Forum Post: EU calls on Israel to halt plans for the "forced transfer of population & demolition of housing" in West Bank village
Posted 2 years ago on July 21, 2015, 10:49 p.m. EST by MattHolck0
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
Daniel Wickham @DanielWickham93 13h13 hours ago
EU calls on Israel to halt plans for the "forced transfer of population & demolition of housing" in West Bank village
EU foreign ministers have called on Israel to halt plans for the “forced transfer of population and demolition of Palestinian housing” in the West Bank village of Khirbet Susiya amid growing concerns that it may be knocked down in the coming days.
In a statement, the European foreign ministers echoed a warning delivered by the US government over the fate of the community of 350 in the south Hebron Hills.
Last week, John Kirby, a US State Department spokesman, warned that any demolition or evictions would be “harmful and provocative”. He said: “We’re closely following developments and we strongly urge the Israeli authorities to refrain from carrying out any demolitions in the village.”
Fears for the community have been growing since a visit by a senior Israeli military officer, who told villagers that 37 dwellings had been earmarked for demolition ahead of a scheduled appeal hearing on 3 August.