rape me because you are stronger? It sounds a lot like caveman anarchy to me. Well, anyway. Do you stand with me against the 1% or not?

You can fight without violence. Also I have no desire whatsoever to take anything from you, physically or otherwise, and I defiantly don't want to rape you, so don't flatter yourself.
We may be standing up against the same thing, but I refuse to stand with you on anything. Why don't we just stand on separate sides of the 1%, you point a gun at them and I can point my finger at them, and then we can see who will win.

The revolutionary war wasn't won with sticks. Here, how about we concentrate on getting this thing passed. http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/harry-reid-endorse-campaign-spending-limit-106716.html That would be a good first step, bring your finger, and I'll leave my gun at home. I think your finger will be more effective in this fight.

The revolutionary war was a violent farce! Also I wasn't born till the 1990s, soooo Yeah.

Also I am in favour of a separate on economy and state just as much as the next guy, money has no place in government.

I told you I'd win. :D didn't even have to clench a fist.

So Mr politics, how do we help get that one passed?

One what passed? Kidney stone? Cuz I heard that hurts like a bitch.

I suggest creating a common law republic, which is independent of the US government and all other existing governments.

And they have the stupid nerve and oblivious gall to scream about four deaths in Benghazi!!

Stupid and evil gun laws kill hundreds every week!!

The Gun Report: June 5, 2014: http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/category/gun-report/

Not One More, Postcards: http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2014/05/29/DC38002

[-] 3 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

Someone may have pointed this out -- if a citizen was carrying arms themselves they could have stopped this guy before all were killed. Most killings are the proverbial spoiled kid, and WHITE. Few exceptions, since white males are raised to do what they want without repercussion or discipline. You know, the 'he's all boy' excuse when they beat other kids. As adults the old boys club still exists, minorities are pilloried and hung out to dry for inconsequential but whites get away with literal murder. Addressing the mass shootings by addressing the psychological problems inherently present in these perpetrators is the key. Prevention. When there were a lot more guns there were less deaths because of gun abuse. Think about it and analyze why. I do not need to be told not to shoot. Neither do you. But are you willing to die because someone else is armed? Or stronger? What about the physically weak or disabled, which I am? You probably think I should 'go get a man' to defend me, i.e., deserve defense. I've been told that a few times by cops. What about families who suffer in home invasions? Again a person within the family who is trained in guns could prevent injury to their loved ones. It's the person and their choice not the weapons, and the culture of instant gratification and video game mentality encourages we decimate our enemies. Each shooter created an enemy mentality or projected characteristics to justify the action taken. There should be no more victims of anything. No murder, no rape, no violence. We should espouse more than peaceful protests, we should promote peaceful society. Then the need for self defense will be reduced and arms will be for hunting or competition.

You can't kill willy-nilly with a gun if you don't have a gun. Having one puts everyone in danger. Ban all guns until we work out a gun hobby that doesn't kill innocent people!!

The people's General Welfare trumps any and all bogus gun ownership rights!

[-] 2 points by pigeonlady (284) from Brooklyn, NY 9 years ago

Hi, Smith. Anyone can kill with improvised weaponry, and there are more stabbings than shootings lately. Be prepared This country disarming means all countries have to, or those who do are vulnerable or enslaved. Something odd here in NY there are people who become a cop briefly in order to retain carry rights indefinitely, a bizarre allowance. The military is breeding a huge number of uncontrollable murderers, who don't even remember they aren't supposed to kill unless told. The government determines the enemy and instructs the killing. Maybe more than we know. Just free associating.

[+] -5 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 9 years ago

idiot

No, dear child, I am a bitch. Thank you.

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

Someone may have pointed this out -- if a citizen was carrying arms themselves they could have stopped this guy

Huh - I wonder what that insane student with the pepper spray was thinking when................. Wait a mo .............. Huh . . . he did disarm the shooter. Well strictly speaking I "suppose" he was still armed - but with pepper spray.

Yeah, but that was great! He did a good job and kept his head. Absolutely great. He deserves more recognition.

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

[ EDIT ] Presidential visit and award? Hell he honors basketball teams and such - why not a real honest to god hero - this kid defended life without taking a life!

EDIT -> As it is very startling how little attention this has been given - huh - citizen does the exact right thing and ends up in basic obscurity.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." -God

[-] 1 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 9 years ago

Wow I can not believe that you got a downvote for that completely sane comment.

He deserves more recognition.

Yep - he does - sets a good example for all.

I am always armed and feel all should be as well - I was born with two - I also believe in upgrades such as pepper spray = non-lethal. Who "needs" to kill?

A creationist with a gun.

What if I don't want a gun at all in the first place? Should I be forced to possess a gun? Also what if I think hunting should also be banned?

