Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: Do Not Vote on Tuesday 11/8/11

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 7, 2011, 4:11 p.m. EST by darrenlobo (204)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

You have better things to do than take part in a fraud!

It is past time for people to face the reality of what voting really is, an endorsement of the evils that governments commit. I call on you not to take part in this fraud any more. Withhold your consent! Have the courage to join us in principled nonvoting and commit not to vote ever again. Remember, if you vote don’t complain! http://theinternationallibertarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/principled-nonvoting-beginning-of.html

8 Comments

8 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by LetsGetReal (1420) from Grants, NM 12 years ago

If you don't even show up to vote, how is anyone to know if it is 'principled nonvoting' or apathy?

At least show up and write in the name of someone you would like to see in office.

[-] 2 points by bnscu1 (4) 12 years ago

i hate to be a hater here, but this seems backwards. we are part of a system of government, whether we like it or not, and in order to effect change we all need to take part in that system. you may see voting as a fraud, and it very well could be a fraud, however if enough people who believe that it is a fraud, vote for candidates or measures that also see it as a fraud, then they can get elected or enacted and you can change the system from within.

its like gun control. if you have a strong enough opinion on gun control, one way or the other, you should join the NRA. they are a voting body with power and money and if enough like minded people joined the NRA, they can effect a change from within.

[-] 2 points by HitGirl (2263) 12 years ago

Way to hand the system to the Koch brothers. You getting paid for your efforts at voter suppression?

[-] 1 points by SwiftJohn (79) 12 years ago

While I will grant you that the candidates offered are often far less than attractive or representative refusing to vote is not taking a stand nor will it make them listen to you. Only voting for candidates that actually represent your interests, or writing in those that do, will make a political statement. Keep in mind that many of the elections tomorrow are for local candidates not just primaries. You will be asked to choose the mayors who set local investment goals or decide whether or not to take out loans from Citibank. You may be asked to pick school board members who decide whether or not to privatize our public schools. You may even be asked to vote for Sheriff, AG, or other law enforcement positions who decide whether or not to fire tear gas and prosecute OWS protesters. By all means vote. Excercize your power to write in candidates of your choosing, including yourself. Or, if no suitable candidates exist (and you are not willing to take their place) then write in "None of the above" to at least make your protest clear.

In voting, as in life, the end determined by the ones who show up and, in my experience, putting forward solutions, or better candidates is more useful than refusing to take part.

[-] 1 points by raines (699) 12 years ago

I will vote tomorrow.

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

err

I haven't recieved an election materials Forum Post: Do Not Vote on Tuesday 11/8/11

[-] 1 points by TheCloser (200) 12 years ago

Point well taken. I think mostly the actual monetary vote is where things squeeze them where it hurts the most.

[-] 0 points by julianzs (147) 12 years ago

This is a new presentation of disenfranchisement.