I'm in favour of locking up young rich white males and censoring speech in the form of video games as much as the next guy, but are either an excuse to forcibly arm those of us who are anti-gun?

We can debate the fine points of psychoses and creating a monster as much as we like and it will not solve the problem. I do appreciate your statement 'What if I don't want a gun at all?' I used to feel that way since I was held at gunpoint when I was abused. For instance my older kids' father played Russian Roulette aiming a gun at my stomach when I told him I was pregnant besides holding it to my head. My kneejerk reaction was to be afraid of the gun and for the twins. (Incidentally, that guy had 40 guns buried in his yard and more at a relative's because of implementation of the Brady Law 30 years ago. What do you think he has now? Besides immunity for being a white guy with cop friends?) The gun does not ask to be used to shoot at the innocent. It's the mind of the perpetrators that need to be assessed but without invasive monitoring or 'bugging' brains the solution is defense. Until we arrive at a Utopian society, moneyless, peaceful, and constructive for the good of the individual and the whole, we have to deal with the reality of the present. Act for yourself as you see fit, but do not brand me and others who can handle themselves under the stress that makes others crack.

I'm not afraid of guns. I just like to think that I'm brave enough that I can through life without with the paranoia that someone going to point a gun at MRI think anyone with a gun is compensating for something.

[+] -4 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

Wow, a new opinion on gun violence that I haven’t heard before. It’s the over privileged White frat boys fault now? How about just mentally unstable people of any genre; or Chicago type gangbangers. Your post is sexist and comes across as a male hating type feminist. I mean it’s a macho problem, right?

However I do agree with you on carrying a gun may save your life. It’s kinda like “duh”, that’s the whole point of carrying a gun. If you noticed, most mass shootings occur in no-gun zones. Do you think maybe if someone had a gun in these zones it might save lives?

On the sexist issue -- like it or not, it's still almost entirely white males doing the mass shootings. Look it up. They weren't from the projects. They were often approved, by virtue of being in the military, for weapons possession. Yes, I think responsible person(s) carrying could have stopped most of these rampages. Also there are instances that our current tech makes sure we know who did it. Previously minorities could be set up much more easily. In one instance I was threatened by an NYPD officer who said something was going to happen to me and they would make it look like it was a black guy from the projects. Real life 101. I doubt IA did anything to him either. (white male officer, not posting name, 84th, in Brooklyn, 2008.)

I once had a similar experience - though it happened on a playground - I was only 5 - and the antagonist was not a police officer - just an older kid that figured he could get away with murder - though the cop used fear and the belief that he could get away with it - the kid threw out his reasoning as = he was a juvinal and so would only get a slap on the wrist - the cop? probably figured that even if he was caught ( because he was the law ) that he would only get a slap on the wrist as well.

[-] 0 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

Agreed, gun violence is probably 99% male. That includes mentally unstable school shooter, gang bangers and even suicides.

As for cops. I think the cops are still the good guys. I'm an old geezer and never had a bad encounter with cops. I'm a law abiding citizen, never been arrested. I have nothing to fear from the cops. My last contact with a cop was a pull over for speeding. As required by law I told the officer I had a revolver in the glove box. He said OK, just don't reach for it. he gave me a warning ticket and let me go. Maybe the cops are different in rural Texas than NYC?

[-] 1 points by Narley (272) 9 years ago

I absolutely agree with Stewart. These open carry long gun demonstrations are stupid and counterproductive. I've been giving the open carry guys hell on the Texas gun forums.

The open carry groups finally came to their senses and said they will no longer take their guns into businesses. They will still hold their rallies, but won't go into any business unless invited. Although they didn't say how\where future demonstrations will be held, I think it will be street corner rallies. IMHO, It's still a bad idea. The open carry guys are jerks.

By the way, open carry of handguns is legal in several States.

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 9 years ago

Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA

gun popularity is supported by the weapons market which the united states hold the most factories.

It's also sleazy Republicon political strategy!!

Obama: ‘We’re The Only Developed Country On Earth’ Where School Shootings Are Routine

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/06/11/3447179/shootings-by-the-numbers/

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by 99nproud (2697) 9 years ago
[+] -5 points by liberalsRfascists (-5) 9 years ago

There are more dui deaths than gun deaths. There are more abortions than gun deaths. Guns are just an inanimate tool! liberals need state sponsored guns so they can impose their fascist agenda on the world.

Name 1 public service, right or privilege that doesn't get put on hold or suspended when it starts killing-off the general public? GUNS!!!

I am in favor of banning cars too! Cars kill more than guns! I would love to live in fascist state, if it means I could deprive you of your guns and cars.

Source: I'm a raging liberal hell bent on the destruction of America, Christianity and the family. I love Muslims, gays, lesbians, Mexicans, young people and blacks. And I want to make everyone be an atheist.

Also banning cars would help slow climate change. So why not?